Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for transition effects

Looking for transition effects 8 months ago #174637

Greetings all,

I'm very new to any manner of video editing, so a full program like Lightworks has been a bit of a hurdle to start (especially because things never go right for me with technology and I always get to deal with the rarely seen errors and problems with every endeavor). I've just started messing with transitions, and was wondering if there's a way to add new transitions to the free version (and which one I would be looking for, perhaps cross dissolve?), or if I can use the existing dissolve transition in a different way. I'm hoping to have a transition where one video fades into the next, without it being a fade to a black/whatever screen inbetween, but I haven't been able to figure it out so far.

Anyone able to offer some assistance?

Many thanks

Re: Looking for transition effects 8 months ago #174641

• fishmonger
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
All is possible of course, but given what you say I strongly recommend taking time to go though at least some of the tutorial videos,
good luck!
f

Re: Looking for transition effects 8 months ago #174642

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
There are several things to be aware of with transitions. The first is to always remember that Lightworks cannot invent media. If you butt the start of one clip to the end of another you will never be able to apply any sort of transition. There is no overlapping media available for Lightworks to use.

If on the other hand you have edited those same two shots differently it will work. If you edited the incoming shot starting six frames after its actual start to the other clip six frames before it actually ended you will be able to do a twelve frame dissolve at the cut point.

Give me about half an hour while I try and come up with yet another explanation of the process. This isn't the first time that this question has been asked. People who drag and drop for example regularly encounter the problem. Explaining it in a way that is readily understood is hard. Trust me: I have tried several times.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174645

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
OK, I have made yet another attempt to explain what goes on in a dissolve and what you need to allow for. I have also included two steps in a training wheels technique, figure 5 and 6.

One thing that beginners tend to have trouble with is the concept of overlap. As I said in the post above, Lightworks can't invent media. If you don't have enough overlapping media you can't do a dissolve. The illustrations below (which took a lot longer than half an hour, by the way) are another attempt to explain this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Figure 1 is self-explanatory, and figure 2 shows what you would see in the timeline once you have successfully added your dissolve. To add the dissolve several things must happen, the first being that your cursor (the red line) must be exactly on the cut, as shown. The second is that you must have the extra media available that Lightworks will use to build the dissolve. Figure 3 shows you a visualisation of what is actually happening during the dissolve. Note that this is a graphic that I created and not something that you will ever see in a Lightworks timeline.

Figure 4 shows the media availability. The greyed sections show the minimum amount of extra media that would have to be available either side of the cut. For example, let's say that you want to have a 24 frame centred dissolve. In this case you must have media left in your first clip after you have cut out of it and media available in your second clip prior to where you have cut into it. There would be a need for twelve frames prior to the cut on the incoming media and twelve frames after the cut on the outgoing media. (Again, this is a graphic simulation - you will never see this in a Lightworks timeline).

Figures 5 and 6 show a "training wheels" version of a dissolve. It's not a good idea to work this way, because you can very quickly end up in a mess of tracks, but while learning it may help you get your head around what's actually happening. In this case the dissolve isn't centred, but is shown as a dissolve "From here".

Hope some of that helps, and is at least understandable.
Last Edit: 7 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174650

Appreciate the comments, and definitely your time putting that post together!

Aye, I've been going through the tutorial videos, though the error codes I was getting wasn't dealing with it and the tutorials I found are for the previous version I think, so have been having a hard time lining some of it up (getting there, but it's slower). I've seen some of your other posts, and have a thread open on the error messages in case I get more but I think it was just based on not having overlapping media. I believe I understand the needs of the dissolve pretty well, it's just a matter of how to overlap the tracks. I imagine that's in the tutorials and I'm just not there yet (I have 8 million projects in the air, and I need to get these videos going but alas...so much to do, hard to get through all the videos). Luckily most of my videos have content that can be lost for the dissolve, and I'll keep it in mind in the future.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174651

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Hello Walden-Photography,

Welcome to the forum. The best way that I can say to learn about the ins & outs of the Lightworks is to search YouTube for examples and tutorials, along with just experimenting. I have found using it for the last 18 months, many different things that I thought I would never understand. Today I find that I can do many things with it and it is quite powerful.

As for transitions, when I insert our Intro video for our videos on YouTube, I will use a from or to dissolve that works quite nicely for those. Also being sure to only do it on the video feeds that I want and not the whole sequence can also help.

Hope this helps somewhat also.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174653

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
walden-photography wrote:
I believe I understand the needs of the dissolve pretty well, it's just a matter of how to overlap the tracks. I imagine that's in the tutorials and I'm just not there yet

You don't have to overlap the tracks unless you decide to use the "training wheels" version that I showed above. It's useful to use as a training exercise only. There has to be media available for the dissolve to use outside the sections that you have used in your timeline - that's all.

Here's a little experiment. Put two shots together in a test sequence. Have them butted end to end. There's obviously no extra media available for a dissolve. Prove it to yourself by attempting to add one: not unexpectedly, it will fail.

Now go back fifteen frames from the cut point and place a mark there using the "i" key. Press "s" to jump back to the cut point, then advance fifteen frames and press the "x" key. The timeline looks the same, but you have now deleted thirty frames from it, centred around your original cut.

Now try and add a dissolve centred on the cut. It will work as long as the dissolve duration that you specify is thirty frames or less. Once you exceed thirty frames it will fail. The thirty frame deletion that you did earlier means that you have exactly thirty frames of unused media available for a dissolve to use.

(That technique of marking one end of a region of interest then parking at the other is called mark-and-park, and is the paradigm on which Lightworks is built. It's one of the power techniques available that makes it such a fast editor for professionals to use. And the tutorials aren't based on an older version of Lightworks - they are based on the flexible interface. In most cases the techniques discussed are identical in both fixed and flexible interfaces.)
Last Edit: 7 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174659

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
You may have seen this thread, but if you go further down in the thread you will find solutions and how to ensure that you have overlapping media.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174661

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Poor boy, walden-photography has been drowned already in valuable information about strategies to avoid THE message. I hope adding this little video won't hurt too much:

Please note: F8 opens the transition panel. Incoming cut points of transitions applied the way shown to material with no overlap can be properly trimmed to shorten, but not to extend (when extended, black frames will show).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 7 months, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174663

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
fishmonger wrote:
All is possible of course, but given what you say I strongly recommend taking time to go though at least some of the tutorial videos,
good luck!
f

With all respect, an alternative approach could be implementing meaningful assistance with the software to clearly show existing overlap and trimming methods to allow for proper extension of transitions applied to clips with insufficient overlapping material. In theory extremely simple.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174664

• fishmonger
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
thank you so much

hugly wrote:
fishmonger wrote:
good luck!
f

With all respect, an alternative approach could be implementing meaningful assistance with the software to clearly show existing overlap and trimming methods to allow for proper extension of transitions applied to clips with insufficient overlapping material. In theory extremely simple.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174666

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
fishmonger wrote:
thank you so much

You're welcome. Is it on the list?

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174673

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Slipping clips in the timeline to create the overlap is a band aid, this issue is best prevented by the primary method within the bins, before the clips and subclips are put into the timeline.

Slipping shouldn't be used as as the main method, it's a fix if you're using a source clip that's at the extreme start or end, so there's no unused media left at the join for an overlap.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174674

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
No matter what workflow, I would wish that this idiotic message would be replaced by meaningful support of the user exactly at the moment the problem shows up.

Re: Looking for transition effects 7 months, 4 weeks ago #174675

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Since there can be a number of things that can trigger this error message, you could become involved in quite detailed explanations in the error message. I don't think you get much more information in Premiere Pro, it says: "Insufficient media. This transition will contain repeated frames", which is an internal workaround to generate overlap media.

A video tutorial on the requirements for a transition, plus solutions as part of an update of the older video tutorial might help. It could be linked to from the error message, I don't think having a longer error message would explain things.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top