Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media

Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167667

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Ok, first allow me to say that I searched for an answer in the forum and already checked out these posts:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=advsearch&q=insufficient+overlapping+media+dissolve&exactname=1&searchdate=all&childforums=1&limit=20&Itemid=81

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81

I do not understand what the problem is. I know I have way more media on both sides of the cut than what the dissolve will need. As a matter of fact, I have been using 10 frames for the dissolve (5 frames before and after the cut point) throughout my video and they have worked on clips with less room than what I have here in this instance.

I even zoomed in on the cut point to make sure that there wasn't a small amount of blank space and there was nothing....the two clips were right up against each other.

Maybe I am missing something obvious to everyone else, but I am completely lost.

If it helps, I am running Lightworks 14.0.0.0 (93145) - April 3 2017
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167669

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
You use an effect with 2 inputs as a transition effect on a cut:
Transition effect are mix effects.
Mix effects mix two videos (or pictures, etc.).
This also applies if the effect is operated as a transition, with the particularity that in this case a single video track is sufficient.
But how does it work if there is only one video in the timeline at the respective position? ....

Hidden from the eyes of the users, Lightworks splits the timeline within the gray transition into two separate timelines. So that both videos overlap in the hidden timelins, Lightworks has to extend the end, and the beginning of both videos. For this Ligtworks takes additional material from the clips, subclips, etc.

But if I put all the video into the timeline before, there's no extra material Lightworks could use to create a hidden overlap. In these cases, Lightworks will issue an error message.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167672

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I'm sorry, but that means absolutely nothing to me and it doesn't explain how I can go about fixing this issue.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167675

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Have a look through this sticky, which covers the causes and offers solutions, so may assist you:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167676

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Yes, I already looked through that post but it didn't help me.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167677

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Have you deleted the 5 frames in both clips? Doing so should create enough excess media required to allow the ends to overlap each other sufficiently to allow the transition.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167681

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
As it writes @briandry.

And still avoid gaps.

A basic misunderstanding is probably:
It may surprise you, but the problem is not that you put too little Matierial into the timeline, but too much. The extra material for the transition does not get Lightworks from the material visible in the timeline, but always needs a little more material than is visible, no matter how much you insert. Lightworks need "unused" material to create a transition.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167685

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
One of my favorite movies with Bill Murray is Groundhog Day.

Think in film, in order to be able to see two pictures the same time - that's what a transition does, film must overlap, so does video.

This video is from briandry's sticky, in case you've missed it:

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by hugly.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167689

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
briandrys, deleting five frames on both sides removes video and audio I want in that spot. So, I should actually delete both clips and then put them back in the same spots but with extra space where the dissolve will be? That seems very strange, especially when I haven't had problems like that in other areas. This just seems like a lot of extra work to get the result I want.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Trident32.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167690

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Hugly, I understand that concept of overlapping film sections in relation to this, but I did this dissolve exactly the way I did about 30 - 35 dissolves in this project I'm working on and didn't have this problem before.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167691

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I understand. Unfortunately the message doesn't give any information about the missing frames.

Please try: Press P-key to delete exising marks, Jump to the cut using A and S keys, use <cursor-left> to move 5 frames to the left, press I-key to mark-in, use <cursor-right> to move 10 frames to the right left, press X-key to delete the marked section, press F8 to open transition panel, select dissolve, centered here, duration 10 frames.

What happens?

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167693

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Hugly, I have done exactly what you mention here and I get the warning message. This is the way I have done every dissolve previous to this one.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167696

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
I see, let's assume this is a bug.

I'd suggest installing most recent V14 beta, downloadable from Downloads on top of this page. If the problem persists, create a new thread in recent beta forums and attach an exported archive of the sequence which shows the issue without media (de-select all includes).

If it's a bug there might be a slight chance to get it fixed prior to V14.1 release.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167697

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Humour me on this: to test what is going on here, try the deletion process (yes, I know that we will initially be deleting footage that you want to keep - trust me*). For the purposes of the test just do that and apply the dissolve, then without doing anything else come back here and tell us what happened.

*And trust me: we will restore your media once we know what's going on.

AND ABOVE ALL ELSE!!! Please DON'T install the 14.1 beta, and DON'T assume that it's a bug. Work with what you've got and we will find out what's happening.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Dissolve - Insufficient Overlapping Media 2 years, 9 months ago #167704

• Trident32
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Okay, so out of curiosity, instead of clicking on the Effects button at the bottom of the timeline and then going to Dissolve, I just pressed F8 and selected Dissolve from there and I did get the same "insufficient overlapping media" error but there was new text saying it tried to correct the issue and it applied the Dissolve. Unfortunately, now I have an "echo" about one second after my voice ended in the video. Maybe the easiest thing for me to do is just delete both sections completely and then put the same segments back into the timeline.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top