Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Effects comparable to Camtasia?

Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170896

• Richfilth
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
I've been using Lightworks for a few years now, to make basic Youtube tutorials and corporate training videos similar to our own Lightworks tutorial vids.

My company now wants something a big more impressive: corporate promo vids with all the effects and animations. Here's an example:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGuwbmBWkW4[/video]

As you can see, it's mostly about title effects rather than explosions and color correction.

My employer proposed Camtasia, since it offers all of that stuff out of the box, but I don't want to move away from Lightworks if I can help it. So my question is: can I do this stuff with Lightworks + user plugins (and if so, which ones?) Or would I need to buy an additional FX package like Boris Graffiti, or something similar?

I'm an e-trainer, not a graphics artist.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Richfilth. Reason: video link isn't working

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170914

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I have an older version of Camtasia. I can't imagine that the commercial above has been created with Camtasia. I don't believe that you'll find such sophisticated work of design in any kind of software as template out of the box just to fill in text and video.

I assume that you are searching for a software with a large amount of available templates for commercial use.

From what I see on the internet, I believe After Effects is the software you will find the most templates for when talking about text effects and intros, well designed they will cost money.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170946

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
It's not the effects in that corporate that are the feature, it's the design. All of what you see there could be done in Lightworks with the appropriate artwork. You could actually do it with the simplest of tools. However it wouldn't be simple and would require careful planning. It certainly wouldn't be something that you could just sit down and do with templates.

I must disagree with hugly about whether something similar could be done with Camtasia. It very definitely could. It could also be done with After Effects, Fusion, Nuke, or any of a variety of post production tools. But even if you do use Camtasia you will need good and careful design in advance to get the most out of it.

Just throwing effects at a production won't make it good. It may make it eye catching, but in ways that you don't want or need.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170967

• Richfilth
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

To be honest, the sample video isn't the one my firm shared with me, but I can't share the real one because it's plastered with our corporate logos.

Anyway, based on this:

"All of what you see there could be done in Lightworks with the appropriate artwork."

...the key thing is to be able to make more impressive text and transitions with the available toolset. If anyone can point me towards some tutorials on that using lightwork's FX to make some better-looking text fades (even if it's just sharing screenshots of the keyframe curves), it would be gratefully appreciated.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170970

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Did you see the video, etc. that jwrl posted about his new "Lower third 1" effect a week ago?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170998

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
This thread has given me an idea for a new category, schrauber. There may be more to follow.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #171028

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
OK, here's a little "taster" of what I've been working on. I have a collection of lower third toolkits which I use for creating my own custom lower thirds. They have the advantage of being single self-contained effects, with every component in them adjustable for position, size, colour and transparency. The only external components that are needed are a source of text and a background layer. Since I create all of my text files in Photoshop, that means that in my case V1 has the text graphic as a PNG file and V2 has the background. A single effect is applied to V1 and voila! There's an instant lower third. They are very efficient, which means that together with the complex multilayer backgrounds that you see here, they run quite comfortably in real time on a medium powered computer at 1920x1080.

The screen grabs that follow are of the two that I'm readying for posting here, toolkits A and B. They are the ones that meet 80+% of my lower third title needs, so I thought that they were a good place to start.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The top one was what I based my earlier effect, "Lower third 1" on. The lower one has the ability to use a fixed logo file to automatically add a logo - that's "Lucy" in the grab above. And just a reminder: as I said above, because these are toolkits, every component that you see in these including the logo file is adjustable for position, size, colour and transparency or visibility.

Unfortunately for users of version 14.0 and earlier an embedded logo file isn't possible, so there is a version of the effect that does without it. You can of course choose not to use the logo section in 14.1 too, which will give you the same result as you see below. Note that the right side colour has been set to transparent in this grab.

Finally here are two MP4s of a reworked version of "Lower third 1" which will be much simpler to use than Lower third 1 currently is. It will be called "Lower third A", because I suspect that I may end up making more of these than just 10!

This next lower third is also derived from toolkit A, but engineered to do something rather different.

Finally, this is based on toolkit B, and generates a classic lower third ribbon - with a difference.

Because I still have some work to do on these before I release them please consider these as examples of things to come. They should be up some time in the coming week.

[EDIT] By the way, getting the MP4s exported at a viewable resolution without looking like utter **** (self-moderated for bad language) was a serious challenge with RC9. I ended up exporting them as 1920x1080 DNxHD, opening them in Avid Media Composer and exporting as 640x360 H.264 from there. What a pain.

At least with Avid I could adjust the compression for best trade-off between sharpness and file size.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171251

• Richfilth
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
I just wanted to say thanks for the effort you've put in to this, it's greatly appreciated.

Something I'd like to reproduce is similar to this:

youtu.be/TcY58l8GPi4?t=5m26s

Yes, it's After Effects, so way outside the feature scope of Lightworks. But if you watch closely, he loads a pop up menu and selects an option (ease in) which automatically changes the curve on the Keyframes graph. It's those movement curves that form the basis for many modern effects, and they're reproduceable in Lightworks with little effort. So making a compilation gallery of those curves, and the effect they achieve, would be a really useful resource to have.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171259

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Just a side note: What you show now is a completely different thing from the commercial shown initially, that's titling basics.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171269

• Richfilth
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Sure, it's a basic effect, but it's still something that has to be built from scratch in Lightworks rather than selecting it from a menu in other packages. That was my whole point.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171271

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
I believe you'll be able to create this with Lightworks even faster than with AE, but others surely know better to explain then I do.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171272

• Richfilth
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Yes, I'm going to try it myself in the next few days and post the results. If it's successful I might start hunting down other AE-style tutorials and seeing how/if they can be adapted to Lightworks.

Tutorial creation is 90% part of my day job, so if it helps add a new breadth of features to Lightworks then its worth investigating.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171273

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
The effects engine of AE is entirely different from Lightworks. You cannot learn efficiently Lightworks watching AE tutorials. I'd suggest watching the official video tutorial below. It isn't specifically about Text effects, but it covers the basics. It shows the classic layout (now called Flexible layout) of an older version, but operations are basically the same.

You'll find other official video tutorials under Tutorials on top of this page.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171276

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
For what it's worth, the effects that I mentioned earlier are up now.

I abandoned the idea of using an embedded file for the logo in toolkit B because the mechanism available in 14.1 is not flexible enough for my purposes. It means an additional video layer if you need the logo support, but the plus is that the effect is now fully backward compatible.

Richfilth wrote:
it's a basic effect, but it's still something that has to be built from scratch in Lightworks rather than selecting it from a menu in other packages.

On thing that's probably worth mentioning at this stage: in Lightworks you can easily build your own custom templates by combining effects to achieve what you want and saving the whole group as a single package in their own category, subcategory and name. The big plus with doing that is that you can quickly develop your own unique look, and not have to rely on something that comes in a package.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Effects comparable to Camtasia? 6 months, 1 week ago #171279

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Richfilth wrote:
... So making a compilation gallery of those curves, and the effect they achieve, would be a really useful resource to have.

You can save an effect template. You can put this file in a zip-file and post it.
Examples:
Countdown generator
Timers and progress effects

But that is worthwhile only starting from a certain complexity of keyframing. The other question would be whether the template is of interest to other users.

Keyframing, which should be applied more universally to different effects, could be realized with the remote-controllable effects. (for example, keyframing to a beat). However, it makes the routing, etc. more complex.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top