Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Custom and User Effects feedback

Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 3 weeks ago #221648

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
jwrl, this is one of those effects you’d think someone would have come up with years ago. Great idea.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 3 weeks ago #221652

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks. It was an idea that I woke up with this morning.

I will probably refine it a little - the blur amount is a little extreme for my taste at the moment. But for what it is, it's OK.

[EDIT] - And I did refine it a little. The difference is subtle, so if you already have it, keep it.
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #221775

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
I have just deleted any reference to "Flexible blend". The link was broken, and while analysing the original source code preparatory to reinstating it I realised that the effect offered very little more functionality than the Lightworks 3D DVE, but didn't do it nearly as well as that effect.

Since I wrote "Flexible blend" I don't think that I will be offending anyone by saying that!

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #222137

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
.. It's called "Visual motion blur" (VisualMotionBlur.fx) and is a directional blur that can be very simply set up by visually dragging a central pin point in the record viewer to adjust the angle and strength of the blur ..

Great!

I think a useful transition effect could be created from this, which simulates a fast camera panning.
Similar to "Blur dissolve", but with position shifting of the two textures.

Brainstorming:
For a transition with "Visual motion blur" as base, the blur tail should be longest in the middle of the transition, and mixed with the blur tail of the second texture, which is oriented in the opposite direction.
..Now I notice that this means that the setting point in the preview window would only apply to the first texture ... maybe OK?

Maybe the optical length of the camera panning could also be adjusted?By this I mean the percentage of the time span of the transition in which only blur lines are visible. Maybe some optional brightness and/or color changes could be added in this extreme blur phase to simulate the fast panning over e.g. dark objects or a dark staircase when the transition mixes textures in different rooms? These synthetic brightness or color variations should also be shifted in the blur angle.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 2 weeks ago #222159

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Funny thing - I was sure that I had about two years ago, based on the earlier version of this effect. I have quite a collection of effects that I have created for various projects that never get posted for one reason or another. I'll see what I can find. I don't think that I ever created alpha or delta versions though.

Actually, thinking about it some more, I believe that I can recall why I didn't post it. To be convincing as a whip pan in that version the duration could be no longer than six frames or shorter than three. Longer than six frames it just became messy, shorter and you might as well not do it. Under those constraints there didn't seem much point.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 1 week ago #222213

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I did do it around two years ago, and didn't post it because I didn't like it. It was also too similar to blur dissolve to be worth posting. I revisited it today, revised the transition mechanism, and have now posted "Whip pan" (WhipPan_Dx.fx). This effect performs a whip pan style transition between two sources. Unlike the blur dissolve effect, this also pans the incoming and outgoing vision sources. It is also designed to create vertical and horizontal whips only.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You will find it here and you can see it in action by clicking on WhipPan.mp4.

There is a second effect called "Crawl and roll fix" (CrawlRollFix.fx) which is a shameless reworking of "Smooth roll". The difference is that this version doesn't use a delta key to separate the roll or crawl from the background. Like the earlier effect it provides a simple means of smoothing the movement of a credit roll or crawl. It does this by applying a small amount of directional blur to the title. It then blends the result with the background video.

To use it, add it after your roll or crawl and disconnect the input to any title effect used. Select whether you're smoothing a roll or crawl then adjust the smoothing to give the best looking result. Since the screen grabs for this effect and for smooth roll are identical I haven't posted one here, but the link to this effect is here.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 1 week ago #222309

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Following on from Whip pan (above), I have created alpha and delta key versions of the effect.

You will find that version here and you can see both in action by clicking on WhipPan_AxAdx.mp4.
Last Edit: 2 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 1 week ago #222475

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Here's another new effect, called "Blended glow" (BlendedGlow.fx). It uses a variant of the Lightworks glow effect to apply a blend to the foreground component (only) of a blended image. Unlike the Lightworks glow effect, it supports transparency by allowing the glow to fall outside the transparent boundaries of the foreground. The background is handled independently of the glow, and remains sharp as a result.

The blend option used to add the glow is a subset of the standard blend modes widely seen in art software. If using this to add glow to a Lightworks title or image effect you will need to disconnect the input to them. This effect will take over the blending. You will find the effect here, and installation instructions are, as usual, here.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months ago #222694

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
"Film lab" (FilmLab.fx) isn't a new effect but a replacement for the older Film Fx, and corrects several bugs in that effect. Note that when Film Fx was written it would have been unlikely to display the bugs, but newer GPUs and revised LW effects internals most certainly cause it to. The most important bug is that the previous effect suffered from range overflow. This could result in highlights becoming grey, and colours suffering arbitrary shifts of both hue and saturation. This effect is a total rewrite, and corrects that. There are also refinements to the way that it handles the processing internally.

Since this is a total rewrite, I opted to change the order of settings. In some cases even the range differs. You will find full details of the changes in the descriptive post including a table that compares the two effects.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months, 4 weeks ago #223049

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
"Truer sepia" (TruerSepia.fx) is another new effect caused by the Covid-19 lockdown. Why Truer sepia? Because there are an awful lot of so-called sepia tone effects that create a rough and ready black and white image then colour that so that the lightest areas of the image are at least as strongly coloured as the darkest, and often even more so. That is not the way that sepia toning works!

This effect is an attempt to get as near as it's possible to get to a true film sepia tone. As the settings increase the effect converts the image progressively, starting with the lightest silver density areas. In other words, the lighter areas change colour first. This matches the way that the silver sulphide that causes the sepia tone develops in actual black and white film stocks. The colour of the sepia effect has also been visually matched with photographic prints as closely as possible.

Four different black and white conversion presets have been supplied. There is the standard video luminance conversion, a modified RGB average, and two that mimic black and white panchromatic and orthochromatic film stocks. You will find the effect here, and instructions for installing it here should you need them.
Last Edit: 2 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months, 4 weeks ago #223113

• Alden Lee
Hi jwrl, I wanna share my video on YouTube using some effect in my vid, the question is can I attach the link of the effect from this forum, so people who like to edit and using lightworks can download the effect too, thanks jwrl!

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months, 4 weeks ago #223122

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
I don't see why not. If they're published here they're pretty much in the public domain.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months, 3 weeks ago #223142

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Multiple toner (MultiToner.fx) aims to produce the effect of a range of chemical processes that can be applied to black and white prints. It emulates sepia (silver sulphide), selenium (2 variants), gold, copper and iron toners.

You will find the effect here and installation instructions here.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223643

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
This is a late notification, but better late than never! Four days ago I posted an alternative version of the rainbow effect. It's called "Rainbow v2" (Rainbow_v2.fx) and differs from the older effect in a couple of ways. It doesn't support moondogs, but instead offers more adjustment of the secondary rainbow. It also allows the background brightness to affect the rainbow levels by an adjustable amount. The screen grab below shows exactly what that can do for the realism of the effect.

Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Custom and User Effects feedback 2 months ago #224111

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
"Binocular Mask" (BinocularMask.fx) creates the classic binocular mask shape. It can be adjusted from a simple circular or telescope-style effect, to separated circular masks. The edge softness can be adjusted, and colour fringing can be applied to the edges as well.

NOTE: I had previously posted an effect called "Binoculars" which I have withdrawn. This one is much better.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top