Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm tracing my folded effects with no success.

I'm tracing my folded effects with no success. 3 weeks, 6 days ago #200249

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
With V14.5, I made a print of a section containing clips with some folded effects and inline dissolves, nothing special, just a few images with DVE and colour correction. The print appears to keep all effects correctly, even after inserting into the target. After making a trace of this, all (folded) effects are gone, including the dissolves.

Is there any good reason why making a traced sequence of a print vanishes all folded effects and dissolves or, do I miss a switch to preserve them?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: I'm tracing my folded effects with no success. 3 weeks, 6 days ago #200259

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
It’s my understanding a “trace” is for making a sequence of the source clips before any modifications. “Tracing” back to the original. Is this correct?
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: I'm tracing my folded effects with no success. 3 weeks, 6 days ago #200272

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
I think you are right. In the manual from 2012 I found something about tracing subclips back to their original clips.

It's obviously also a good way to remove effects all at once prior to exporting to some interchange format which doesn't support proprietary effects. However, AAF and XML should support simple inline transitions properly, so removing the dissolves is counterproductive regarding this purpose.

Preserving effects in a trace of a print can make sense for applying speed changes to a sequence of segments, e.g. to fine tune parts of a slideshow for duration with effects already in place, but maybe this can be done in the future by selecting segments with the mouse and applying a proportional speed change to all selected segments all at once?

For now a switch to preserve folded effects and dissolves would be not bad, not bad.

Re: I'm tracing my folded effects with no success. 1 week, 1 day ago #201380

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Since I've promised to stop reporting issues with current V14.5, during V14.6 beta phase, treat this as feature request, based on the behaviour of V14.5.

Assuming that a trace of a print is supposed to be one step of preparing export to compliant AAF for some third party software, please don't remove inline transitions or, if removing them is unavoidable for whatever reason, please restore the material on both sides to close the gap, instead of replacing the transition with some kind of obscure black material which shows media offline.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: I'm tracing my folded effects with no success. 6 days, 17 hours ago #201481

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 17 hours ago
A report from 14.6 Beta though one does not expect 14.5 to be different.

Yes, a trace is principally for generating interchange files. In the case of in-line effects it is a bit difficult to show two clips at once on a single V track - so LW shows a section of black. However exporting and then re-importing an interchange file - in this simple test it was an .edl - the original dissolves are correctly restored.

The suggestion that original media should instead be added to the traced output according to some random rule does not make much sense - it is not representative of the edit being traced.

Of course different interchange formats have different capabilities; an .edl would be limited relative to AAF or XML interchanges
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: I'm tracing my folded effects with no success. 6 days, 14 hours ago #201484

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 14 hours ago
I found that setting up an EDL to create valid results is over my head.

Nevertheless, a trace of a sequence leaves all bits and pieces where they are. A trace of a print doesn't. The print itself can break effects routing. That's not new, but still limits the use cases of prints in general. A trace of a print removes all folded effects and replaces the inline dissolve with whatever kind of emptiness it is - it's neither empty timeline nor video black. Regarding the fact that XML and AAF specs support inline dissolves, that doesn't make much sense.

Edit: Remarkable is that audio cross-fades are preserved.
Last Edit: 6 days, 13 hours ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top