Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks User Repository

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191195

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
It wasn't me!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191203

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
George, that sounds like an excellent idea. I would be delighted if you could take that on.

If anyone else would like to assist, I'm sure that George would appreciate it. I'm in no position to do much at the moment because I have family commitments which will occupy me until the last week in January.

- and as for the loss of your Oscar-worthy video, I think what really happened is that someone opened the wrong envelope.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191206

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
@jwrl – The Wrong-Envelope Theory may explain the travesty, but I’m more inclined to suspect the hand of @hugly, who was the only one who felt it necessary to deny culpability.

My thoughts on the single effects video, subject of course to suggestions, additions, corrections, better ideas, &c., is to dedicate 10 to 30 seconds per effect, with text overlays on each that list Name of the effect, the Author, and its Category.

The Groupings will be that which you have recently dedicated very much time to establishing, and the order will be the same as within your groupings.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191211

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Good. Those groupings are the subcategories that the effects appear in.

You may have noticed that each user effect also now has descriptive text when you look at its thumbnail in the VFX panel. I don't know if that will help you in any way, George. Also, some of the effects names have had slight changes from their originals so that I could preserve the existing library without conflict while we debug the new one. I haven't always been as good as I could be in logging those unfortunately, but I will try and catch up with them before the weekend.

By debug I mean debug the library structure, not the individual effects in the library. I've been through all of those in Windows but not yet in Linux. I have my new Linux box up and running, but have not yet installed Lightworks, and probably won't be able to for a while. Since the changes in the effects all involve changes to the header block, they should all work as they always did anyway.

I'm seriously thinking of pinning the new library once I've had time to update the remote control page with the new versions that schrauber has just supplied. We'll then let it sit in place of the two current threads. I'm working on an .md script to replace the current effects list, and then we'll just need to upload the new library to the GitHub.

This will mean replacing the zip links in the two existing threads with links to a zip of the library as it currently is on the hub. That won't be a problem. The existing structure can then be retired, but we still need to decide how we do that. I believe that those versions still have considerable value and shouldn't be lost. Apart from anything else, I have withdrawn several effects that no longer serve any useful purpose in 14.5 but they should be kept somewhere.

There are other effects that I'm looking at with a view to removal. For example, it's really no longer necessary to have a safe area and crosshatch generator in my opinion. It might be argued that it could be the basis of a good viewfinder simulator, but I suspect that would be better implemented using a linked PNG file. If anyone has ideas for other effects that could probably go let me know.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191215

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
John – Oscar nominations for this year are already in, so there’s no hurry. I’ll begin when you’re satisfied with the final list, naming, and order.

I’m going to ask Eric Matyas, who frequently posts links to his instrumental compositions on the Forum, if he would provide a soundtrack for the piece. I won’t insult him by offering mere money, but I’m sure he’ll snag a statuette at the 2020 Oscars for Best Original Score.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191220

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
.. I’ll begin when you’re satisfied with the final list, naming, and order...

Because you're probably going to install a lot of updated effects for video creation:
In order not to mix the old and the new structure, I recommend new structure in a new ... "Lightworks \ Effect Templates" folder to install. (not too many effects at once)

I assume you know it:
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191221

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Oh, yes. Definitely do that. Otherwise things get very messy very quickly.

I have updated the Remote Control section of the user effects, schrauber. I have also linked the two existing threads to the version of the master zip as it as this moment instead of the dynamic link. We can now start updating the hub without affecting anything here. I'll shortly swap the pinned threads out and the new one in.

[EDIT] I've just swapped the two pinned threads out and put the new one in their place.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191222

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Many Thanks!
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191256

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Way back in the dim dark distant past this was posted.

woodzu123 wrote:
* Moving existing repository to github.com/LightworksNLE organization

Moving the repository should not affect you in any way, and github should transfer all access rights seamlessly and redirect from old URLs.

For various reasons nothing further happened. The link still works, but there's nothing there. Would it not be useful at this stage to move the new structure to that location with a view to going live with woodzu123's proposal? We have to be getting close to being able to do that, surely.

At the moment I have backed up the existing structure as it was at Jan 1 to my Restructuring;-in-progress branch, so I could actually just swap the old with the new structure at github.com/fx-planet/lwks-fx-bundle. That has implications for the work that gr00by is doing with the user interface, so I'll hold off until everyone is happy.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191290

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
A little think piece about the future of Lightworks effects: amongst the features proposed for version 15 to be released later this year are the following.

Matt Sandford wrote:

• Adding support for device arrival (phones, camera cards etc)
  • Adding support for OFX plugins
  • Adding support for custom output formats
  • Adding support for audio FX plugins

Each of those has the potential to impact on the user effects library in some way. I suspect that there's even the potential for a lot of the effects here to become redundant. The first and third bullet points should (hopefully) mean that any format fixing effects will instantly be unnecessary. There are already several effects that I have left in the library that are really no longer needed.

In my opinion the most important change is the addition of OFX support. This may very well signal the swan song of the user effects as they currently exist. It may even mean that the existing effects structure must ultimately be retired completely in favour of OFX effects when that is implemented. Whichever way it goes there's already a range of OFX effects that do things we would find hard to do efficiently with Cg. I for one am not at all certain that at the age of 76 I would have the ability to learn another effects programming paradigm. Although knowing me it probably won't stop me from trying!

However whatever happens, it's likely to be exciting.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191372

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
jwrl wrote:
I could actually just swap the old with the new structure at github.com/fx-planet/lwks-fx-bundle. That has implications for the work that gr00by is doing with the user interface, so I'll hold off until everyone is happy.

No responses from anyone? I'm going to be away for the next 10-12 days, so if anyone wants to do the GitHub update in my absence, the new library zip is at www.lwks.com/media/kunena/attachments/6375/PlanBlibrary.zip and the associated markup is at www.lwks.com/media/kunena/attachments/6375/PlanBmarkup.zip.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191373

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
John, This weekend I'll try to update fxplanet together with removing old categories and effects (and set this behaviour as default). Also I'll try to add support for phpdoc-like blocks.

AFAIR @schrauber was asking for linking to markdown files. Yes, you can use @see attr pointing to the URL of any markdown document. It will not be fetched as a description - it will be added as an external link (i.e. as link to external documentation)
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191374

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hi Marcin. The markdown is currently called Plan B markup. It's really only of use to people directly browsing the GitHub, and should replace "README.md" and be renamed to that. I just realised that I hadn't added the most recent effect, directional sharpen, so if you've already downloaded the MD zip, you should download it again.

It's unlikely that I'll get a chance to see the results of your work for about 12 days, but once I do I'll change the link on the first post of the library to the active zip.

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months, 1 week ago #191395

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
jwrl wrote:
... markdown is currently called Plan B markup. It's really only of use to people directly browsing the GitHub, and should replace "README.md" and be renamed to that..

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but maybe there is a misunderstanding?
README.md is a markdown file.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Lightworks User Repository 2 months ago #191396

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
gr00by wrote:
... AFAIR @schrauber was asking for linking to markdown files. Yes, you can use @see attr pointing to the URL ...

Assuming that the .md file (or .pdf, or .zip, .gif, etc.) is in the same GitHub folder as the .fx file:
My question was mainly about whether I need to specify the complete GitHub URL behind @see, or if the file name is enough.
In other words, does fx-planet.ovh know the relative directory structure of GitHub and use it for links?
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 2 months ago by schrauber.
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top