Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Isolating and tracking moving object

Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 8 months ago #192128

• rolcher
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Hello fellow video editors,

There is something I would like to do and I wonder whether it can be done in LWKS.

Lets imagine video clip capturing ski slope full of skiers. And friend of mine starts going
down and it is very difficult to follow him. Is it possible to isolate him by drawing circle (or rectangle) around him, which would be around him all the way down?

thanks a lot

R.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 8 months ago #192129

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Sadly, there is currently no tracking feature in Lightworks. Developers have mentioned opening up the effects engine to OFX plugins in a future version, which might open us up to using Mocha as a tracker.

For your current needs, take a look at Blender, Natron or Fusion.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 8 months ago #192131

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
For something as simple as highlighting a skier it should be possible to do it easily using a circle or square wipe and keyframes. Alternatively, some transparent outline artwork and the image key effect (again using keyframes) should solve the problem for you. Even a keyframed vignette might do what you need.

And if you need help with keyframes, check out the effects tutorials that you'll find under the tutorials button at the top of this page.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 8 months ago #192150

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
The attached video is a section of a 40 second tracking task made for a previous forum thread. Imagine the red button being your square - don't know how long the ski rum takes but it is doable with manual entry of animated key-frame positions.

It is important to work methodically with keyframes and equally important is to identify and correct any mistakes as one progresses. Always use the same process to place and remove keyframes - the +/- symbols on the Graphs display for EACH parameter is he best choice. It is also best to navigate to/from keyframes using the left/right arrows on the same panel. Standardise on this and most mistakes like adjacent double-keyframes will be minimised.

A useful strategy is to begin by placing first keyframes at predetermined spacing (in the example first keyframes were at 50 Frame/2 Second intervals - the total length of the demonstration was based on how far one progressed in, as I recall, 15 minutes of first keyframe placement.

Then went on to place midway keyframes between others - keyframes at that stage were at with 1 Second intervals. In the example that was enough for the 'bouncing between heads/feet section to be able to finalise that with small adjustments in already placed keyframes (with the use of left/right arrows to positively park on a keyframe) and adding a few extras intermediate keyframes as required.

All adjustments can be made by mouse-dragging the position on the edit viewer but to avoid mistakes it is vital to be certain one is on an existing keyframe with the Left/right arrows when tweaking a position. Of course if the need is to place a new intermediate keyframe then mouse dragging will automatically place that new keyframe.

The section where the button is being tracked with the dancer's hands obviously needed more keyframes - they were placed using the above method, as I recall to a 10 frame interval before final 'tweaks'.

This is how the final tracking graph looks.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

There are a number of strategies, as suggested by jwrl, for the boxed effect; the ideal may be one capable of being keyframed to adjust in size as required by the footage.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 8 months ago #192169

• rolcher
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Thank you all for your advice. I will try to implement it.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 8 months ago #192196

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Inspired by Swan Lake, I just published one other example I made some time ago with Lightworks keyframes, Laughing Baby Over Helicopter:

Maybe not so delicate and precise, but almost so funny, I think. ***

Tracking a skier with a simple eliptic 2D shape shouldn't be that hard, even without automatic motion tracking. As a user of Lightworks Pro you might have access to Boris FX. It provides a simple motion tracker and tools to create masks. It has a steeper learning curve that Lightworks effects, though.

*** Please note: Currently, Google refuses to show higher resolutions than 360p, maybe their encoders are too busy at the moment, but it should only take a few hours for the sharp stuff to be finished, hopefully.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 1 year, 6 months ago #194138

• rolcher
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
Hello,

thank you all, I have already applied your advice and it works perfectly.

I created renctagle in gimp and then in lightworks using 2D DVE effect I managed to apply it. Then I used keyframes to time it correctly.

Great. Thanks again.

R.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216419

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
just out of interest... is there a plugin that supports motion tracking?
just wondering.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216420

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

There currently is no plug in with the free version.

Boris FX, which is bundled with the Pro license, does offer motion tracking.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216421

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
oh. ok then. Thanks

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216429

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
With a small amount of effort to move files over to it - BMD Fusion can be set-up as an assistant application to LW - it does support motion tracking.

As an Assistant Application, set up via the drop-down menu in the effects selector panel, the user needs to manually point Fusion at the source media - however LW provides the source location and relevant frames information for single or multiple V tracks

In Assistant Application set-up The user also needs to specify the application render destination, then when rendered all that is required of the user is to point LW at the relevant file.

Any application outputting LW readable still or moving image files can be used as an Assistant Application.

Assistant Applications are different to 'Pluig-ins' Fusion cannot be used as a plug-in in LW free but can be an Assistant Application.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If a user has a favourite motion tracking application - just set that up as a LW Assistant Application.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 5 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216500

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
I'm sorry, how do you set up an Assistant Application?

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216501

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
and do you mean Black Magic Design Fusion? And do I have to download it and if so where can I find it?

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216502

• Callanj
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Wait its free i didnt realize that

Re: Isolating and tracking moving object 5 months ago #216503

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Cannot say how to configure Fusion as assistant application, because I run a Pro version of Lightworks which has a dedicated interface to Fusion, but you can run Fusion standalone for the parts of your video which need motion tracking and import the rendered results into Lightworks for editing.

However, Fusion is quite demanding software which needs workstations power to work. It's very powerful with a lot of functions, which means unfortunately that it needs time to get familiar with. The casual user might be overwhelmed.

This video gives an idea what you'll be dealing with:

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top