Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Custom and User Effects feedback

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months ago #224200

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
"Delta glow" (DeltaGlow.fx) uses a glow based on the Lightworks glow effect to apply a glow to just the foreground component of a blended image, image key or title. It separates the blended foreground from the background by means of a delta or difference key. That technique allows the glow to be applied outside the edges of the blended foreground while the background remains "un-glowed".

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

While it's similar in operation to "Blended glow" (BlendedGlow.fx), that effect requires some manual adjustment of the routing. You will find the effect here, and installation instructons for any of these effects here.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224905

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
"3D bevelled crop" (3Dbevel.fx) is a crop tool that provides a 3D bevelled border. The lighting of the bevel can be adjusted in intensity, and the lighting angle can be changed. Fill lighting is also included to soften the shaded areas of the bevel. A hard-edged outer border is also included which simply shades the background by an adjustable amount.

X-Y positioning of the border and its contents has been included, and simple scaling has been provided. This is not intended as a comprehensive DVE replacement so no X-Y scale factors nor rotation have been provided.

You will find the effect here, and installation instructions for any of these effects here.
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 1 month ago #225596

• rext69
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
please add a glitch text animation

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 1 month ago #225604

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
What is a glitch text animation? If you could describe the effect it should be possible.

You could try Camera shake or Screen shake. You might also find VHS simulator useful in this context.

To use them with titles you will need to adjust the routing so that the title effect has nothing connected to the input, and a blend effect is applied after the glitch effect, as shown below.

Last Edit: 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225900

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Over the past week I have been going through the source code of all of the effects in the library to check for copyright assignment issues arising from the change of ownership. The changes have resulted in modifications to the header, which does not in any way impact the operation of the effect. However it has resulted in most of the effects having an update to the published version date.

IF YOU ARE USING AN EFFECT AND SEE A LATE SEPTEMBER/EARLY OCTOBER 2020 UPGRADE DATE HERE IT WILL LIKELY BE AN UPGRADE FOR THAT REASON, AND IS UNLIKELY TO AFFECT THE OPERATION OF YOUR EXISTING VERSION.

rext69 wrote:
please add a glitch text animation

OK, I have now had some time to do a little research. This effect is the result.

It's called (predictably enough), Glitch. To use this effect just add it on top of your existing effect, select the colours to affect, then the spread and the amount of edge jitter and jitter coarseness that you need. That really is all that there is to it.

You'll find it here, with installation instructions should you need them, here.
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 weeks, 2 days ago #226115

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
PolyMask effects:

After I added a 3D DVE effect behind a PolyMask effect in the routing, the adjustment behavior of the position parameters using the points in the preview window changed extremely. A minimal change with the mouse, lets the parameters jump far into the negative range. When I disable the 3D DVE effect, the behavior is as expected. See the video for details:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

For me this strange interaction looks like a Lightworks bug, but maybe @khaver, @jwrl, or someone else sees a problem in the PolyMask code?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 weeks, 2 days ago #226146

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
I made the mistake of not looking at your video first, schrauber. As a result I've spent a large part of the previous day trying to recreate the problem and failing. Blush. I tried this.

I tried this.

I even tried this.

However when I tried what you actually did I could actually duplicate it.

I also tried it with a stripped down version of the same effect that I use because I never need zoom, position or aspect ratio adjustment and got exactly the same result.

Given that there is enough difference in the logic between my version and khaver's, I don't believe that the problem lies with the effect. I'm not sure that it could even be described as a bug in the Lightworks effects engine, but is more of a side effect of the way that the pins are displayed on screen.

There really is nothing that I can think of to do in the effect code that would fix it. I would be extremely reluctant to try anyway, given how reliable and useful these effects have been over the years. They were written in 2011, and the only changes that they have had over the years have been for cross platform support, or cosmetic changes dealing with subcategories and the like. There aren't many effects that you can say that about.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 weeks, 1 day ago #226151

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Thanks for the detailed examinations.
I quoted it in a new feature request thread (as "Case 1").
I don't know if it will be relevant with the new FX architecture in future Lightworks versions.
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 weeks, 1 day ago #226184

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
You may have been a little hasty. I have continued my testing and have to revise my earlier opinion about whether this is a bug or not. When using the Lightworks 2D DVE the PolyMask pins track the scaling and position settings exactly as you would expect. Using any of the user DVE effects breaks the pin tracking also, but without the extremely unpredictable movement you have seen with the 3D DVE.

I also tested replacing the PolyMask effects with other crop and vignette effects. I produced exactly the same results with those effects too. In short, the only effect that works in a reliable and consistent way with downstream pins is the 2D DVE. Whether anything can be done to correct the problem is another question. Remember that the 3D DVE has to contend with X, Y and Z rotation as well as adjustable pivot points in addition to the much simpler X-Y geometry adjustments in the 2D DVE.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 weeks, 2 days ago #226587

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
With the the imminent release of version 2021.1 several effects in the library will become redundant. The aspect ratio compensating effects for starters appear to have little real use now, nor do the social media format adjusters. I will be going through the library and moving any such effects into an archive thread.

What does this mean in practice? Not a great deal. They will no longer appear in the main library download nor in the main user effects thread. Nor will they necessarily be maintained. However they will still be available for those that really need them, because there will be links provided.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 weeks, 1 day ago #226640

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
jwrl wrote:
The aspect ratio compensating effects for starters appear to have little real use now,

I think at least the "Format fixer" effect is still needed, e.g. to be able to present vertically recorded videos with smartphones on usual 16/9 TV sets in a visually acceptable way.
This can be seen regularly in many TV programs.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 weeks, 1 day ago #226702

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
I was undecided about that myself. I could also put up an argument for the film masks because they work with preset industry standard aspect ratios rather than just entering numbers. I've added an archive link to the effects index in the first post.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 6 days, 9 hours ago #227421

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 9 hours ago
Schrauber has created a new effect called "Liquify" (Liquify.fx). It mimics the popular liquify effect in art software. While those perform the distortion by means of warp meshes, this effect instead distorts by means of an offset from a frame reference point. This is what it looks like.

The edge of the frame can be mirrored, the area outside the frame can be black, or can be made transparent for use in other blend or DVE effects. When in the two latter modes the edge of frame can also be softened. You will find the effect here, and installation instructions can be found here.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 days, 23 hours ago #227594

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 days, 23 hours ago
There is another new effect called "2D DVE with blend" (2dDVEwithBlend.fx). It's designed specifically for the forthcoming release of Lightworks 2021. It's a 2D DVE that performs as the Lightworks version does, but with one major difference. Instead of the drop shadow being calculated from the cropped frame edges the foreground alpha channel is used to calculate the drop shadow. This means that the drop shadow will only appear where it should and not just at the edge of frame, as it does with the Lightworks 2D DVE. Since that behaviour is unlikely to be changed for backwards compatibility reasons, this DVE is a useful alternative to the Lightworks effect.

The image that leaves the effect has a composite alpha channel built from a combination of the background, foreground and drop shadow. If the background has transparency it will be preserved wherever the foreground and/or drop shadow isn't present. You can download it from this post, and you will find installation instructions if you need them here.
Last Edit: 3 days, 7 hours ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top