Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Desaturate shadows

Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104681

• MetNL
Is it possible to desaturate certain parts of the video based on luma value using Lightworks. Maybe a LUT that can do this?
I'm on a Linux system, and there aren't much free color grading apps for Ubuntu, so Baselight or Resolve aren't really an option (I don't have $999).

Greets from The Netherlands

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104688

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
I think there are some "film look" grading Fx included in the user FX bundle that might give you more granular grading options than the standard color correction tools. Nothing like the sat vs luma curve tools in Rsolve though that I can think of.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig
iPhone 12 Pro

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Up to 12TB of external media drives attached.
Shuttlepro2 Win10Pro 64bit LW 2020.1 release 64 bit

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104707

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
There's a challenge.

One can do quite a lot with an arrangement similar to the attached - perhaps not exactly what you're looking for - but quite a lot through manipulation of just about every slider - There are other possible LW tool combinations which might work.

Sorry just noticed the attached is de-saturating the highlights - too much playing - if I uncheck the 'invert' on the luma keyer it de-saturates the shadows.

Don't know if it will help but I've also attached an archive of the edit without media - not that there is any I've used - just LW colour bars.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104727

• MetNL
Thnx guys, you've been very helpfull. I'm going to test that example RWAV gave me, and check the user effects like David suggested. Maybe if I put it in Feature Requests, it might get added to the "selective color correction" FX.

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104773

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Would something like this meet your needs?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Attachments:

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104778

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Actually, a simpler way to do it would be to use the Video, Colour > Selective Correction tool. You might have to use more than one band to do it, but it's a native Lightworks effect. As such it benefits from a much clearer user interface than I could ever produce. Just drag the Hue and Saturation boundaries to cover the full range, then adjust the saturation to suit.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104781

• MetNL
Hmm, I've looked at the selective color correction tool before, never really noticed the luminance selector. I'm gonna test that one. Thnx for all the replies guys!

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104785

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
A tool that allows selective gamma correction by luminance range would be useful too. Seems like that was in one of the film look FX tools, but it has been a while since I've looked through the user FX stack in detail.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig
iPhone 12 Pro

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Up to 12TB of external media drives attached.
Shuttlepro2 Win10Pro 64bit LW 2020.1 release 64 bit

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104800

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
MetNL wrote:
I've looked at the selective color correction tool before, never really noticed the luminance selector.

Why do you think I went to the trouble of writing my own black and white desaturation tool? I've overlooked it too! In the past I've used RWAV's luma key approach.

Re: Desaturate shadows 5 years, 6 months ago #104813

• MetNL
I've tested RWAV's technique, but it didn't seem to work for me. The selective color correction approach on the other hand worked perfectly! I think this one is solved! Thanks y'all!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top