Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box)

Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box) 4 weeks, 1 day ago #205131

• Bobsterz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
I've been searching for a long time in Google, Youtube and this forum with no luck, so I'm posting this really basic question. Just wanted you to know I hunt before posting.

It's easy to fade text in and out. But do I understand correctly that the only way to fade the box (for the provided 2Tone Center Box effect) with the text is to separately work with keyframes?

I don't see an opacity option as I look a the effect settings for the box. Just color and position changes. Posted instructions that I found say there is an opacity option.

It seems odd to have an effect packaged into the program that can't be faded as a whole, so I'm wondering if I missed anything.

Thanks for any ideas (or just confirmation that the answer is keyframes).
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Bobsterz.

Re: Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box) 4 weeks, 1 day ago #205132

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
There are several ways to do this, but the simplest is to use a dissolve. It requires some simple setup but once you master it you'll wonder why you didn't think of it before.

Normally you will mark the region that you want to place your title. That will automatically give you an unfolded title, i.e., the title will appear on an FX track above the video. This way you don't do that. Park where you want the title to end and press the c key, then repeat that step at the start. Add your effect, first ensuring you have "Allow folded effects" checked. This will place cuts at the point at which you want to start and end your title.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The above shows the menu in the flexible user interface, which you find by clicking on the cogs menu. In the fixed version which is doubtless what you're using, right click on an empty area of the left hand VFX window. When you have done that and applied your effect, what you should see is a collection of small square icons in your timeline where your effect begins.

If you want the title to fade in, park at the start of the title and add a dissolve.

Fairly obviously to fade the effect out you repeat the process at the end of the effect.

If you have multiple clips in the region that you need to cover it's slightly more complex. Instead of cutting your timeline mark one end of the region that you want the title on and park at the other. Add your effect. You will get something like this.

Note that this will happen whether you have effects set to folded or unfolded. Park where you want the fade out to start and jump to the end of the effect with the s key, like this.

Add a dissolve using the "Marked section" choice. The result will look like this.

So there you go. Two ways to do it, both of which are reasonably simple, and both of which are reliable.
Last Edit: 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box) 4 weeks ago #205134

• Bobsterz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Thanks for these detailed instructions. I'm doing a number of short clips, so on the next one, I'll start from scratch following your instructions.

A couple questions about this: Your instructions (from the images) give the impression that the clip would be affected by the dissolve and not just the effects. Also, the color correction would be affected. Does this mean I should create a separate FX track for the text/text box effect and then apply the dissolve to that?

Also, you gave a first step to "The above shows the menu in the flexible user interface, which you find by clicking on the cogs menu." I am in the flexible interface and I don't see anything like this in any of the cog menus (which includes "Allow folded effects"). Can you offer any guidance in finding it? It has seemed all along that all I have needed to do is select fold or unfold.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box) 4 weeks ago #205155

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Bobsterz wrote:
... I am in the flexible interface and I don't see anything like this in any of the cog menus (which includes "Allow folded effects"). Can you offer any guidance in finding it?

This video shows it in flexible layout:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box) 4 weeks ago #205157

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
The tricky thing is, on the effects panel, the tab ' + ' has to be active in order to see the menu entry 'Allow folded effects'. Then, a left-click on the cogs icon or a right-click almost everywhere on the panel, opens the desired menu. In Fixed layout the cogs icon on the effects panel doesn't exist, the right-click almost everywhere on the panel works, of course.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Text has fade in and out, but not the box (2Tone Center Box) 4 weeks ago #205173

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks ago
Bobsterz wrote:
Your instructions (from the images) give the impression that the clip would be affected by the dissolve and not just the effects. Also, the color correction would be affected.

No, the clip won't be affected. The dissolve operates between the clip with a title and the clip without a title. Visually, it will just fade the title in or out. The colour correction will also be unaffected for the same reason.

Bobsterz wrote:
Does this mean I should create a separate FX track for the text/text box effect and then apply the dissolve to that?

The second example shows exactly that, and that will work too. It's just another way of doing the same thing.

Bobsterz wrote:
It has seemed all along that all I have needed to do is select fold or unfold.

If I gave that impression I apologise. You also need to follow either of the processes that I outlined above. Don't just look at the images, read the text that those images illustrate.
Last Edit: 4 weeks ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds
Scroll To Top