Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to Rotate Full Frame Image without Losing Edges or Zooming

Re: How to Rotate Full Frame Image without Losing Edges or Zooming 1 week, 5 days ago #207464

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
schrauber wrote:
NOTE: The 2D DVD effect removes transparency, which may make it problematic in this workflow, depending on where it is placed in the routing.

That's one of the reasons that I wrote my own 2D DVE. There's quite a lot wrong with the Lightworks-supplied version. I created a thread detailing the problems with it called "Addressing problems with the Lightworks DVE" in October last year which now seems to have been removed. Clicking on the link to it just returns an "Invalid post" error message.

The major problems relate to the way that transparency is handled. There are unexpected side effects to that which can create unexpected black areas in the frame, apply a drop shadow to the total frame area of transparent images, and punch through the drop shadow area when used with a downstream blend. These were all catalogued and illustrated with screen grabs in that thread. A less obvious problem of a single pixel error in position and masking was also found. That shows up as a positional jitter under the right circumstances when scaling and adjusting position.

You can see another user's discussion of the problems with examples in 2D DVE opacity problems with PNG +alpha, a thread started by andrixnet.
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by jwrl.

Re: How to Rotate Full Frame Image without Losing Edges or Zooming 1 week, 5 days ago #207467

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
bsol5071 wrote:
.. I want to rotate a square image (5000x5000 pixels in full frame) in a 4k video without having to zoom to avoid the DVE rotation showing the clip's black boundries on the top and bottom.

Again to example.mp4

schrauber wrote:
How would it be to replace background white with transparency?

Now it occurs to me that transparency is probably unnecessary with this background. A rotation effect could also be used, which reflects the white at the edges, so that the background is infinitely enlarged for the rotation effect. So similar to the first page in Post #206953.
One difficulty will be that your images will have a different aspect ratio than the project aspect ratio, but the "spin zoom" effect reflects at the edges of the project aspect ratio.

If you're interested, I could easily add a way to make the refection edges adjustable.

Alternatively, you could add white areas to the image background before rotation, so that the background is completely filled white, and then rotate with the current "Spin Zoom" effect. An adjustable rotation center currently has only the more complex variant of the effect called "Spin Zoom, RC".

The variant with adjustable reflection edges would have the advantage that potential colour deviations between the image background and the synthetic background could be avoided more easily.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: How to Rotate Full Frame Image without Losing Edges or Zooming 1 week, 5 days ago #207468

• bsol5071
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding -- the moving circle/graphical part of the last attached video is not made with Lightworks; it's an imported clip that I made using an alternative method. Only the text was added in Lightworks. If I do this exact thing in lightworks, the wobble that we've been discussing will make the circle move out of place while rotating. This was actually a bad example because it would require some complicated transparencies and routing since the gradient circle does not rotate.

In Lightworks, I can also do this type of video without zooming, it just requires an image key with a 3D DVE rotating it and the background in that workflow would be a 4k size blank white image, and then I route it so the background is the blank white image. I just can't do that with full frame rotations so I need the 3D DVE zoom in those cases.

I have some major issues with transparent PNGs in 15.6 beta (without any 2D DVEs, and ruining what worked well in 15.5), but I'll save that for another post.

Re: How to Rotate Full Frame Image without Losing Edges or Zooming 1 week, 5 days ago #207469

• bsol5071
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Here is a video showing the routing that I mentioned in the last post. Getting an all white or solid color background isn't an issue, but if I were to use a full frame graphic it would of course need the 3D DVE Z-axis zoom as we've been discussing.

I don't know if the wobble will be visible in the small version I upload, but the circle is definitely moving or wobbling as it rotates.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: How to Rotate Full Frame Image without Losing Edges or Zooming 1 week, 5 days ago #207470

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Oh, now notice that the edge reflection I mentioned would not be a good solution because at some distance unwanted reflections of the circle would appear. This is easy to change in the user effect code, so that only the edge color would be extended to the outside.

Do you have typical example images for which you need to use zoom in Lightworks? Then we can see if there could be appropriate solutions for this image in Lightworks.

I have to sleep now ...
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by schrauber.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top