Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect

Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 12 months ago #192250

• rolcher
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 12 months ago
Hello,

I know about the option to use Boris FX within LWKS (I saw tutorial from EditShare on Youtube).

Recently I have read on the LWKS website, that it is possible to use optical stabilizer to improve gopro footage, however, when I try to apply this effect in LWKS, I cant find it (in the plugins category, where all other Boris effect are).

Does anyone have experience with this? Or does anyone know how to use it? I tried to use different boris effect, just to get in Boris interface and then to apply the BCC Optical Stabilizer, but that went poorly.

Thanks for any advice.

R.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 12 months ago #192259

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 12 months ago
In Boris Fx you should find it in Filters > Motion > Motion Stabilizer from memory. I don't have access to my Lightworks system which has Boris Fx installed at the moment, but I'm reasonably confident that's where it is.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 12 months ago #192288

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 12 months ago
rolcher wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this? Or does anyone know how to use it? I tried to use different boris effect, just to get in Boris interface and then to apply the BCC Optical Stabilizer, but that went poorly.

You don't need a second effect. In Lightworks VFX mode, from "Components" apply "Boris FX 10.6 Filter" to the clip/segment and launch Boris. In Boris, from "Filters.Time" select "BCC Optical Stabilizer", from "Controls" panel click on "Click to analyze" and wait for the process to finish. Return to Lightworks with "Apply".

I've made a short demo how to apply BCC Optical Stabilizer which shows how it works and looks with defaults applied to extremely shaky footage.

For more details about available settings of the effect, see Boris Help:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 10 months ago #194139

• rolcher
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
Hello,

Thank you Hugly for the video tutorial, it is great.

Unfortunately, the result (my result) is not what I hoped for.

I applied the effect for the whole clip and it showed only black video. So I tried to apply it to shorter clip, just part of it and it worked, but it was cropped a lot.

So when the surrounding is changing quickly - forest (dark), meadow (light), it doesnt work.

I guess that this effect isnt suited for gopro action clips. Only for static video.

Thanks anyway

R.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 10 months ago #194141

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
With very shaky footage you may wish trying Deshaker 3.1 with VirtualDub2. Here you'll find a description: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=192847&Itemid=81#192884

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206708

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
hugly wrote:

I've made a short demo how to apply BCC Optical Stabilizer which shows how it works and looks with defaults applied to extremely shaky footage.

Good stuff ! but I dont want to pay for Boris FX. Any plans for an in-house stablizer like in Resolve?

G
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by G0bble.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206711

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I think, one major benefit of Lightworks compared with Resolve is, all build-in effects are real time. Resolve has a history as excellent color grading software, but now they're trying to become a bit of everything, including a NLE, whereas Lightworks has ever been a NLE with some add-ons. Trying to build a second Resolve at reasonable costs and time will fail, from my point of view. If I need Resolve, I use Resolve. I hold a Studio license, which isn't that expensive, by the way.

Personally, I don't think that features like noise reduction or image stabilization should be implemented in Lightworks, because they are slow by nature , but I gather that with V15 plans exist to add some kind of OFX support which might open the door for a bunch of additional effects and processing.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206724

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Currently I am having to roundtrip videos via three editors. The first is GoPro Studio because less than 40% of my footage is usable and I can choose the tiny subclips that need to be transcoded to AVI rather than consuming cpu cycles and time to transcode everything then discard it anyways.

Next I import it into Resolve to use the stabilizer exclusively. I dont prefer using resolve for the simple reason it is a lumbering elephant on anything less than $3000 h/w. But it has a great UI and the stabilization results have turned out well to my liking. Next I export the stabilized footage out to avi/high again to import it into LWKS where I have finalized the color correction effects for my protune footage. I intend to do the title/into stuff here as well.

I disagree that LWKS should not have a stabilizer - shaky action footage is quiet common and even professional users like TV studios with journalist footage from the field can benefit and save time with this feature. The stabilizer on Resolve is quiet fast and I am certain the LWKS team can match it in speed and performance if attempted. It may be just a matter of adding a one more FX via UI to existing ffmpeg commands (or making programmatic calls) in the background with some parameters for smoothness and crop levels easily selected from the UI.

cheers
G

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206725

• empee
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I use the following script to get quite good stabilization (YMMV):
file=$1
shakiness=$2
test -z "$shakiness" && shakiness=5
ffmpeg -i "$file" -y -vf vidstabdetect=shakiness=$shakiness:accuracy=15:result="$file.trf":show=1 -y "$file-tmp.mov"
ffmpeg -i "$file" -y -vf vidstabtransform=crop=keep:input="$file.trf" -vcodec prores -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s16le "$file-stab.mov"
rm $file-tmp.mov $file.trf 

You can adapt it to your needs. (shakiness from 1-9)
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by empee.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206729

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206736

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
G0bble wrote:
Currently I am having to roundtrip videos via three editors. The first is GoPro Studio because less than 40% of my footage is usable and I can choose the tiny subclips that need to be transcoded to AVI rather than consuming cpu cycles and time to transcode everything then discard it anyways.

To bypass GoPro Studio, with the Pro version you could import the original material into Lightworks create subclips based on range cue markers, export to AVI all at once and import the transcoded subclips for editing.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206737

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
empee wrote:
I use the following script to get quite good stabilization (YMMV):
file=$1
shakiness=$2
test -z "$shakiness" && shakiness=5
ffmpeg -i "$file" -y -vf vidstabdetect=shakiness=$shakiness:accuracy=15:result="$file.trf":show=1 -y "$file-tmp.mov"
ffmpeg -i "$file" -y -vf vidstabtransform=crop=keep:input="$file.trf" -vcodec prores -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s16le "$file-stab.mov"
rm $file-tmp.mov $file.trf 

You can adapt it to your needs. (shakiness from 1-9)

Looks good, need to check if WSL can run this tomorrow and compare with Resolve stabilization.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206739

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
hugly wrote:
G0bble wrote:

To bypass GoPro Studio, with the Pro version you could import the original material into Lightworks create subclips based on range cue markers, export to AVI all at once and import the transcoded subclips for editing.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that tomorrow! So combined with user empees script, I could possibly stabilize before importing. Is there a single click option selection to export all clips as individual clips and not the combined timeline? I guess I will just do it one by one as I evaluate the clips for inclusion ...

Cheers
G

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206741

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
You can export any selection of objects in filters and bins all at once. Select the objects using click, Ctrl+click and Shift+click. Then, select 'Export' and the format, e.g. AVI.Cineform.High, and export. The jobs are queued and automatically executed.

Re: Lightworks and Boris FX - optical stabilization effect 1 year, 3 months ago #206745

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
G0bble wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I will try that tomorrow!

I suggested using range-cue-markers to split clips into subclips and feel the need to add one detail:

With V14.5, to split a clip into one smaller subclip, use two cue-markers, do not use one range-cue-marker! To split a clip into two or more subclips, use range-cue-markers. Theoretically, you can combine cue-markers and range-cue-markers in one timeline, you can even overlap the ranges, but I strongly recommend not using those options, i.e. if you have already set two cue-markers and decide to split the clip into two pieces afterwards, delete the existing cue markers and set two range-cue-markers.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top