Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links)

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 8 months ago #192385

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Good point!

Re: The future for Lightworks user effects 1 year, 3 months ago #201510

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
@ khaver

In the Betaforum Great White and I are currently talking about the advantages of your Big Blur effect. In a demo effect I used your code in a slightly varied form.
In my variation I have removed some setting for simplification, rescaled the blur radius relative to the frame dimensions (similar to jwrl`s Super Blur effect), etc.

My variation of your code is so far only for demonstration purposes fast and dirty programmed, and should be probably still optimized.

We would be happy if you join us in the discussion.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by schrauber. Reason: Translation corrected

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #209289

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
I have just split two threads off this: the first is User audio effects?. I have also split the colour banding topic into its own thread called, predictably, Color banding.
Last Edit: 10 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months, 1 week ago #211502

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
New for Lightworks versions after 14.5

Thanks for the new flags to be able to define in the effect code if the slider values should be displayed in percent.

I have added the information there: GitHub
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 9 months ago by schrauber. Reason: Remove warning

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months, 1 week ago #211504

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
Have you received advice from the developers that DisplayAsLiteral is a valid flag? That was a suggestion that I made after the announcement of DisplayAsPercentage. There was never any acknowledgement of it as far as I can see.

For anyone interested in the full discussion you will find it here.
Last Edit: 9 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months, 1 week ago #211505

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
I have just tested DisplayAsLiteral. It works, but it should currently be used with very great care. The setting of that flag can affect following effects in the timeline. For example if you follow it with a DVE, the percentage values in the DVE will become literal values as well. I wasn't able to do conclusive tests with DisplayAsPercentage but I suspect that it would be the same.

I have posted this report in the beta forums, under Windows build 118883.
Last Edit: 9 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months ago #211558

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
OK, a day later and no response from anyone: I think these references to the new flags should not be posted until they appear in a change log, and at the moment that doesn't appear to be the case. I have been through all change logs dating back to 14.6 build 114863 and cannot see any reference to those flags. Since they appear to be buggy at the moment I certainly don't believe that we should be posting them as new flags until such time as they are

1. Announced in a change log
  2. Pronounced stable

Feedback please, because I would prefer to take down the posts from #211502 on until we get official notification.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months ago #211562

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
Can you publish an archive of your test sequence in which you observed the issue?
Do the variables in the user effect have the same name as the variables of the parameters in the DVE effect?

Because these FLags were added before the first beta was released, I think this feature, which is only of interest to effects developers, can only be found in a Lightworks internal change log.

I've added a warning in my post, and on GitHub.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months ago #211564

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
jwrl wrote:
Have you received advice from the developers that DisplayAsLiteral is a valid flag? That was a suggestion that I made after the announcement of DisplayAsPercentage. There was never any acknowledgement of it as far as I can see.

See the short response from "Great White" to your request.

Great White wrote:
Fantastic! Both are good additions, but I have one further request: would it be possible also to have a flag "DisplayAsLiteral"?

Sure, I've added that for you.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months ago #211567

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
I missed the second page. You'll find a description of what I did and how I did it in the thread I started in the beta forums. It's simple enough that it shouldn't need posting.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months ago #211590

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
jwrl wrote:
.. For example if you follow it with a DVE, the percentage values in the DVE will become literal values as well. ..

Strange, I haven't been able to see this issue in my tests so far.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 9 months ago #211591

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
And I'm an idiot! I looked at the position and scale parameters and went no further. They are literal values anyway, and always have been.

What an idiot!

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 5 months, 1 week ago #218404

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I've just been revisiting the effects library, and I've removed two effects. The first is khaver's big blur, because it's now included in the standard Lightworks distribution, and the second is an S curve grading tool that I created some time back which has been largely rendered redundant by a newer, simpler version. Does anyone have any suggestions for effects that they have created that could also be removed?

Re: Documentation for developing Lightworks effects (Post # 1 contains summary links) 3 hours, 30 minutes ago #227433

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 hours, 30 minutes ago
In preparation for Lightworks 2021:

This allows certain user effects to access the original resolution.
Simply add this line of code in the effect header:
bool CanSize = true;

I tested it with my old zoom effect ..
int _LwksEffectInfo
<
   string EffectGroup = "GenericPixelShader";
   string Description = "zoom original-Test";  
   string Category    = "DVE"; 
   bool CanSize       = true;
> = 0;

and it works.

Provided that the effect is either the first effect in the routing, or that the effects before this also support original resolution.
How it affects the GPU load remains to be tested.

I can see that there are currently still restrictions if the original aspect ratio differs from the sequence / export aspect ratio, but that currently also seems to affect the original 2D-DVE effect.
Last Edit: 3 hours, 26 minutes ago by schrauber.
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top