Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Custom and User Effects feedback

Custom and User Effects feedback 5 months, 2 weeks ago #218403

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
I've just picked up on an effect that for some reason has been around for almost a year but never included in the effects library. It's an effect called "Screen shake" (Screenshake.fx) and it adds an adjustable pseudo-random shake to the video. So that the edges of the frame aren't seen the image is zoomed in slightly. The image below is a screen grab of three random overlaid frames.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You will find the effect here, and installation instructions if you need them here.
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 5 months, 2 weeks ago #218405

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
I've just been revisiting the effects library, and I've removed two effects, as you will have seen above in post #218275. The first is khaver's big blur, because it's now included in the standard Lightworks distribution, and the second is an S curve grading tool that I created some time back which has been largely rendered redundant by a newer, simpler version. Does anyone have any suggestions for effects that they have created that could also be removed?
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 5 months, 1 week ago #218413

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
jwrl wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for effects that they have created that could also be removed?

I think my remote control effects were never used. If a user ever needed something like that, I would probably have to post the relevant effects together with an effect template, so the user wouldn't have to do much customization.
If you want to clean up, my idea would be to move your good overview into the old thread "External keyframing via remote control effects". Maybe as the first post, or just copy it into my first post?

If you also want to clean up the associated GitHub repository:
I've now copied the "Remote control" directory from the lwks-fx-bundle to my own repository, where I put some of my prototypes etc.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Custom and User Effects feedback 5 months, 1 week ago #218458

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Actually, the following statement about the effects architecture has a bearing on this.

Matt Sandford wrote:
Lightworks Pro licenses will no longer include the Boris packages. This is due to the older FX architecture that requires an overhaul. We hope to include OpenFX in a future version allowing for much better partnerships with FX companies.

The bold facing of the text in the above quote is mine. However it's obviously quite possible that shader effects may become a thing of the past with OpenFX support anyway. I think I'll just leave everything as it is for now.
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 5 months, 1 week ago #218460

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I think they should leave the shader FX system in place and just add OpenFX. I’ve started programming OpenFX plugins and they are a thousand times more complicated to code and compile than Lightworks pixel shaders. Resolve has both, why not Lightworks too.

Edit: I think Matt may have been referring to the 32bit Premier/After Effects plug-in system Lightworks uses.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by khaver.

Custom and User Effects feedback 5 months, 1 week ago #218705

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
This seems to have become a weekly occurrence! This week's effect is called "Masked mix" (MaskedMix.fx) and is a variant of Editshare's masked blend that allows the mask to be mixed with the foreground.

There are some major differences. The first is that instead of putting the mask input on the bottom layer it is placed on the top. This just appears to make more sense. The next layer is the fill layer, then the bottom is the background. The next difference is that the blend can be enhanced to better handle title effects. Third, when used with title effects drop shadows will be preserved. This has implications if you choose to use coloured drop shadows, because they will be affected by the fill layer.

Finally, blending treats the foreground/fill mix as a single layer over the background. While every attempt has been made to match the standard blend modes used in graphic arts software, hue blending has been modified to give a cleaner fill mix. Also, because of the reorganisation and renaming of the mask layers compared to the Lightworks masked blend effect, bypassing the effect will show the foreground layer, and not the fill layer. This was considered to be a reasonable change.

Versions of this effect dated after 25 May 2020 have added the ability to derive the mask using a colour match process. This helps where the mask doesn't have at least one of red, green or blue at maximum level.

You will find the effect here, and installation instructions if you need them here.

NOTE: Because of the similarity between this and "Matte key", that older effect has now been withdrawn. The functions that it provided are adequately covered by this and other effects.
Last Edit: 4 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months, 4 weeks ago #219568

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 4 weeks ago
"Witness protection" (WitnessProtection.fx) is, as the name sugests, an effect designed to generate witness protection-style blurred or mosaic image obscuring patterns. The pattern can be adjusted in size and position. The blur amount can be varied using the strength control, and the mosaic size can also be varied with that same control.

The cropping and the position adjustment is done before the blur or mosaic generation. This means that the edges of the blur will always blend smoothly into the background image, and the mosaic tiles will never be partially cut at the edges of the mask. You will find it here, with installation instructions here.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months, 3 weeks ago #220017

• rcrath
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi,

@jwks, I am hoping you or others can help me out. I was trying to run the 70sPsychedlia effect for a 2-3 minute segment of a longer video. When I load the plugin into the sequence, it shows the initial settings rendering the frame in the viewport but then crashes lwks. AAfter a few trys I am able to remove it to get the project back but I am not able to use the plugin, which I was looking forward to trying. Still pretty much a lwks newb, but have provided debug info for years! Lmk what info you would need to debug plz. Thnks for your help in advance. My OS is win 10 on an 8-yr old computer, so I'm guessing it could be just too much for the gpu or cpu to deal with.

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months, 3 weeks ago #220020

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Not jwks, but I'll try!

Coincidentally, I have been re-engineering that effect to simplify what's under the hood somewhat. Try this version and see if it helps at all. Depending on your display card, the amount of memory that it has, it may fix things. I have reduced the operations required in the original effect, which will reduce the GPU load.

The effect is also different to the previous version in that the monochrome parameter has been replaced with a gain adjustment. The monochrome parameter was completely redundant. What this means is that if you delete and reinstall this effect anywhere that you have already used the effect it will show the word monochrome instead of gain. That won't break anything.

Download the effect from the below link and let me know how you get on with it. I've done my best to break it over the last two hours and can't, but we'll see.

www.lwks.com/media/kunena/attachments/6375/70sPsychedelia_2020-06-10.zip
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months, 2 weeks ago #220282

• rcrath
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Not jwks, but I'll try!

lol, I must of been thinking of your lwks cyborg other. Sorry. OK, I tested it out on two computers, one the old windows box and the other a much newer linux box with better specs. It still crashed on the windows box but worked fine on the linux one, leading me to conclude my computer is old. I'll be replacing it in the somewhat near future, so no worries. It's me, not you, lol. It is a very cool effect oncve I got to take it for a spin!

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months, 2 weeks ago #220283

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for getting back to me. Glad you like it.

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months, 1 week ago #220885

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
OK, after some discussion with schrauber, I've decided to add a new subcategory to the effects library. It's come about because of the Corona virus, and is called Multiscreen Effects. We've started it with three effects - two by schrauber and one by me. They are in order of screen grabs, "Quad split screen, simply", "Quad split screen, dynamic zoom" and "Quad split plus". They are each in their own way unique, so you'll need to click on the link to the new subcategory (above) to find out more.

Custom and User Effects feedback 4 months ago #221152

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
I've just added a new special effect called "Rainbow" (Rainbow.fx) that simply generates (surprise, surprise) rainbows. You can use it to create standard single rainbows, so-called moon dogs, and even double rainbows, the second rainbow inverted and outside the primary one. The blue end of the spectrum has adjustable falloff.

The rainbow is blended with the background image using a screen blend and can be varied in intensity. The default settings produce a 90 degree arch (plus and minus 45 degrees), but that can be adjusted to whatever angle that you need. You can get it here, and if you need them, installation instructions are here.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 3 weeks ago #221442

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Visual quad split (VisualQuadSplit.fx) is a new effect which produces individually sized, cropped and positioned images of up to four sources at a time from the inputs A, B, C and D. Input X (for eXternal) is a background source that can be used to daisy chain other instances of this effect to produce much more than four images on screen. The order of the various parameters in the user interface is the order in which the images are layered, so images will be overlaid with that priority.

The images can be individually cropped to create differing aspect ratios of the source media. To make sizing, cropping and position adjustment simpler for the user, those settings can all be made by dragging pin points on the edit viewer when in VFX mode. The screen grab above shows the pins that reference the A input. This effect has been optimised to use those pins, and can be set up solely using them.

The size and crop pin points will always be in the upper left quadrant for the A channel, the upper right is for the B, the lower left for the C and the lower right for the D channel regardless of the actual position and size of the images. This is a characteristic of the way that the Lightworks effects engine works and cannot be changed. Size adjustment is performed by dragging the selected input's size pin point towards or away from the centre of the screen. Dragging away from the centre enlarges it, and towards the centre reduces it.

You can download this effect here, and installation instructions are available if you need them.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Custom and User Effects feedback 3 months, 3 weeks ago #221640

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Here's another of my CoVid-19 effects. This actually took me less time to write than it took to do the screen grabs! It's called "Visual motion blur" (VisualMotionBlur.fx) and is a directional blur that can be very simply set up by visually dragging a central pin point in the record viewer to adjust the angle and strength of the blur.

The centre cross point in the screen grab isn't displayed by the effect. I have added it to make the offset clearer. You can download Visual motion blur here, and installation instructions are available here if you are installing an effect for the first time.
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds
Scroll To Top