Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Custom and User Effects

Re: Simple tools 7 months, 1 week ago #210508

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago

EffectAuthorDownloadCategoryCreatedThis version
Multi tonerjwrlMultiToner.fxColourAug. 3 2020Aug. 3 2020

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Multiple toner aims to produce the effect of a range of chemical processes that can be applied to black and white prints. The tones used are generic, and the black and white conversion approximates the spectral response of panchromatic film.

The sepia toner is based on an existing effect, and closely matches the look of photographic prints that have been compared with it. The selenium toners have two presets because the actual colour produced is seriously affected by the chemistry of the paper used. Bottom line: these colour values have been obtained empirically. Even with the best care and attention given, how well the results match can only be subjective.

I've had to rely on on-line reference images for the gold toner. As far as I'm aware I've never actually seen one "in the flesh", so to speak. I opted to emulate a combination of gold/sepia, which is apparently a reasonably common toner process. The blue-black of pure gold toning didn't looked as uninteresting.

Copper toning can vary from the reddish tones that you see here through to quite green or even blue depending on the print's age and how it has been stored. I just picked a colour and contrast setting that had about the right look. I've based the blue in the iron toner on the blue you see in blueprints, because the chemistry that produces that colour is identical to the chemistry in a treated photographic print.

Re: Simple tools 7 months, 1 week ago #210509

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago

EffectAuthorFilenameTransition typeCreatedThis version
Optical fade downjwrlOpticalFadeDown.fxFadeDec. 31 2018July 30 2020
Optical fade up OpticalFadeUp.fx

These two effects simulate a film laboratory optical printer fade up from black or down to black. They are applied in the same way as you would apply a title effect, i.e., by marking the region that the fade in or out is to occupy. The screen grab above shows the way the effect appears at the halfway point of a fade compared to a standard fade. It has a much more dramatic feel than a standard fade.

You should play OpticalFade.mp4 to really see how it feels. If you want both effects you will find them together in OpticalFades.zip.

Re: Simple tools 7 months, 1 week ago #210510

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago

EffectAuthorDownloadCategoryCreatedThis version
Rainbow V2jwrlRainbow_V2.fxStylizeJune 27 2020July 2 2020

This is a special effect that generates single and double rainbows. The blue end of the spectrum has adjustable falloff to give a fade out that is more like what happens in nature. The rainbow is blended with the background image using a modified screen blend that varies in strength according to the inverse of the background brightness. It can also be varied in intensity. The default crop settings will produce a 90 degree arc (plus and minus 45 degrees), but can be adjusted to whatever angle you need over a 180 degree range.

The secondary rainbow is inverted (i.e., VIBGYOR instead of ROYGBIV) and inherits Amount, Radius, Width, Falloff and Origin from the primary rainbow. For the secondary rainbow the master Amount is modified by the secondary rainbow Amount, and master Radius and Width are modified by the secondary rainbow Offset. The secondary rainbow's crop angle and feathering are independent of the master rainbow settings.

Re: Custom and User Effects 5 days, 5 hours ago #223208

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 5 hours ago
Multiple toner (MultiToner.fx) aims to produce the effect of a range of chemical processes that can be applied to black and white prints. It emulates sepia (silver sulphide), selenium (2 variants), gold, copper and iron toners.

You will find the effect here and installation instructions here.

In an attempt to control the size of this thread it is now locked. If you find a broken link or an effect that doesn't compile or run correctly please post as much information as you can about the problem in the Custom and User Effects feedback thread. It will be attended to.

The fact that this thread is locked does NOT mean that it is no longer active. There will doubtless be additional effects added and possibly even others removed. It's just the feedback that has been separated out. In fact even if you just want to talk to us, use the Custom and User Effects feedback. We'd appreciate hearing from you.
Last Edit: 5 days, 4 hours ago by jwrl.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top