Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks User FX Manager v1.6

Lightworks User FX Manager v1.6 3 years, 7 months ago #135874

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
I've quickly created a little utility (Windows only) to manage user effects files in the Effect Templates folder.

When you first open it, it will parse the Templates.cache file looking for installed user effects. This is the list on the left. The list shows, alphabetically, the category>subcategory (v14 cache file), effect name and .fx file name.

The center list is all the user .fx files in the Effect Templates folder that have not been installed (not compiled). Each of these files is parsed to find the category>(subcategory) and effect name.

When you first open LWUserFX.exe, it looks for a folder in the Lightworks Public Documents location called UserFXStore. If it's not found it creates it. This is where you can store .fx files until you want to install them. The .fx files in here are also parsed to find the category>(subcategory) and effect name.

You can move uninstalled effects files to the UserFXStore folder by highlighting them in the Uninstalled User FX list and clicking the Right Arrow button. The .fx files will be moved and the lists will be updated. And alternatively, you can move .fx files from the UserFXStore folder to the Effect Templates folder by highlighting the files in the User FX Repository list and clicking the Left arrow button. You can also delete .fx files from the UserFXStore folder (confirmation will be asked).

Edit button has also been added.

GUI is resizable!

Note: if somehow you have .fx files duplicated in the Effect Templates folder and the UserFXStore folder, when you open the utility, the duplicate in the UserFXStore folder will be deleted, so beware of different effects with the same .fx file names. The ones in the Effect Templates folder will take precedence.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Questions, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

2017-02-28 - Added Edit & Delete buttons for .fx files in the Effect Templates folder

2017-03-01 - Version 0.3 in zip file. Added "New" button. Single clicking on the "Uninstalled User FX" label will open the "Effect Templates" folder. Single clicking the "User FX Repository" label will open the "UserFXStore" folder. Also a few cosmetic changes.

2017-03-02 - Version 0.4 in zip file. Added selection buttons

2017-03-03 - Version 0.5 in zip file. Lists can be resized separately. Files highlighted in list stay highlighted after actions.

2017-03-10 - Version 1.0 in zip file. Changed resizing logic (note: I haven't yet found out a way to stop the GUI flickering while resizing). Saves size, location & lists layout when closed (writes a cfg file in the UserFXStore folder).

2017-03-11 - Version 1.1 in zip file. List column widths are also saved.

2017-03-12 - Version 1.2 in zip file. Fixed a first time run bug.

2017-03-13 - Version 1.3 in zip file. When deleting, you have the option to permanently delete or send to the Recycle Bin.

2017-03-25 - Version 1.4 in zip file. New button pops up an input box to enter the new file name, effect name, category and subcategory. File opens with the header filled in. After entering text in the boxes, hitting the Enter key moves to the next box. Hitting Enter in the Subcategory box is the same as pressing the OK button.

2017-03-27 - Version 1.5 in zip file. Fixed a bug when header had a category and subcategory defined. Subcategory was also listed as the category.

2017-04-25 - Version 1.6 in zip file. More complete blank template file when creating a new effect. (thanks to user jwrl)

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

password: khaver
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by khaver.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135879

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
cool!
but got an error @ startup.
s
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135882

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
What's the path to your Effect Templates folder? And if you don't mind, could you attach your Templates.cache file?
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by khaver.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135883

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
nothing special, plain standard install
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates

cache attached
greets
s
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135884

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Okay, I found the problem. According to your cache file, you have no user effects installed. I will code a check for that and re-upload soon.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135886

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
New zip file in the first post with updated version.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135892

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Nice tool. I won't need to maintain my "clean" effects backup folder any more.

Just one small (very small) issue which may be beyond your control. Is it possible to allow for the window to be resized? I don't seem to be able to (in W10, anyway) and I have a lot of screen real estate available that would be handy to use given the number of variants of an effect that I may have at any one time.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135893

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
thx, works.
resize of course would be great, I remember that's not "out of the box" with A/It.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135894

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
I've never coded a resizable gui before, but I'll look into it. It's never too late to learn something new.

I'm adding an Edit button so the selected .fx file(s) will open in your default text editor (if you have .fx files registered to open with a text editor).

I'll upload it soon.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135896

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
khaver wrote:
I'm adding an Edit button so the selected .fx file(s) will open in your default text editor (if you have .fx files registered to open with a text editor).

That would be nice.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #135897

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
New version with Edit button has been uploaded.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #136024

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Thanks, a very interesting tool.

I noticed that some installed user effects are listed as uninstalled.
Also some .fxt effects are listed, and a nonexistent fx file name is listed for these effects (cc4.fx, dvd2.fx, dvd.fx).
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

These effects actually were .fxt files with a different name.
Maybe it's because I had these fx files installed for testing at short notice, these files came from the Lightworks program directory, and maybe partially caused a crash?

Example:
"F0036CY6.fxt","1 Blitz","","User","Colour-Martin-Takt","Lokal-temp-010","PixShader:Colour:cc4.fx","","1","1","1"
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #136027

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
schrauber, could you attach your Templates.cache file here so I could see what's going on.

On all my systems, all user effects and effects saved from the settings panel have a .fxt file created that starts with F003----.fxt. These are listed in the Templates.cache file. There's also a field that starts with "PixShader:" then the category and .fx file name. If the "Author" field contains your Windows username, this is an effect that was saved from the settings panel in Lightworks and is not determined to be an installed user effect. If the "Author" field contains your Windows computer name, it was compiled by the user using the "Create template from fx file" so is determined to be an installed user effect.

I would like to see what your Templates.cache file shows.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #136032

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
OK:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I see that I have some effect installed under another Windows user account. Can this cause one of the problems?

Also note that I have renamed a fxt file manually.
F00Timer.fxt (I was experimented with what Lightworks accepted.)
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks User FX Manager v0.1 3 years, 7 months ago #136033

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Do you see in the future also a possibility, with your program automatically to install and deindallieren (assumes Lightworks is closed)?
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top