Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED)

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #142141

• SerryUK
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
What has to happen in these clips for it to have enough media to overlap, i made a video using the exact same clips as this one. It doesn't make sense why you would have this function.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #142143

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

No matter which editor you use, you need overlapping media. If the clips are side by side and joined precisely at the ends of each clip there is nothing there to cross over the end of the clip beside it to superimpose into the dissolve.

Moviemaker may automatically delete the ends of clips to allow for a dissolve etc, but professional NLEs don't do that, the control is always in the hands of the editor. That's because there is more than one method of applying the correction.

The fast and dirty method for not enough media is to mark and park (in and out) either end of the dissolve, then delete using "x". This means that you've now enough extra media for an overlap.

This may help explain: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=85049&Itemid=81#87535

Fades work by using dissolve but setting it to either start or end at the beginning frame or ending frame respectively. The not enough media warning doesn't appear.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by briandrys.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #142945

• Tam_Troll
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Hey, i'm sorry that i always come here looking for tech support, but this is bugging me as well.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This is where i'm trying to place a dissolve, i'm just trying to get the video from the left to transition to the video on the right, there is plenty of space there, and i'm doing nothing different from what i did before the update to version 14.

What i did was mark "in" on video 1, somewhere maybe a second to half a second before the divide between the videos, then i parked "out" a second to half a second into the second video, and it created this "Dissolve" frame with an X in the middle of it, showing that it's transitioning from video 1, to video 2. i could make this transition longer, shorter, there were no problems in the previous version. but now i can't seem to make any kind of transition dissolve between video clips, all i get is "insufficient overlapping media" error message. i can put a "black to video" or "video to black" dissolve in the "effects" tab, but that doesn't help me very much if both video clips don't end in black.

The dissolve effect was fine in the previous version, why was it changed?
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Tam_Troll.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #142957

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
If you were creating it with insufficient media the dissolve wasn't "fine in the previous version".

Tam_Troll wrote:
i'm just trying to get the video from the left to transition to the video on the right, there is plenty of space there, and i'm doing nothing different from what i did before the update to version 14.

From what we see we don't know how much media is available for the dissolve at all. There may be insufficient or zero overlap - that's what usually triggers this message. Try this experiment: With the setup that you show, delete the media between the mark and park positions, then try adding your dissolve. Don't remove the media thus creating a gap, delete it.

This will obviously stuff up any timing that depends on the duration and position of your original cut so you will need to adjust things to correct it. However you'll get your dissolve, because you will have guaranteed that you have overlapping media.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143735

• Brotuulaan
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
SerryUK, I'm guessing you haven't used LW for very long (in which case, welcome!)?

LW is a powerful editor that brings a lot of value to the table, but it has a pretty steep learning curve and can be unforgiving at times. I remember making movies with WMM a number of years ago, and the way they solved the problem of overlapping media at the time was by moving the clip to fit the dissolve, which may then throw off other intentional timing and alignment.

WMM was designed for the average user rather than professional editors (or hobbyist editors, for that matter), which brings to the table a different level of quality, power, and mindset expectations.

If you plan on doing complex videos or a lot of even fairly simple videos, it may be worth your time to stick with LW and pour in the time and effort to learn the system. But if you don't plan on doing a lot of videos, complex videos, or don't mind the precision and power differences, certain other editors would certainly be preferable.

But that's something that this forum can help you figure out!
Primary computer - Dell Optiplex 3010:
Windows 10 x64, Intel Core i5-3470 @3.2GHz (4 cores), NVIDIA GT 430

Secondary computer - Custom Desktop:
WIndows 8.1 x64, ASUS P8z77-i Deluxe MoBo, Intel Core i7-3770k processor, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 RAM 16GB (2 x 8GB), ASUS GTX 670 GPU, Corsair AX 650 PSU

Peripherals:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Microsoft Sidewinder x6 keyboard, Logitech M500 mouse, ASUS VS229H-P monitor, Dell E207WFP monitor

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143736

• Brotuulaan
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for further clarification on here. I've found that two different users have explained the same process and I only understood one of them, which has led me to get a feel for who thinks/speaks in a similar fashion to me, so I know better how to ask questions to get what I need.

jwrl and briandrys are two very active, very knowledgeable people on this forum and can help you out with a LOT! But they may speak over your head from time to time (spoken from experience)!

WIndows 8.1 x64, ASUS P8z77-i Deluxe MoBo, Intel Core i7-3770k processor, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 RAM 16GB (2 x 8GB), ASUS GTX 670 GPU, Corsair AX 650 PSU

Peripherals:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Microsoft Sidewinder x6 keyboard, Logitech M500 mouse, ASUS VS229H-P monitor, Dell E207WFP monitor

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143739

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
I'm hoping that there will be some updated video tutorials, which will explain the new arrangements in an clearer manner to the visual learner.

Also, a V14 User Guide, which would go into more detail than the quick start one, the only V14 guide currently available that covers some of the changes.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by briandrys.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143743

• Brotuulaan
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
briandrys wrote:
I'm hoping that there will be some updated video tutorials, which will explain the new arrangements in an clearer manner to the visual learner.

Also, a V14 User Guide, which would go into more detail than the quick start one, the only V14 guide currently available that covers some of the changes.

+ALL THE ONES!!!

Peripherals:
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Brotuulaan.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143766

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Brotuulaan wrote:
jwrl and briandrys are two very active, very knowledgeable people on this forum and can help you out with a LOT! But they may speak over your head from time to time (spoken from experience)!

If I do go over your head, tell me. I'm used to simplifying things - I have a friend who always says "Fine. Now tell it to me in John and Betty language."

For those who don't get the "John and Betty" reference, it's an early reader one. "See John. See Betty. See John see Betty. See Spot. Spot is a dog. See John pat Spot. See Spot rip John's throat out." You get the idea.

Actually I don't think that last bit was in there. I could be wrong.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143844

• Brotuulaan
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
jwrl wrote:
If I do go over your head, tell me. I'm used to simplifying things - I have a friend who always says "Fine. Now tell it to me in John and Betty language."

For sure! I've worried a few times that I make people think they're beating a dead horse since I don't get a concept very quickly. Normally when that happens, there's just a *click* moment that hasn't happened, but once it does, I'm good to go.

Thanks for your patience as I've posted different things here!

jwrl wrote:
For those who don't get the "John and Betty" reference, it's an early reader one. "See John. See Betty. See John see Betty. See Spot. Spot is a dog. See John pat Spot. See Spot rip John's throat out." You get the idea.

Actually I don't think that last bit was in there. I could be wrong.

Heh heh! I wish I read the kids' books you did growing up!

Tam_Troll wrote:
This is where i'm trying to place a dissolve, i'm just trying to get the video from the left to transition to the video on the right, there is plenty of space there, and i'm doing nothing different from what i did before the update to version 14.

Here's something that may help you understand what's going on: When you add a dissolve between clips, the important issue is not that they be next to each other but that the first clip continues past the beginning of the second, and the second begins before the first ends. Here's what I mean:

The first two edits are your video tracks as they are aligned, just pulled apart. The third edit is how they should be aligned, still pulled apart.

1) The second video track must begin playing at the beginning of your fade (since you marked your fade points, that's how I presented it), and

2) The first video track must have enough material to continue playing to the end of your fade.

If one or both of these are not the case, LW sees that there will be some portion of the fade that has nothing TO fade, thus making the fade itself impossible to implement. You can't fade what doesn't exist.

I can't speak to the particulars of why 12.6 worked differently and why they changed it for 14, but I would imagine they're trying to make it more visual and precise for the editor.

Try jwrl's suggestion for removing the material between the marked points so that your tracks will have enough material to dissolve, and you should be good to go.

It will be helpful to remember in future that you need extra time before and after any visuals you want to highlight, so extra footage is ALWAYS your friend.

Peripherals:
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Brotuulaan.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 5 months ago #143884

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
I'll add one comment to Brotuulaan's excellent illustration: this is a concept that beginners often have trouble getting their heads around. Just think about it this way. Lightworks, when it creates an edit, doesn't change the media in any way. It simply creates an entry in a database that says "play shot 1 from frame A to frame B, then play shot 2 from frame C to frame D". There may be media available prior to frame A on shot 1 and after frame B. Similarly on shot 2 there could be media before C and after D. You don't see it when you play your edit, but it could be there.

If there is such media, you will have an overlap available at the cut between shot 1 and shot 2, as Brotuulaan has explained above. You will be able to add a dissolve or other transition at that point, at least up to the duration of the overlap.

If you have joined the very first frame of shot 2 to the very last frame of shot 1, there is no overlap. To create a dissolve Lightworks would have to be able to predict what the action would have been in both shots to cover the missing overlap. It can't.

After repeated questions from users along the lines of "why does my dissolve start to fade to black then cut to the second shot and fade up", the developers decided to prevent this from happening. The way that they have chosen to do it may not be to everyone's taste, but at least it has been done. Personally, I think that it's a useful addition to Lightworks, even if it isn't necessarily the way that I would have chosen to do it. There are some issues with its implementation, but this is the first try. It will doubtless undergo further development.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 4 months ago #147701

• gersoncorreia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 4 months ago #147702

• gersoncorreia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 3 months ago #148607

• Brotuulaan
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
I'm sorry, I only speak English--but welcome to the forum!

Peripherals:

Re: LW v14.0 -- "Insufficient Overlapping Media" Error Preventing Dissolve (SOLVED) 3 years, 2 months ago #150889

• qqdc
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
I've been following along this tutorial: youtu.be/tAJdZKa5Tnw?list=PLTau2hWDhFVZ7XTvhyWmLAPve9qf_CEkc&t=567

Having read this thread, I now see why I keep getting this annoying error message when I try to add my dissolve. But, how do I fix it, and why was it fine for him?
When I threw the clips on to the timeline, I dragged from a bin, with shift pressed, so they inserted, and exactly aligned.
Did he know in advance he would be doing dissolves, so overlapped the clips?

For fixing it, is there a single command to tell it to overlap my clips by the 15 frames I need?

In my case, the left clip ("A-Edit1-ClipB" in the screenshot) is longer than it needs to be, so I want to pull in the clip to the right by 15 frames. But I want it to also do the same on V1, so that the end of V1 and V2 stay aligned. What is the simplest way to do all that?

Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top