• Page:

TOPIC: Best way to mask hand

Best way to mask hand 1 month, 2 weeks ago #206751

• oODeanOo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I'm trying to superimpose screens on to a laptop in use, at some points the user's finger obscure the screen so superimposing means the fingers disappear behind the image (see attached)

So what I'm looking for are the correct effects to use in Lightworks to try and mask the superimposed image so it looks like it's on the screen.

Dean
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1

Re: Best way to mask hand 1 month, 2 weeks ago #206752

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Unfortunately, Lightworks has no build-in tools to mask complex shapes - frequently requested, not yet implemented.

You have to use third party software to create the masks, e.g. Boris FX, or you can try your luck with one of khaver's Polymask user effects which, I think, should work in this case.

fx-planet.ovh/effects/98/
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Best way to mask hand 1 month, 2 weeks ago #206755

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Pre-shoot planning would have led you to use a green screen (or other color) on the computer screen. This would have easily allowed the masking of objects occluding the screen.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Best way to mask hand 1 month, 2 weeks ago #206757

• oODeanOo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Yes it certainly would of and to be fair as very minimal shooting was done could probably do it again with a blue screen, after all, it is Windows!

I'm trying to make a boring old subject interesting (password reuse across systems) - so will be using your Old Film Effect and Polymasks which should cover it up enough!

Dean
Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by oODeanOo.

Re: Best way to mask hand 1 month, 2 weeks ago #206759

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Just one idea: If the color of the finger is clearly and constantly different from the original colors on the screen (screen color in the area of the finger), then perhaps a roughly masked chroma key could simplify editing?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Best way to mask hand 1 month, 2 weeks ago #206770

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
That can be made to work, but if the screen penetration by the hand is no worse than the example shows, I'd use a slightly feathered Polymask. Shading at the edges of the hand can cause key breakup, and any colours on the original screen image that are close to flesh tones will also break through the key.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top