Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated]

VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 8 months ago #18664

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
I've created an AutoIt program that will allow you to use VirtualDub as an assistant application.

VDAssApp_13-06-20.zip (updated)Edit: Updated 2013-06-20.

Unzip VDAssApp.exe into the same directory as your Virtualdub.exe file (If you put it somewhere else it will ask you once for the location of the virtualdub executable file).

Now open Lightworks and enter one of your projects. Bring up the effects panel and click on the cogs icon and click on "Assistant Applications..".
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Click the "Add.." button.

Click the "Executable" button.

Select VDAssApp.exe and click "Ok".

Name it "VirtualDub" and click the "Output directory" button.

Select an output directory and click "Ok".

Now click "Do It".

Mark and park the section you want to use Virtualdub on and click "Effects..".

In the effects panel select "Assistant Apps".

Select "VirtualDub" and click "Add".

Bring up the effects configuration panel and click "List sources" (This must be done before you click "Launch"). This will generate a sources-list.txt file and open it in notepad. Go ahead and close it.

Now hit the "Launch" button.

Virtualdub will open with your source file loaded and the frames selected. Notice the status at the bottom shows you the video track and frames marked in Lightworks. Add your filters, etc. and set the compression for a Lightworks compatible format and save your new avi file into the output directory you chose in the virtualdub assistant app setup.

Back in Lightworks you'll note this message in the edit viewer.

Right click on the effect in the timeline and select "Replace with import..".

Select the video file you just saved from virtualdub and click "Ok".

That section on the edit is now replaced with the newly rendered video. You can right click on it and select "Re-configure" to get back to what you had before.

Enjoy.

Note: Be aware that if you use the Matrox codecs, VirtualDub will not close properly. It will remain in memory and you will need to kill it with Task Manager. (I'll be very happy when we no longer need to use the Matrox codecs with Lightworks)
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by khaver.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application 8 years, 8 months ago #18665

• doomsday
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
WOW! Thanks for this!
Asus X99 Deluxe MB, Intel Core i7 5930K 3.50 GHz cpu, Dual SLI EVGA GTX970s, 32Gb Crucial ddr4 mem, Kingston 450/450 SSD main drive,Second SSD Working drive, Windows 10

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application 8 years, 8 months ago #18697

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Here's an update to my VirtualDub as an Assistant Application program.
VDAssApp6.zip
Edit: Bug fixed. Please re-download.

This one allows you to use Avisynth as a frameserver of the clip into VirtualDub. Make sure you have Avisynth installed and working and unzip VDAssApp.exe into the directory where VirtualDub is installed.

To use Avisynth, create an Avisyth script template (a text file) using notepad or other plain text editor. The first function of the script should be a video input function. For AVI files this should look like this:

AviSource("__VID__")

It's important for __VID__ (2 underscores VID 2 underscores) in quotes to be there. The VDAssApp program will replace this with the real video source file name before running VirtualDub.

Below this add your avisynth video filters and save the file.

In Lightworks mark and park on your edit the section you want to process. Add the VirtualDub assistant app effect. In the effect configuration, click the "Project file" button and select your Avisynth template file. (leaving this blank bypasses Avisynth and loads the video clip directly into VirtualDub)

Click the "List sources" button to generate the sources-list.txt file and then click "Launch". VirtualDub will run with a temp.avs as the source. Notepad will also open with the temp.avs Avisynth script so you can tweak things. Just make your changes in the temp.avs file, save, and in VirtualDub select "Reopen file".
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by khaver.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application 8 years, 8 months ago #18699

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Just bumping the thread so those that downloaded VDAssApp2.zip know to download the bug fixed VDAssApp3.zip

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 8 months ago #18711

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Wow, that's genious!
Left right left right left right left
I love working for uncle Sam - I love working for uncle Sam
Let's me know iust who I am - let's me know just who I am

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 8 months ago #18717

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
tin2tin wrote:
Wow, that's genious!

No, not really. VirtualDub has a scripting language that allows you to write a text file containing commands for it to run when you load it (load video file and set frames to process). Avisynth is a frameserver that uses text files containing commands for video processing. My program just uses the info Lightworks creates when you use the Assistant Application feature to create the Avisynth and/or VirtualDub scripts on the fly before running them.

AutoIt, the program I used to create my utility is a very powerful, yet simple to use, program creator.

What's nice about using my utility with Lightworks is it allows you to use all the VirtualDub processing filters on just sections of video in your timeline while you're creating your edit. And by using the Avisynth feature you can have a library of template files containing a variety of processing filters, many of which can't be accomplished with the effects scripting capability in Lightworks.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 8 months ago #18722

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
I found a problem using my utility when the Virtualdub effect overlaps more than one clip (spans a cut). While I look into this, for now, only add the effect to a single clip at a time or if it spans over a cut, split the effect at the cut by putting the head over the cut, de-selecting all tracks but the FX track and hitting "Delete" on the console. Then process each section of the effect separately.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 8 months ago #18749

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Okay, I fixed the problem for the effect spanning a cut. What it will do is open each file in Virtualdub one at a time. Set your filters each time and make sure you use the exact same compression settings each time. When you've finished rendering all of the clips in Virtualdub and closed it for the last time, you will be prompted to select each new file in the order of your edit. When you've selected the last file you'll then be prompted for a file name of the combined files. Give it any name (without the .avi extension). VirtualDub will then open and combine the separate renderings into one file with the name you entered and delete the separate clips.

Note: some codecs don't allow combining files in this way. You'll have to experiment. The Cineform codec is one I've found doesn't work, though it does work if the effect is on a single clip. The Matrox codecs do work.

VDAssApp6.zip
Last minute addition. Added a checkbox for saving the separate files in case you don't want to delete them.
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by khaver.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 8 months ago #18825

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Here's another update (no, I don't work for Microsoft ). This one lets you re-compress the multiple clips into one file instead of just joining the clips together. This will allow you to use a codec like Cineform that won't allow simple joining.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 6 months ago #19652

What I doing wrong?
I did exactly how you taught but LW presents this attached mensage

How I create this?
I tried simply create a file with this name but the Virtual Dub doesn't open.
Attachments:
I'm Brazilian, be patience with my english.

Acer 5750-6_br821 / Core I5
Canon 600D-X5-T3i / 18-55 / With Magic Lantern

www.hipnotize.me
www.facebook.com/hipnotize.me

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 6 months ago #19653

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
Before you hit the "Launch" button, click the "List sources" button. This will generate the sources-list.txt file (the sources-list.txt file will open in notepad but you can go ahead and close notepad). After you've generated the sources-list.txt file now you can click the "Launch" button.

Note: that ERROR dialog box that came up was from my VDAssApp program not Lightworks.
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by khaver.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 6 months ago #19654

I tried click in "list sources" but appears this mensage attached(Is not possible found the file C:\... . Do you want create a new file?) And when I create a new file, he's in blank and the VirtualDub doesn't open when I hit "launch".
Attachments:

www.hipnotize.me

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 6 months ago #19656

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
On my XP system, Lightworks puts the sources-list.txt file in C:\Program Files\Lightworks\Lightworks

After you click the "Sources list" button and notepad tries to open it, search your C: drive and see if Lightworks put the file in a different location. If the file does not exist, or it's putting it someplace alse then there's something wrong with your Lightworks installation.

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 6 months ago #19658

In fact the file was in a different location. I tried to move it to the correct location but when I open VirtualDub, this message appears attached.
So, the problem is my LW?

ps: the portuguese message is:"the system can not find the file specified"
Attachments:

www.hipnotize.me

Re: VirtualDub as an assistant application [Updated] 8 years, 6 months ago #19659

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
Where did Lightworks put the sources-list.txt?

Are you running Lightworks as an administrator? If not, right click the Lightworks shortcut and select "Run as an administrator". Running as an administrator allows you to have read & write access to the Lightworks installation folder. This should allow Lightworks to create the file in the correct location. My VDAssApp program will also try to write a file into that location (the vdassapp.vdscript file).
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds
Scroll To Top