• Page:

TOPIC: [SOLVED] User Effects - Transitions

[SOLVED] User Effects - Transitions 6 days, 12 hours ago #205987

• hixpix
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 days, 12 hours ago
Hi,

JWRL posted this 2 years 10 months ago. I tried to find the Transitions but received an error: An invalid post ID was requested.

My Dissolve through Colour effect will do this for you. You'll find it in the TRANSITIONS section of the User Effects grouped by category forum. Install it and experiment a little. To apply it in the middle of a shot, park on the clip where you want the effect and press "c". That will create a cut in the clip. Then apply the transition at that point and keyframe it to give the effect that you need.

I'd be obliged if someone could direct me to the link to access these as I could really use the 'explosion' effect.

Many thanks!
Regards,

David

i7-7700T 2.90GHz, 8GB RAM Windows 10 64-Bit, LWKS Pro v12.6, Boris FX v10.0 64-Bit, Boris Graffiti v6.0 64-Bit.
Last Edit: 6 days, 2 hours ago by hixpix.

Re: User Effects - Transitions 6 days, 3 hours ago #205997

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 3 hours ago
The complete library has been rebuilt since then. You will find what you're looking for in Custom and User Effects. The section that the explosion effect is in is the Special Effects Transitions. I assume that you're looking for the Fireball transition if you want an explosion transition.

By the way, I have created a dummy thread at that original address to link users to the correct place. Thanks for the heads up.
Last Edit: 6 days, 2 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects - Transitions 6 days, 2 hours ago #205999

• hixpix
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 days, 2 hours ago
Hi Jwrl,

Thank you for the response and for introducing me to this Aladdin’s cave of amazing FX. I have used Lightworks for many years now, but went down the Boris route for FX, which can be a little cumbersome at times especially as tutorials are a bit thin on the ground. Somehow I missed this huge array right under my nose. I did in fact want to use the Fireball Effect but note that it will not compile under v12.6. However I’m very grateful of the resulting post. If you are aware of an explosion effect that runs under v14.0 and EARLIER versions I’d be equally grateful.

Many thanks!
Regards,

David

i7-7700T 2.90GHz, 8GB RAM Windows 10 64-Bit, LWKS Pro v12.6, Boris FX v10.0 64-Bit, Boris Graffiti v6.0 64-Bit.

Re: User Effects - Transitions 6 days, 2 hours ago #206001

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 2 hours ago
Unfortunately that effect relies on a Lightworks functionality that isn't available in earlier versions. I'm not aware of anything that does the same thing on earlier versions either.

I'll dig out the code later today my time and see if anything can be done.

Re: User Effects - Transitions 6 days, 2 hours ago #206002

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 2 hours ago
Actually, I've just had a look. There is a section of code in that effect that looks like this.

#ifndef _LENGTH   // Only available in version 14.5 and up
Bad_LW_version    // Forces a compiler error if the Lightworks version is bad.
#endif

#ifdef WINDOWS
#define PROFILE ps_3_0
#endif

#define MINIMUM 0.00001
#define TWO_PI  6.2831853072

float _Progress;
float _Length;

float _OutputAspectRatio;

So if you want to take the risk, open the effect in a text editor (Notepad or similar and definitely NOT a word processor) and change that block of code to this.

#define _Length 1.0

#define PROFILE ps_3_0

#define MINIMUM 0.00001

float _Progress;

Save that version and install it into Lightworks. I make no guarantees, but it should work. It will be more dependent on the transition duration for its effect so it may not be as impressive, and the flicker rate will also be affected by the transition duration.

And for any non-windows users reading this, the version for you to get it running on a version of Lightworks earlier than 14.5 is this.

#define _Length 1.0

#define MINIMUM 0.00001

float _Progress;

The changes shouldn't cause problems, but you do this at your own risk.
Last Edit: 6 days ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects - Transitions 2 days, 13 hours ago #206169

• hixpix
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 days, 13 hours ago
Hi,

Thought I had replied and thanked you for the response on the day you posted, via my phone, but on reading today I could not see my response.

I'll probably install the free version of v12.6 on another machine and try the patch then if all's well export to my Pro Machine. I am away in France all next week, but upon my return will attempt the work around and post the result.

Once again sorry for tardy reply and many thanks for the your effort involved in attempting to find a solution for me.
Regards,

David

Re: User Effects - Transitions 2 days, 13 hours ago #206170

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 13 hours ago
You may not be able to install the free version of V12.6, since the free version only works with the latest version of Lightworks (V14.5).

Re: User Effects - Transitions 2 days, 4 hours ago #206180

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 4 hours ago
I tested the modified version for Windows on version 14.0, which doesn't provide the _Length variable. It works as expected and will work for you, as long as you make the alterations exactly as shown. I can't recall any changes between 12.6 and 14.0 that would affect it in any way.
Last Edit: 2 days, 4 hours ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top