Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167706

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Trident32 wrote:
Maybe the easiest thing for me to do is just delete both sections completely and then put the same segments back into the timeline.

Probably the best bet. What I suspect may have been happening is that there was an invisible gap in your timeline - either one too small to show up at the timeline scale that you're using, or a zero length cut in that edit. While Lightworks nowadays should pick up zero length cuts and remove them automatically, I have certainly encountered one with v14.0 - wasn't able to recreate it though.

In deleting either side of the cut you would have removed any such double edit. Another approach if you suspect that would be to right click on your timeline and under "Sequence Commands" select "Remove > Redundant cuts". The reason that I suggested the deletion technique is that it gives hard evidence of something being removed, whereas remove redundant cuts doesn't.

Fairly obviously the fix for the deletion would have been to trim your timeline to reinstate the missing media.

Still, all this is speculation - we'll never really know what the problem was.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167711

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Thank you all for your time and replies.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167715

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
No problem - pity we weren't of more help though.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167737

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Trident32 wrote:
Thank you all for your time and replies.

If you should have further trouble with the message about "insufficient overlapping material" please come back and ask. We are approved to be the best trimming assistants Lightworks can provide.

Have a nice day!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167740

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Thank you, Hugly, I'm sure it is something simple and if I sat down with one of you in person and saw exactly what you were talking about then it would finally click. I am a visual learner.

I will definitely come back if I need help. I have consulted this forum several times and I have always found the people and moderators to be very polite and helpful! Thanks again.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months, 1 week ago #211731

• Dominick44
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
Folks, this post is from two years ago and it points out two things.
#1)You folks are dedicated to helping users (thank you for that).
#2)The dissolve is such a common transition that this should never be a problem for the user to figure out.
Dropping a dissolve between two segments should consume whatever frames are required for the dissolve, make appropriate adjustments...and that's it.
You may not consider it a "bug" if you know the workaround, but two years later, shouldn't there be a way that works and is completely transparent to the user?
"From a distance, the Complex and the Random look the same"

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months, 1 week ago #211735

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
What would you suggest? I really don't want Lightworks to change the duration of any clip in my timeline because I haven't allowed for a dissolve. Nor do I want it to just apply the dissolve but change its length from what I have specified. I prefer to be in control of the editing process. As things stand, the decision to sort out my problem is currently up to me, not Lightworks. Anything else would be close to a deal breaker.
Last Edit: 9 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months ago #211738

• Dominick44
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 months ago
Dear jwrl, you are helpful as you are wise, and surely, I do not mean to offend.
I simply propose that Lightworks default to doing what the user must do in order to get a dissolve to work. If that means deleting some frames that will be used in the transition, it's what the user would have to do anyway. The novice user (like me) would accept this, and the sophisticated user, like you, would not rely on defaults anyway.
Let me put it another way.
Instead of a message which confuses new users, how about displaying the message followed by an option to deleted "X" frames from segment "Z" in order to accomplish the transition.
With due respect for an elegant tool, wouldn't this be better than the equivalent of "can't get there from here?"
AT he very least, how about a message that tells the user WHICH segment9s0 needs trimming and how much (min)? Of course, at that point a novice might wonder why not let the proposed changes be made with next click.
Anyway - these are just suggestions

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months ago #211739

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
Dominick44 wrote:
I do not mean to offend.

You didn't offend me, and I'm sorry if my reply came across that way.

Make your suggestion in the feature requests. You will get feedback there, and you will also attract the attention of the developers. It may be too late to get it into the current release cycle (i.e., 2020.1) but if others see merit in it could be added at some future time.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months ago #211741

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
Make your suggestion in the feature requests.
Absolutely!

Be sure that you will have broad and strong support.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months ago #211749

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
V14.5 does inform you which clip has insufficient frames, if you get a general message both clips have the issue . There has been discussion in the past on methods of indicating the frames that need to be deleted to create an overlap. Another feature request is the way to go.

However, the best method is for the user to be aware of the overlapping requirements for dissolves etc, because there maybe unwanted changes to your timings within the edit if you need to delete frames in the timeline.

Having Lightworks do this as an automatics default may limit the new user in the longer term because they don't take the time to learn what's happening during transitions and wonder why their edit keeps needing adjustments with more advanced edits.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 9 months ago #211778

• Dominick44
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 months ago
Thanks you all - submitter Feature Request.
Link [url=https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=211777&Itemid=81#211777]

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 1 month, 1 week ago #225425

• jcamm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
hugly, thank you! It worked for me. I didn't realize deleting would help.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 1 month, 1 week ago #225426

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Deleting just creates unused media, which is what is needed for an overlap.

All the solutions are listed here, plus how to avoid the issue in the first place.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 1 month, 1 week ago #225434

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I like the idea of the insufficient media message providing an option to "trim "X" frames needed from incoming/outgoing media" that can be executed with a yes response to the message.
I don't like the idea of Lightworks automatically doing the trim without a message as that takes creative control away from the editor.
What if there are critical frames in the overlap region that you don't want to lose to the effect? Maybe a cut or a shorter transition would be a more appropriate choice.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top