Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #151688

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
jwrl wrote:
What you have achieved is to take over this debugging process while giving the illusion that others can help. How can they? It would be duplicated effort, because the problem is due to the differences between the Windows and Mac/Linux compilers.

So thank you very much. Another process hijacked by hugly.

Again, my intention was to help others. I was not aware that when the effects compile on one Linux system they will run on all other Linux systems and on OSX as well. Otherwise I wouldn't have planned to test on OSX which I stated multiple times above. At the beginning of this discussion I didn't even know how to delete effects effectively.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #151795

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
hugly wrote:
my intention was to help others.

I believe that if that was truly the case you would not find it necessary to dominate and over-ride others trying to do the same. That is something you consistently do, answering even if the problem has already been answered comprehensively. You even from time to time start a response with something along the lines of "I don't know what this is"! If you don't know, don't post.

Your haste to draw attention to the failings of others caused you to identify duplicates in the breakdowns that I posted – that's right, there were. The duplicates were identified and explained in documentation in those zip files which you obviously didn't bother to read. There were actually twenty-nine intentional duplicates because I had hoped to make these the basis of partial library zips posted in the "by categories" thread. You also created a needless duplicate library file that mirrored the current library zip file in all but two respects – first it was a rar compressed file, and second, it included four blur effects not yet published and which now probably won't be for quite some time. As outlined in my earlier post, that action over-rode the work that I had done, and can only have been done with the aim of preventing the sharing of the debug workload. No other reason that I can think of makes any sense whatsoever.

I believe that your approach has effectively driven away others who in the past were very active contributors here. I truly cannot make up my mind about your motives - whether you are what you say you are, or if Machiavelli would have had something to learn from you. I have spent the night thinking about this, and have decided that I will join those others. I've had enough, and won't be here for a time. I've decided that I no longer want or need to be part of the hugly forums for the immediate future. I have enough going on in my life without this.

So any bugs that you find in any of the effects files feel free to fix. If a 74 year old can teach himself the Cg programming language then surely you, as a self-professed Lightworks expert, will easily be able to learn it. And of course, being hugly, you will be able to write totally bug-free code from the start.

Viel Glück!

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #151824

• Wim
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
These feelings expressed by jwrl are perfectly understandable but at the same time a great loss for LW users. If one user, who repeatedly confirms the impression of having little empathic ability can achieve this, it will be time to think very seriously in the circle of moderators and Editshare how to stop him and say goodbye to this user. There is no need for a hugly forum, it is even very undesirable that this goes further. Therefore, jwrl's understandable decision is a signal that should be taken very seriously now to prevent further damage.

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #151827

• Matt Sandford
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
Gents,

I can see the frustration and annoyance and sometimes it can be misplaced from previous altercations and negativity can remain.

We and Lightworks users do not want to lose either of you in the Lightworks Forum. Both of you help and assist users constantly and I am sure they are more than grateful for the assistance you provide.

Please can we all take some deep breaths and remember that we all come here to help others. Sometimes that means we step on each others toes or maybe get involved when perhaps the issue is already being dealt with by another user. The overall urge to help others and see them succeed can overwhelm us at times.

I don’t doubt Hugly feels bad for upsetting jwrl and I am sure he does not want him to take the drastic action he has. It saddens me to see a long time Lightworks user and dedicated Forum moderator post something like this. I am sure we can find a way forward that means being able to work together, or at least understand when to help in threads and when not to.

Matt
Lightworks Product Manager

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #152118

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
jwrl -- Using Triple DVE, I'd like to have each of the four videos fade in rather than appearing instantly. However, see the video that shows that when I click V1 > Graphs, I get the notification that "This component has no keyframe parameters."

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04. Can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks.

~George
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #152195

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
First, there is no means of fading the effect on and off. It's an oversight on my part, and I will add the appropriate control to DVE3. However Lightworks is telling you exactly what is happening. You don't have any keyframes enabled, so there is no graphical information to display. Click on one of the stopwatch icons and the graph will appear.

A short-term work-around is to add a dissolve to the effect that you want to fade in or out. In fact it's what I would do, and the reason that I chose not to add the ability to change opacity to DVE3. However I can see reasons other than your needs to include it, so I will look at that with the next batch of updates - which will be massive.

It turns out that there are effects on Linux that compile but either don't work in the same way as the Windows versions, or in a few cases, don't work at all and never could have. They are all very early effects written in the time before cross-platform support was required. Those effects will also fail on Mac systems.

It may take me a few weeks to sort them out, but at the moment I have identified 14 with various degrees of problems. I've even found one very early effect that won't perform correctly on any of the platforms and apparently never has. That effect has been withdrawn and will be replaced in due course. The other 15 will have a note attached in both threads identifying the problem until such time as they can be fixed. The major problem is that most of these are "silent deaths" - they appear to compile correctly, but don't work as expected.

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #152198

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
@jwrl – Good to see you here. Thanks for the clear and comprehensive explanation. TripleDVE is a great effect even without fade capabilities. I don't really have any "needs," I'm just enjoying learning how to use the effects. And I’d be pleased to assist in testing effects on Linux whenever you get around to building or repairing them. Just tell me precisely what you would need.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #152199

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
Thank you for the offer.

One of the things that I have done while away is build a Ubuntu-based Linux box. At the moment I'm going through the effects and debugging them as I go - I have found and fixed 14 effects so far, with another few that I'm doubtful of. What's disappointing is that some of those effects go back a way and no-one has reported them in all that time.

I may ask you to verify that the "fixed" versions work as expected for you. I would very much appreciate a second set of eyes at that stage. It should only be a small group of effects in any case.

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #152200

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
@jwrl -- Happy and honored to oblige. Please let me know your precise requirements for testing and what feedback you want.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Bug in Triple DVE effect on Linux 1 year, 5 months ago #152201

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
Will do when we get closer to that point and I've worked out what they'll be!!!!
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top