TOPIC: Isolating and tracking moving object

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216591

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Callanj wrote:
would i copy the clip from lightworks or just the clip from my computer
(step 6)

The 'List Sources' simple text panel shows the full path to the file LW is reading. Simply copy paste that into your assistant application's import field. One can save the text file if necessary.

See here
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=192128&Itemid=81#216429

List Sources also advises the in and out frames - set those in whatever assistant application you are using. (Be aware - historically for Fusion the first frame in a clip is '0' for LW and others it is '1' - adjust for that)

The assistant application feature isn't even documented in the current V14.5 user guide, but apparently it sill exists, don't know what that means.

It means exactly that - the feature has existed since the time of LW touch and it remains, with a few minor changes, as it was then. From memory - it was last in a user manual for Touch. There has been talk of an advanced manual for current EditShare LW versions - probably still a work in progress.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216593

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
I have used Blender a fair bit in the past, but with recent updates some things may have changed. However I cannot think of any way that you could pass in and out points of external video into it. You would need to be able to render out the section that you need to work on to do that. That means that unless you have a pro licence you will be limited in the resolution and quality that you can export to Blender.

It should be possible with a suitable Python script to incorporate video as a background source into a Blender project on start up. It should also be possible to create a new .blend file for that project. Harder to achieve could be setting up the Blender project's frame size and rate, but once you've done that you should be able to set up the duration. Blender works exclusively in frames and not timecode, so you would also need to take care of any drop frame issues yourself.

However Blender has quite an active community. Perhaps you should search there for help in setting up and initialising such a project in Blender.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216594

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Thinking some more about it, the simplest way to achieve what you want is to export the section that you want to track at the best resolution that you can. Lightworks can be set up to display frames rather than timecode, so make a note of the duration in frames and set up Blender to create a project of the same size as your Lightworks project and of the same duration as your exported video.

Then track the motion in Blender, animate whatever you need to follow that motion, and export the animation as a PNG sequence with a transparent background. Import that sequence into Lightworks and place it on top of the background video. Apply a blend effect and you're done.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216597

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Is Blender any better than Fusion? Seems like the cost of entry to both is the same.

If for Blender this is true -
However I cannot think of any way that you could pass in and out points of external video into it.

- then is nowhere near as usable as Fusion - really does not seem to have much of a place in an NLE edited workflow.

This is a pretty good basic Fusion tutorial -

BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 5 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216599

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
jwrl wrote:
Thinking some more about it, the simplest way to achieve what you want is to export the section that you want to track at the best resolution that you can. Lightworks can be set up to display frames rather than timecode, so make a note of the duration in frames and set up Blender to create a project of the same size as your Lightworks project and of the same duration as your exported video.

Then track the motion in Blender, animate whatever you need to follow that motion, and export the animation as a PNG sequence with a transparent background. Import that sequence into Lightworks and place it on top of the background video. Apply a blend effect and you're done.

whoah! I didnt realise that! so the png sequence would just be in the export settings in blender?
That sounds like a plan! So if I wanted to animate a fire on top of my hands i would track my hands in blender, add the layer of fire above it, composite the fire to the track on my hands, export the fire element as a PNG sequence, overlay that with the video of my hands in lightworks, apply a blend effect, and boom you have fire hands!?

I could also do some masks and fine tuning in blender but same thing, export the sequence, overlay... you get the point?
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Callanj. Reason: Lol i messed up

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216601

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Thank you jwrl!!!

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216602

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
The whole point of doing it in Blender is to only export the animation and not the background. You do your compositing in Lightworks. To do that you need to have transparency/alpha information in the animation. The only way that is supported in Lightworks is with image sequences.

You can of course export the composite from Blender but you may notice a significant drop in quality.

Callanj wrote:
Thank you jwrl!!!

You're welcome.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216603

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
okay yes when i said composite i meant link the fire to the track

so yeah export the fire element/animation tracked to my hand/object of interest
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Callanj.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216604

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
totally off topic but cool profile pic

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216605

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Thank you. I figured that since Lightworks uses a shark, I'd use a reef fish. Opposite ends of the spectrum - it's just a personal joke. I can't even remember the fish that I modelled it on. I think that it was one of the species of Angelfish on The Great Barrier Reef.

[EDIT] I've tracked it down - it's supposed to be an Empress Angelfish. It sort of looks like it I guess.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216683

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
I missed the blue edge along the spine, and I didn't get the eye right. Oh, well...
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top