Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear?

How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 4 months ago #177367

• Rowland852
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Hello I'm new to video editing software.
I would like to be able to have titles appear within a clip for only a limited time before disappearing / fading out.

I've not succeded in figuring this out or finding a tutorial or a forum post.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 4 months ago #177370

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Hello and welcome!

Have a look at official Quick Start video tutorial:

It shows how to mark and park a section and how to apply a Titles effect over a certain duration (in the video spanning the whole duration, but duration is in your hands and trimmable after applying).

On Titles under Effects tab you'll find settings to adjust fade-in and fade-out.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182473

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone

Am completely new at Lightworks so please be patient. I have added a title to a video I am working on. I have added in a text box as described in your video tutorials. The issue I have is that it doesn't fade out. It fades in alright but stays on so I must be doing something wrong. In the Effects settings, I have it at 10 seconds fade in and 20 seconds fade out. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

Danny

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182478

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
You will find fade in and fade out under the effects tab within the panel for titles/text

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182479

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
@Sarge – I found, as a new LWKS user, that it was helpful to diagram completely on a piece of paper exactly when and exactly what I wanted to happen when applying an effect. When does it start. How does it start (fade in?). How long does the fade-in last. How long does the full effect last. Exactly when does it start to fade out. Exactly when is the fadeout complete.
It’s a tedious exercise when first done, but builds in the mind’s eye the spatial framework you overlay your timeline with subconsciously every time you apply an effect.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy S7 with Filmic Pro*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182481

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Hi Brian

Yes that is where I have set the fade in and out times. The fade out doesn't work, only the fade in. Do I need to do something else or it should work?

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182482

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
@Sarge – 1. At what time and frame do you have your fadeout set to begin?
2. At what frame and time do you have your fadeout set to end?
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182483

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
@Sarge – 1. At what time and frame do you have your fadeout set to begin?
2. At what frame and time do you have your fadeout set to end?

Hi Geo

Am using the title effects settings to set it. I changed it to 5 seconds fade in and 10 seconds fade out. The fade in takes exactly 5 seconds as expected. The fade out doesn't work and the title remains. So the fade in starts at 0:00 and takes 5 seconds to fully appear. Do I have to use the red bar to set the fade out or should it do it automatically since I have set it in the settings tab?

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182484

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Using the fade in and out on the titles, you put in how long you want each of these to last. There is a length in seconds below the fade, this has a small triangle, clicking on this opens a range of options that you can select or to personalise it you can type in your own length in the little window.

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182486

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
briandrys wrote:
Using the fade in and out on the titles, you put in how long you want each of these to last. There is a length in seconds below the fade, this has a small triangle, clicking on this opens a range of options that you can select or to personalise it you can type in your own length in the little window.

Hi Brian

I have done this. I currently have it at 2 seconds fade in and 5 seconds fade out. The fade in works great... it's the fade out that doesn't. I've tried setting it to different times etc... and the same result. I see there is a keyframe area underneath, do I have to set something in that or the fade out should be handled by the software?

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182487

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Hi Sarge -- My sense is that you have applied the effect to the whole clip and not to the segment where you want the title to appear.

Remove the effect and start over.

On your timeline, mark the frame where you want the title to begin to fade in. [Set your playhead there and click the left blue parallegram]. Then mark [forgive me, jwrl] the frame where you want the fadeout to end. [Set your playhead there and click the right blue parallelogram.]

Then add the title effect to that marked section of your clip, and then set again the fade in and fadeout times.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by geomcd1949. Reason: clarity

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182488

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
Hi Sarge -- My sense is that you have applied the effect to the whole clip and not to the segment where you want the title to appear.

Remove the effect and start over.

On your timeline, mark the frame where you want the title to begin to fade in. [Set your playhead there and click the left blue parallegram]. Then mark [forgive me, jwrl] the frame where you want the fadeout to end. [Set your playhead there and click the right blue parallelogram.]

Then add the title effect to that marked section of your clip, and then set again the fade in and fadeout times.

Got it!!! I had not marked the timeline. I must have missed that step in the tutorial video. Thanks alot Geo! I really appreciate it.

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182489

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Now I tell you this to keep me out of hot water with the pros here. Yo DO NOT ever need to click the second blue parallelogram to create a point. If you set the playhead there, and then perform the operation you intend, that is enough.
The process is called mark-and-park, and saves valuable time in editing.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182491

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
OK cool. I just started using Lightworks today actually. I bought a drone and will now learn this software to edit. Another hobby!! Good thing I am retired.

Re: How do I get titles to appear for a limited time and then dissappear? 2 years, 1 month ago #182492

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top