Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Image overlay on interlaced footage

Re: Image overlay on interlaced footage 3 months, 1 week ago #169139

• andrixnet
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Another thing, not sure if directly/strictly related to the project create, project settings, or is it an effect related thing, but ...

- new project
- mixed
- import 1080i footage 00000.mts
- apply deinterlace effect from here: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=135923&Itemid=81
I chose "interpolate odd fields"

Although in the LWKS editing UI the footage seems to have been deinterlaced, the exported end result is still ... with rescaled interlaced artifacts, as if the effect had ... no effect.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Image overlay on interlaced footage 3 months, 1 week ago #169142

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I wrote that effect, and when I posted it I provided the following warning.

jwrl wrote:
It's designed to work only on interlaced media of the same resolution as the project, and to then export only at that resolution. If this is not the case severe "combing" can result which may be impossible to remove.

As a free user you cannot export 1080. Your 1080 media will be downscaled to 720 or lower on export, so the effect cannot function as designed. Because it's impossible for an effect to access the media before Lightworks processes it, there is no way that a deinterlace user effect can be produced that doesn't have that limitation.

A pro user has the option of creating a sequence containing the interlaced media, applying the effect then rendering it out. That rendered version could then be used in place of the original media, and would be able to be exported at any resolution that the user wished.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Image overlay on interlaced footage 3 months, 1 week ago #169151

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
andrixnet wrote:
So the final questions are:

1. does or does not LWKS deinterlace?

2. why project setting changes have no effect when changing between i and p?

3. what is wrong with the "mixed" type project? The setting refers to frame rate, right?
Am I to understand that "mixed" handles only pure progressive sources properly?

Thank you.

1. No, Lightworks does NOT de-interlace.

2. That's the way it is, it's by design. "Video.Output.Format" in project card settings influence only preview, not export. If that's what users would expect is another discussion.

3. There are some details wrong in mixed rates, in my view, but it handles interlaced and progressive footage as other projects (project families) do. Interlaced footage remains interlaced, progressive footage remains progressive. You can mix both without combing artifacts only when exporting to an interlaced format (Pro version only).

The severe combing artifacts visible in preview and in exported file of your first samples are caused by wrong import settings, progressive rather than interlaced. The result, the fields are combined in the wrong field order. That isn't how normally interlaced footage would look like when camera moves.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Image overlay on interlaced footage 3 months, 1 week ago #169152

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
To summarize all that: To get rid of the problems, de-interlace your interlaced footage with third party software prior to import or, live with the pseudo-de-interlacing caused by downscaling from 1080i to 720p..

.. and, check always for proper import settings.

Re: Image overlay on interlaced footage 3 months, 1 week ago #169204

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
andrixnet,

After checking different projects, import methods and formats this sentence isn't always true,. at least not for all interlaced files in MTS container:

it handles interlaced and progressive footage as other projects (project families) do. Interlaced footage remains interlaced, progressive footage remains progressive

There's someting wrong when importing your footage footage in 24 fps projects (mixed rates). I couldn't reproduce this behaviour with other interlaced MTS videos I have here.

I don't see the issue with your footage in 25 fps projects. Can you confirm that on your system?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds
Scroll To Top