• Page:

TOPIC: How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo

How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184566

• GioMBG
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months ago
Hi All,
just a new lightwave newbie enthusiast new user...
I would like to know if there is the possibility to make some 2D move and zoom effects on static photos like was available on the old Win Movie Meker...
always thanks
Gio
Last Edit: 11 months ago by briandrys.

Re: how to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184568

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

There are two methods. either use the DVE, which has resolution limitations when you zoom in because you've imported the still at the video resolution or use the IMAGE KEY, which uses the full resolution of the still.

So, if zooming in, for the sharper picture it's best to use image key, this will use the full resolution of the original still. If not zooming in just use the standard import method you use for a video clip.

NOTE The V14.6 beta automatically uses the image key method as a single step.

IMAGE KEY METHOD

When using the image key method, first create video black (using the bin commands in the fixed layout > make > video black) and place a suitable length clip of this black into the sequence timeline, just like any other clip.

Note that video black is found in prints, not clips in the Content Manager.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

In the flexible layout video black cam also be found by right clicking on the create new sequence icon.

Note that if you don't put the clip of video black into the sequence timeline, you won't be able to use the full still image.

Open the VFX tab and select image key from the effects browser (keys). Import the still using this effect with image ... choose a file.

Use the sliders in position and scale (seen above) to move your still when using Image Key. Play with them to see what they do

The still will use the video black as a background. You can then use the keyframes to set the moves on the still. Enable this by clicking on the clock icons on the left of the slides. For more on keyframes see: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=184219&Itemid=81#184244

The instructions for the earlier Lightworks versions seen in various old tutorals should pretty much hold at this stage.

The main difference with the flexible layout is you use a button in the timeline to select the effects, while in the fixed layout you use the VFX tab, other than that the procedures are pretty similar.

DVE METHOD

This unofficial video shows a DVE zoom in and out, note that you should use mark (in) and park (the playhead), rather than in and out marks. This saves one step in the operation, so is faster.

NOTE, with the DVE method you don't need video black to be put into the timeline. You just put your still image clip into the timeline like any other clip. So instead of the guitar clip in the video tutorial, you have the still image,

Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: how to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184587

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
An alternative to the Lightworks 2D DVE is described in Addressing problems with the LW DVE. It corrects some rather nasty design flaws in the Lightworks effect.

However the disadvantage of importing the still then applying either DVE effect is that as you zoom in you will lose resolution. This is because Lightworks scales the image to the size of the project as it imports it. This means that the image can noticeably soften if you enlarge it.

There is a third technique available which makes use of the still at its original resolution. If you use the image effect you will be able to adjust zoom and position, and because you're working at the original image's resolution, can work with oversize images to improve the quality as you zoom in. You will find the effect in Matte > Image. If you want to superimpose the image over background video, you could alternatively use the image key effect, which is in Key > Image key. Both use the same means of importing the image at its original resolution.
Last Edit: 10 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: how to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184600

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
Made this some time ago - to demonstrate the quality and extent of zoom in available using image key - also the quality of a LW Free export of the same

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: how to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184601

• GioMBG
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months ago
really thanks all 2 all
I will try asap all these solutions
Gio

Re: how to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184605

• GioMBG
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months ago
hi All,
just check out the video tutorial !
exactly what I'm searcin' for but for the images,
I suppose that what explained will sure help me on images too...
going to make another forum to ask a tutorial in howto insert images on video.
always thanks
Gio

howto insert static images on video 11 months ago #184606

• GioMBG
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months ago
Hi All,
can someone help me to find a tutorial in howto insert statc images on a certain point of a video ?
always thanks
Gio

Re: how to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184607

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
Is this putting a still picture onto another video already in the timeline or just putting a still into the timeline?

howto insert static images on video 11 months ago #184609

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
I assume you want a picture onto another video. Have a look at this unofficial video, a static image is imported into Lightworks and treated the same as any other clip. Note that you can mark and park, rather than using in and out points,

Note it's often worth running a search of the forum, chances are that a question has come up before.

Re: How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184697

• GioMBG
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months ago
hi All,
I hope to successful make what was suggested before,
so here we have video black + two "2D effects" with 2 different images...
I would like to insert ture the 2 images a dissolve effect like is possible true videos,

I've try to see all the suggested clips but I can't go forward from here...
how I can do ?
thanks
Gio

Re: How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184700

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
The easiest method would be to put a clip of video black into the sequence timeline for each still and have an image key effect on each black clip. Then you can put a transition (eg a dissolve) between them like any other two clips.

Note that the effects have to be folded, not on the separate FX track. The little squares on the video track show that the effects are folded. You change this using the sequence menu on the clip and selecting fold (the other option is unfold when wanting a FX track).

This is done the same as a standard transition.

Either right click on the cut - the sequence menu opens.

In transitions
Set length and centred here.
select: add > dissolve

or

Use F8 key and follow the selections, then click on add.

For further detail please see P140 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

I would ensure than you've got excess, unused video black (or source media) at either end of the clip for your transition overlaps.
Last Edit: 10 months, 4 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184776

• GioMBG
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months ago
sorry,
"You change this using the sequence menu on the clip and selecting fold " but where ?
when I try to assign an image, I'm doing it wrong, and appears exactly like in my image and like this any dissolve...
stucked I'm return here after one hour searcin' fold ...
can You kindly show where is this fold
always thanks
Gio

Re: How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184777

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
Right click on the clip (or segment) and a menu with effects appears.

This is the menu that appears with the folded effects, the unfolded effects (i.e. with a FX track) will say fold. Left click on that if you wish to have a folded effect, as seen in the screen grab.

Note that the sequence menu that appears is the one appropriate to where you right click. So, if there's no effect on the clip, the effects doesn't appear. It's worth checking out the different areas on the timeline to see which commands appear.

Re: How to make 2D move / zoom effects on static photo 11 months ago #184823

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
To make a sequence of Zooming stills with a 'dissolve' transition at the very best quality - I'd use two unfolded FX tracks - as in the attached .png. Two is the total number of FX tracks needed for this.

The top track would be faded in and out as required using the keyframes Blend tool Opacity slider - the bottom track does not need any fades.

The process could be easily and quite quickly done for multiple images by saving a 'template' fade out and face in version - then just putting them in place on FX1/FX2 and changing images - adjusting start end positioning as required for both FX1 and FX2

Also attached in an export of just the transition section as an illustration.

(For my example I used the same image in both FX1 and FX2)

BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 11 months ago by jwrl.

Odd behaviour of attachments 11 months ago #184831

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
Slideshow on FX with pan and zoom and transitions with Image key effect, yeah.This reminds me on this discussion some time ago.

I made a short demo then which I just uploaded to Youtube, here:

The downside of Image and Image key effects. The images linked to those effects are (still) not saved in project backups/archives.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top