Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Custom and User Effects feedback

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 1 month, 3 weeks ago #231741

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
If that refers to the Lightworks speed change, that is not a shader effect, which is what the effects in the custom and user effects are. You should post that suggestion in the feature requests forums. We are users and cannot do anything about the edit system itself.
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 1 month ago #232953

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello,

here is a new effect "Zoom in, simple, 2021"

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

that I would like to propose as a replacement for my very old effect "ZoomOutIn.fx". The effect has improved compatibility with the new resolution in the effect chain, and something more:

Features:
- Supports the resolution in the effect chain from LWKS version 2021.

- Three scaling modes:

- "Standard" (similar with the standard LWKS DVD effects)
- Two "zoom center" modes, which also keep edge positions in focus during dynamic zooming.
In this mode, you should fine-tune the position with the maximum zoom used to ensure the best centering when zooming in.

- Two backgrounds can be selected: opaque black and transparency.
In the transparent mode, the frame edge interpolation is only applied to the alpha value in order to avoid double interpolation when other effects replace this transparency.
Therefore, this mode should only be used if you really need transparency.

- "Expand" input
This input, to which nothing needs to be connected, ensures that the full sequence aspect ratio can be used when zooming in.
You can even use it to increase the resolution in the effect pipeline far above the original resolution and above the sequence resolution by connecting pattern texture with higher resolution width to this input (not with the Image effect, because that uses the sequence resolution).
Note that higher resolutions load GPU and V-RAM. This feature is more useful with some minimization effects.

Limitations; Since it is supposed to be a simple effect, similar to the previous effect, there are these restrictions:
- No background input.
- Not recommended for stronger negative scaling because the effect comes without minimizing scaling filter.
Well, actually, this restriction applies to almost all effects, except those where antialiasing is named as a feature. But my quality expectations increase with time and resolution.

Effects that can do more are under development.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.1.1 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 1 month ago #232954

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
If you have a powerful GPU with a lot of GPU memory and want to experiment a bit, in the Attachment is a high-resolution black image that can be connected to the "Expand" input. In order for this input to have full resolution, the image must be placed in a track of Lightworks 2021 (not in the image effect).
The effects in the chain which follow this effect will now work with this resolution (I think the image corresponds to 8K). This will happen even if a much lower resolution is applied to the In input, and even at lower sequence resolutions.
At the end of the effect chain, Lightworks will of course downscale everything back to the sequence resolution or export resolution.

This can still be useful if, for example, several smaller videos are to be combined into a very high-resolution multiscreen intermediate texture in the effect routing. For example, an effect can zoom into this high-resolution intermediate texture, and fly over it like an airplane.

But be careful, keep an eye on GPU memory usage! My GPU and memory is too weak for this resolution.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.1.1 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 21 hours ago #235583

• roboknight
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 21 hours ago
This is in reference to the Polymasks. They seem like they would be extremely useful, however, the "handles" on the vertices of the polygon don't seem to stay anchored to the polygon, at least in Linux. I don't know if there is a huge difference between an effect compiled for Lightworks in Linux and one compiled for another platform. I mention that only because I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning having an issue like that. It seems to make it difficult to adjust the masks after the initial adjustment. This is also affected by simply moving the mask before adjustment. I looked at the code to see if I could spot the issue, but I think it will be a bit before I could fix something like that myself. This isn't the only user effect I've had problems with, but I figured it would be good just to see if I'm doing something terribly wrong first. I'm using LightWorks 2021.1 (126716), so maybe there are issues with some of the user created effects that I've not run across.
Those who can do. Those who can't manage those who can.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 20 hours ago #235589

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 20 hours ago
roboknight wrote:
.. however, the "handles" on the vertices of the polygon don't seem to stay anchored to the polygon ..

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the feedback.

If this only happens when the "Zoom" or "Move" sliders are not in the default settings, then this is a known limitation of Lightworks effects. These sliders affect the shape of the mask, but cannot reposition the points om the preview viewer accordingly. In this case, the workaround is to position the individual points first, and use the "Zoom" or "Move" sliders only if you no longer want to change the adjustment points in the preview window.

If it also happens when the "Zoom" and "Move" sliders are in the default positions, then you could try the following to test if this solves the issue:

- Add the effect "Sequence resolution" in front of it in the routing.

Or alternatively, if you want to edit the code in a suitable editor :
- Remove in probably line 40 the code `bool CanSize = true;` or change it to bool CanSize = false;

Does this fix your problem?

Technical note: The effect "Sequence resolution" or the code change causes Lightworks to change textures with different aspect ratios and resolutions to the sequence format (undistorted, by adding black pixels if necessary) before the effect input.

Does this also fix your issues in the other effects?
What are they?
Last Edit: 3 days, 20 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 15 hours ago #235604

• roboknight
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 15 hours ago
'''If this only happens when the "Zoom" or "Move" sliders are not in the default settings, then this is a known limitation of Lightworks effects.'''

I've probably not used the correct code for a quote above and there aren't any handy "quote" buttons to help me out here, but based on what you said there, that could be an issue all around. If I adjust a mask, then come back to it later and try to adjust it again, the preview of the mask doesn't seem to always "remember" where all the points were exactly. I'll run a couple more tests, both with and without sequence resolution (because that could certainly be an issue I'd imagine) and see what happens. Thanks for the assist.
Last Edit: 3 days, 15 hours ago by roboknight. Reason: grammar

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 14 hours ago #235605

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
roboknight wrote:
.. there aren't any handy "quote" buttons to help me out here, ..

If you position the mouse over "MENU":

The quote button generates a quote of the entire post, which you can shorten manually.

If you click on " REPLY" instead, you will find a "Quote" icon at the top, which encodes highlighted text as a quote (but without automatic source citation):
Last Edit: 3 days, 14 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 14 hours ago #235606

• roboknight
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
Okay, now it wants to make a liar out of me. I can't cause it to happen, so it makes me think it was only because things moved and I didn't get them back quite right or something. Now things seem to be working better than before (doing absolutely nothing). I did have an issue right off when I first used the polymask that in order to adjust the mask I needed to move opposite points, like something was flipped. But re-adding the node seemed to clear it up a bit. Was going to attach a screenshot, but I might not be able to.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 14 hours ago #235607

• roboknight
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
Found out also if hover over the "menu" button it is there as well. Just a different interface than I've used before.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 14 hours ago #235608

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
roboknight wrote:
Was going to attach a screenshot, but I might not be able to.
Try jpg images,
png images only work if they are very small.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 14 hours ago #235610

• roboknight
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
Okay, just being stupid. I saw the attachments box before and somehow was blinded to it later. Anyway, the first looks like this:

The second looks like this:

What WAS happening was after I had edited the mask, at some point later I came back and all the handles were offset toward the upper right. This may be because I'd moved something. Not sure. At any rate, I tried to get that same result and now can't get it (where I couldn't NOT get it before). It was also causing the feathering to screw up significantly (I'd get feathering where it THOUGHT the points were supposed to be, not where I'd put them). But, moving everything first, doing some light feathering, it doesn't seem to NOT work now. Seems like that's the key. Move the points where you want them, then do anything else later.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 14 hours ago #235611

• roboknight
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
I suspect you hit the nail on the head. It probably needs to be moved where you want it FIRST, then things will work out. If you try to move it after you've offset it or scaled the mask, then it stops working properly. That may have even been why things "flipped" the first time I tried to use the mask. Maybe I moved it right away without adjusting the mask points first.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 6 hours ago #235631

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 days, 6 hours ago
I've just picked up on this - schrauber is quite correct.

schrauber wrote:
If this only happens when the "Zoom" or "Move" sliders are not in the default settings, then this is a known limitation of Lightworks effects.

This will happen not just with the Polymasks, but with any effect that can be scaled and/or repositioned. I personally feel that it's a comparatively minor limitation. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like it not to happen.

I don't know if it would even be possible to configure scaling and positioning in the effects engine so that it didn't. At the moment it simply isn't possible to address this issue in a user effect. But with the advent of resolution independence, who knows?

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 4 hours ago #235640

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 4 hours ago
Just some brainstorming :

I think, if it is only about an improved setting help, the following variant would be technically feasible at the moment...

Switchable modes for playback (or export) and effect settings:

1) Effect setting mode (only setting aid, unsuitable for playback or export):
- Move setting does not move the mask, but the whole texture to the mask or fixed points. So in the opposite direction. Now that the object in the texture is back at the mask position, fine adjustments can be made to the points.
After that the user switches back to the playback mode.

2) Playback mode: (as the effect currently works):
The texture is moved back to the default position, and the mask is moved synchronously accordingly.

For Zoom this would work similarly, except that in setting mode the texture is not moved, but scaled inversely to the mask setting.

If in other cases different aspect ratios at the input in relation to the sequence aspect ratio leads to differing adjustment positions (I have not tested this) then as far as I know this could also be solved by keeping `bool CanSize = true;` as the effect has two inputs. Correcting all parameters would probably be too much for this effect, but if a shader pass was placed in front of it, the node-internally rendered texture would be in sequence aspect ratio in any case. The second pass would then only require a correction of the `UV` base texture coordinates according to the scale parameters, and a sampler function optimized for rendered textures.

The biggest wish of most users, however, was probably rounded corners and lines, so that all together would be a major undertaking.
Last Edit: 3 days, 4 hours ago by schrauber.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top