Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Remaining past frames effect

Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120132

• aczekajski
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years ago
I don't know how to call an effect I'm looking for... the outcome I want to achieve is that every frame remains visible on the video for several upcoming frames. So frame number X is visible for example for 10 frames but with less and less alpha (for example on resulting frame X+8 it is visible only with 10% opacity). In other words, every frame consists of 10 previous frames, blended together in a way that the older the frame, the less visible it is.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120135

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Hello and welcome!

, every frame consists of 10 previous frames, blended together in a way that the older the frame, the less visible it is.

I'm not sure whether I understand what you're going to do. Do you mean 10 stacked freeze frames, each shifted 1 frame and blended together?

Can you provide a link to a sample video that shows this effect?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 years ago by hugly.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120138

• aczekajski
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years ago
I meant something like that:

youtu.be/PGgEIjk8MkU?t=2m50s

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120141

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Thank you for this video.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

This is called a motion blur.

Try this one provided by the incredible master of effects, jwrl:

www.lwks.com/media/kunena/attachments/6375/MotionBlur.zip

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120143

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Here you will find installation notes and other user provided FX effects.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=103446&Itemid=81#103417

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120145

• aczekajski
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years ago
I've looked already at this one and it's completely not what I'm looking for. I thought that it should be called motion blur... The effect from this link is a directional blur - it creates fixed blur and doesn't look at previous frames.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120146

• aczekajski
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years ago
For now, this is the only way I could've thought of, to achieve what I want. Every layer is shifted by 1 frame comparing to previous one and every has a blend with 50% opacity.

But what if I want 30 frames of this "ghost" visible? It sounds ridiculous to have 30 video layers...
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 4 years ago by aczekajski.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120148

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
To make that with stacked video layers doesn't make any sense. That's a typicall application for FX. For reasonable applications it has to be masked or vectorized also.

Have you checked the masked motion blur to be found above jwrl's motion blur also?

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120151

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
FWIW

This is a short tutorial of a software used for some promo on TV and cinema:

Caution, only for fat pursue.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120153

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years ago
I think I know what you're trying to achieve, and I've done it myself starting in the '60s and often since. None of the user effects will do what you need. Unfortunately because Lightworks effects are all shader driven there's absolutely no way to write an effect to do what you have to do. To do that you would need to be able to get at the Lightworks source code.

At the moment you would have to do a multilayer time shift as you've already found out. Since you're a pro user there is a way that you can break this down in to manageable chunks. For example, if you do a six layer shift, render that, then repeat that five times you'll quickly get the thirty that you need.

The trick is though, to work out the degree of blend reduction needed, so a little experimenting will be necessary. What I would try first is to make the six layer version, offsetting each layer by five frames and setting the mix levels to 100% - 83.33% - 66.67% - 50% - 33.33% - 16.67%. Render that, then time shift that version by a frame and use the blend settings 100% - 96.67% - 93.33% - 90% - 86.67%. And try a screen blend or similar if things start to look muddy.
Last Edit: 4 years ago by jwrl.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120157

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Hi jwrl,

please allow three questions.

I head a closer look to the video above produced with 3 video track in AE. Multiple instances of Ghosting are used (whatever they mean) to overlap frames, I guess. Isn't there a way to implement that as FX in LW without lots of video tracks, do you have only access to on frame at a time?

Does Fusion, Blender or Resolve support something like this?

I know a similar effect from photgraphs. A picture sequence layered with masks and selective blurring is used. If this isn't a traditional motion blur how would you call that?

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120159

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years ago
hugly wrote:
Isn't there a way to implement that as FX in LW without lots of video tracks

No.

hugly wrote:
do you have only access to on frame at a time?

Yes.

hugly wrote:
Does Fusion, Blender or Resolve support something like this?

I interpreted the OP to mean that he wanted to see trailing strobed action as much as a blur - if that's the case then no, they don't support that either without some form of offset layering.

hugly wrote:
I know a similar effect from photgraphs. A picture sequence layered with masks and selective blurring is used. If this isn't a traditional motion blur how would you call that?

I've done simulated motion blur using masked directional blurring. But that certainly doesn't make use of adjacent frames. I've also added simulated blur by interpolating pixels between adjacent frames, but that only works between frame pairs and not across 30 frames. It's the 30 frames that are the issue here, not the blur.
Last Edit: 4 years ago by jwrl.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120161

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Thank you for this valuable information.

My third question pointed frankly to a common known name of this effect. If there is none, lets call it "Echo Blur" "Ghost Blur" or so.

If I'll find something affordable beside AE on the internet I'll post it here.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120163

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years ago
Can't get much more affordable than Fusion! You could also do it that way using Blender's compositing and/or video editing tools.

Re: Remaining past frames effect 4 years ago #120165

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years ago
I see, I misunterstood your explanaition above concerning Fusion and Blender.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds
Scroll To Top