• Page:

TOPIC: User audio effects?

User audio effects? 1 year, 6 months ago #194809

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
Hi there,

I just dived into the collection of user FX and there really are some reasons to jump for joy. Some very well-done FX and problem solvers!

Now I skimmed through all of this manual and I ask myself: if I can load audio effects from .FX files in the UI, couldn't I also implement some? (Or adapt some open-sourced ones?)... is there any information on the audio side of .FX?

Best
Schwob
kxStudio/Ubuntu Linux user, audio guy doing live mixdown and recording, long-time Ardour user. Now getting into video with LWKS.

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 6 months ago #194810

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
Hi.

Audio effects are planned for future versions of Lightworks (it was announced some days ago). Unfortunatrly no one knows when they will be introduced.

Regards,
M.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 6 months ago #194819

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
The audio effects subsystem may or may not allow user effects to be developed when the new effects engine is released. In fact given the planned changes to support OFX the existing custom effects may become redundant.

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 6 months ago #194826

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
@video
imho the current video FX system should/will stay intact, just ofx will be added.

@audio
... <"VST 3.6.7 came out in March, 2017. It includes a preview version of VST3 for Linux platform, the VST3 part of the SDK gets a dual license: "Proprietary Steinberg VST3" or the "Open-source GPLv3">.

VST en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology
LV2 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LV2
s.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by lghtwrks.

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 5 months ago #195664

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
The tricky part with audio FX probably will be latency compensation. Unlike for images, very many audio plugins need to look at more than one sample at a time. Hence they need to buffer samples, creating latency. Basically everything else then must be delayed to match the audio channel with the highest latency due to plugins. (This, btw., is a good reason to allow audio plugins only per track.)

However, it shouldn't really matter if you implement some standard interface such als VST, LV2 or AU (the name the 3 most common), or to have your own, integrated audio FX. As soon as you want to use a compressor, you are likely to hit the latency compensation problem.
kxStudio/Ubuntu Linux user, audio guy doing live mixdown and recording, long-time Ardour user. Now getting into video with LWKS.

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 5 months ago #195670

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
From my point of view, true real time audio processing, with or without SFX, will only be possible with dedicated audio hardware and direct and exclusive access to the drivers. The paradigm to access the default sound device (which is easy to implement cross platform) will have an end or, the trouble with unpredictable audio latency will get worse as soon as additional sound FX will be implemented. Open plugin interfaces with random access to available plugins doesn't make things easier.

I vote fora small and well tested set of SFX and VFX effects to start with. To open the new interfaces for all, will lead to chaos.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top