Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive

Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196898

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
(Moderator - Not sure this needs a new topic, feel free to put it in the right place).

Khaver's polymasks are wonderful.

I usually tweak them using Settings.sliders/numbers, but there are times when it would be nice to adjust the vertices using the little brown boxes in the preview window. I find the 'Move' box easy to use - hover on or near it, the cursor changes to crossed arrows - left-click & drag. However, I am struggling to locate the area on the screen where I get the crossed arrows cursor to move the vertex boxes. Sometimes I get one - usually well away from the box - sometimes I just can't find one at all.

Any thoughts?

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196902

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
When dragging corner points with the handles to adjust, there are limitations caused by the current effects engine, as far as I can understand. Here's a recent discussion about a similar question: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=188603&limit=15&limitstart=315&Itemid=81#195645

As long as you don't touch Move X/Y and Zoom, the handles will stay on the related points. You shouldn't must not drag handles out of the viewer, since they will disappear. Zoom can be used in this case, temporarily, to bring them back in the visible area in order to readjust. (Edit: That wasn't correct! If handles are outside the view, you can bring them back from the panel left hand side, or with undo, but the latter will discard all already made adjustments on the Polymask).

If you need handles controlled outside the visible area, e.g. to create a masked wipe, you can use zoom, but then, the handles will be away from the corner-points.

Hope that makes sense.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196903

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Try leaving Zoom and Move initially in the default settings, and adjusting each point separately. If your object is moving, you can use Move to follow the object. Fine adjustments of individual points are then unfortunately a little more difficult.

Quotes from another thread:

hugly wrote:
I'm trying to apply khaver's PolyMask16.fx with some keyframes and found that when using Zoom or Move.X/Y the nodes to drag the corner points don't move on the viewer. The points are away from the nodes if Zoom or Move is used. That makes it difficult to adjust the mask if using Zoom or Move.

Is there a way (a mode switch maybe) to avoid this?

khaver wrote:
I don’t think it’s possible because there’s no way to programmatically move the sliders or the on-screen points.

Maybe a feature request for v15?

hugly wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.

I truly appreciate your effort and time developing those effects. However, I hope that we will have some powerful masking tool with adjustable regular shapes, mask painting and freely definable curves with spline interpolation, keyframeable, and a simple motion tracker on top, in some future release, like others have.

OFX might be the key, but what happens to the existing effects engine and the user effects then? Maintaining two layouts with a few people is hard enough.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196905

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Quote from the other thread:

hugly wrote:
.. Is there a way (a mode switch maybe) to avoid this?

An idea would be (currently not possible in these Polymask effects) ...

Setting mode:
Zoom and Move sliders only change video in this mode, which adjusts the object to the nonzoomed and unshifted mask.

Normal mode:
Normal video, but the previously selected settings will now apply inverted to the mask.

However, I fear that this could lead to even more confusion.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196906

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Alas, my vertex handles are un-grabbable from the start, before I adjust anything.

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196908

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Strangely, do you have the setting tab active?
Are your vertex handles within the frame dimensions?

Can you please post a screenshot of your current effects settings?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196909

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Here it is.
The screenshot doesn't seem to have my cursor in it - which was just next to one of the Poly boxes, just a cursor.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196910

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
If my "letterbox" settings (project settings) are different than 0, then I see something similar.
Is that the case with you, or other unusual project settings?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196911

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Bingo!

I had letterbox set to 180 top 180 bottom. If I take these back to 0, the vertex grab-handle boxes all work.

Many thanks.

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196912

• Doofer
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
It does make me rethink my workflow for a final output that is letterboxed.

What would be perhaps more useful would be a 'normal' preview window with adjustable letterbox lines, so I can see all my material including anything that is just outside the intended final letterbox.

This might also avoid the 'letterbox flickering with titles' problem we discussed recently. However, I haven't found a function in Lwks to give me frame lines, which are usually visible only as lines, then a tickbox to enable them as per Project.Video.Letterbox.

This is a different thread, mind!

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196913

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Maybe you found a bug in the letterbox?
As a free user, I have no experience with it because I can only export in 16/9 aspect ratio.

I use effects for cropping.
You may also find appropriate effects for your purpose.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Polymask 'grab handle' boxes elusive 3 months, 3 weeks ago #196931

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Yes, that's just another bug with the Letterbox.

The letterbox (e.g. 180,180 with 1080p preview settings) causes some handles to be located away from the symbols related to the handles. In other words, with a letterbox present you have to guess the position of some handles in the "dark". What helps, the crossed double arrow shows up, as soon as the mouse hovers over such an invisible handle.

That isn't Pro only. You should be be able to reproduce this with the free version, schrauber.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top