Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to backup a preset/saved template separately?

How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 5 days, 10 hours ago #206020

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 days, 10 hours ago
I just fine-tuned a UW color correction preset for Protune that I am confident I will want to use for the next few years and save a lot of time and effort going forward. How do I backup only the saved template for color correction or preset independently of the LWKS installation? Is there an xml file or something to copy?

Thanks
G
Last Edit: 5 days, 10 hours ago by G0bble.

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 5 days, 8 hours ago #206023

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 8 hours ago
Yes, you can save effect templates separately.

They are stored as '.fxt' files in the user folder 'Lightworks/Effect Templates' (e.g. on Linunx in ~/Lightworks/Effect Templates). Fxt is a proprietary, not human readable format. The file names are machine generated, due to the internal identifyer management. You can reveal the template either by modification date in the file manager or from the list stored in the file 'Templates.Cache'.

To test if you found the right one, you can rename the folder 'Effect Templates' , create a new one with just that template, start Lightworks and check the VFX '+' panel. If the template is created from a user effect, you need the related effect to be present as well.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 days, 8 hours ago by hugly.

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 16 hours ago #206056

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 days, 16 hours ago
Hi,
There is no fxt file in that folder with modification date older than the install date. Everything is from 2018 ...

What next?

G

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 16 hours ago #206057

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 16 hours ago
What path exactly are you looking into?

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 16 hours ago #206058

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 days, 16 hours ago
C:\Program Files\Lightworks\Effect Templates

as you recommended ...

G

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 16 hours ago #206060

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 16 hours ago
.. not exactly, I meant (and wrote) "user folder". On Windows, have a look into
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates

Instead of using the modification date, you can open Templates.Cache with a plain text editor and search for the name of your template in the list.

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 16 hours ago #206061

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 days, 16 hours ago
Hmm there is no templates.cache file ...

G

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 15 hours ago #206063

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 15 hours ago
Strange. Even if you delete the file "Templates.Cache" it will be rebuild on every restart of Lightworks. Have a closer look..
Last Edit: 4 days, 15 hours ago by hugly.

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 15 hours ago #206067

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 days, 15 hours ago
Not there ... I just deleted half a dozen saved templates/effects - nothing changed in the folder ... no files vanished.

G

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 14 hours ago #206069

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 14 hours ago
Probably you're still looking in the wrong directory and folder.

G0bble wrote:
C:\Program Files\Lightworks\Effect Templates

A misunderstanding.
The first part of the path to the folder is completely wrong. Please do not make any changes to effects in the installation folder.
For user effects and other settings, Lightworks creates special folders with identical names in a different path:
hugly wrote:
.. On Windows, have a look into
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates

To find the correct fxt file, lightworks can update the modification date. In the Lightworks "+" - Effects menu, right-click your effect template.
Select Change Details.
For example, change the text of the effect description below.
Now the fxt file should have the current date and time.
You can copy the file and, for example, save it to another computer where you installed Lightworks. When you first install Lightworks on a new computer, it might be easier to copy the entire contents of the folder, or even the parent folder.

Note that you don't have to do this on the same computer with the same operating system. When you install a new version of Lightworks, the contents of this user effects folder are usually preserved.

A backup copy of the entire folder (or the parent user Lightworks folder) is always a good idea.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 14 hours ago #206070

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 14 hours ago
G0bble wrote:
I just deleted half a dozen saved templates/effects - nothing changed in the folder

If you did this in the installation folder??? , you probably damaged your installation !

Are standard Lightworks effects missing now?
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 4 days, 14 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 14 hours ago #206071

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 14 hours ago
What path did you delete something from?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 14 hours ago #206073

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 14 hours ago
Also note that there was only talk of renaming, not of deleting. Don't delete any user effects you still need in any folder. Lightworks can only restore the "Templates.Cache", but not the other files.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 14 hours ago #206076

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 14 hours ago
I wouldn't have thought that a clear answer to a simple question can lead us into such chaos.

Schrauber, I guess it's time to renew your feature request about exporting effect templates.

Re: How to backup a preset/saved template separately? 4 days, 13 hours ago #206080

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 days, 13 hours ago
Chill Guys,
I deleted the effects from the LWKS GUI not delete files from the system folder
I wanted to observe if any files vanished form the system folder if I delete effects from the UI...

But thanks for the Alarm! I will be careful ...

I missed the "~/LWKS" in Hugly's post - my bad.

Resolv and many other editors lets you save your Color Correction/Grading as a LUT. Besides saving effects templates, it would be nice to save my effects as a 3dl or cube LUT file and import it into my projects.

I am at office now. Will check the user folder tomorrow morning.

Cheers
G
Last Edit: 4 days, 13 hours ago by G0bble.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top