Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SUBTITLES

SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183128

• jcadbury
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
How do you begin and end inserting different subtitles in Lightworks v14 (as in changing instructions for a training clip)

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183165

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

You can mark and park where you want a particular title in a clip. The lower third titles would be the one to go for with subtitles, these are found in the VFX tap.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183216

• jcadbury
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Brian - Big thanks for your reply but I spent a few hours doing this. I got the first subtitle in ok and lasting the period (about 5 secs) that I wanted. But then when I tried putting in another subtitle further along in the training film, I took trouble to set a new 'In' with blue flag facing rightways and the an 'Out' with blue flag facing leftways, it did not appear there at all.
Worse, it appear overwriting the first one..!
Your help hugely appreciated as I have a time deadline!

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183218

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
You need to create another title effect for each one and not reuse the old one.

You don't need to use in and out, use mark and mark, it's one of the features of lightworks: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=27&id=110089&Itemid=81

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You can use trim to change the length of the title using the FX track.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by briandrys.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183281

• jcadbury
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Thank you so much but I have given up on Lightworks. It is a great video system but adding multiple subtitles for training films, it is a disaster with blackouts on video when you try and insert text and over-writing earlier texts - they need to get this problem corrected. Maybe a video as others have suggested or getting this In and Out markers actually doing what they claim.
But my huge thanks Brian for trying to help! Justin

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183282

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
If you wish trying, finalize your video with all effects, transitions and audio first and export. Then, use third party software to add subtitles, something like Aegissub www.aegisub.org/. That's by far more powerful and flexible than fiddling around with Lightworks text effects.

Edit: I didn't say that it is easier to learn.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by hugly.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183283

• jcadbury
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Thanks so much Hugly! I'm a tad exasperated as Lightworks looked so good (great layout for editing) , but then fell badly on adding subtitles. I understand clever programmers can do it, but not for ordinary folk!

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183286

• asilnevs
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
This is a new video on problems with putting text on your video and how to do it right:
Laptop: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz / System memory: 16GB / 64 bits / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1600 6GB / Samsung SSD 970 Evo M.2 1TB (PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe) + Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB / OS: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / Lightworks Pro 14.6 Beta

Desktop: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 3.60GHz / System memory: 16GB / 64bits / Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller / Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller / Harddisks: SSD 128GB - HD 500GB - HD 2TB / OS: Ubuntu 18.04 / Lightworks Pro 14.5

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183288

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
i usually make a separate subtitle file with a subtitle program, would this be an option for you? there you can also add various languages etc.....
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by kalimerox.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183289

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
ESH Tech has a number of well explained video tutorials on Lightworks. as seen above.

The in and out/mark and park does work, unfortunately, we can't see how you're applying the subtitles and if you're adjusting the title's position as seen in the ESH Tech video, so breaking the link in the video routing.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183294

• jcadbury
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Well done and thanks Asil - great movie - much clearer - still rather stretching my skills over simple MovieMaker! But will persevere..! J

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183312

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Just be aware: as briandrys said above, you don't need to mark an in and an out, despite what the guy who does these tutorials always does. Lightworks was designed from the very beginning in the early 1990s to use mark and park, and still does.

To use mark and park, mark one end of where you want the title with an in or an out mark - doesn't matter which in this context - park your cursor at the other end, then add your effect. It saves an extra keystroke and is worth knowing about.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183328

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
EDIT I've added a comment about mark and park on ESH Tech's Basic 1 video and suggested he might make a video on it.

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183380

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
ESH Tech has replied

"Absolutely agree - but I make these videos for my students and the mark and park somehow always goes wrong for them! But I agree with you - I'll throw it into my next video just for fairness."

Re: SUBTITLES 1 year, 9 months ago #183381

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
"mark and park somehow always goes wrong for them" - it's a bit hard to see how it could!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top