Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Title graphics?

Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #96963

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
I'm doing a demonstration video and I've been working for a few days on the title graphics. This stuff gives me a pain. Tell me what you think about this thing. Is the glitter over the top? Shouldn't the "and" fade? Is the timing as bad as I think it is? You can tell me, I can take it.

Lightworks, Graffiti, PanintShop Pro, Fusion. Voice over starts before the blend ends.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #96999

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Hi.

In my opinion it's more a basic thing. Do you really need fancy flying titles for a tutorial video? And yes, I think the glitter is a bit much. Next thing, don't use too many different fonts. One type for "Lightworks" and "Shuttle", and maybe another one for "Football" should be enough. As backdrop you might use a picture of a Screen on a desk showing the lightworks lobby, and a shuttle lying in front of it, of course in an otherwise more or less tidy (and dark) surrounding. Have a slow zoom in into the pic and then the writing appears one line after the other with a fade in duration of a half second maybe...

Another thing to take into account is the style of the video itself. Is it a serious tutorial with a step by step instruction, or will it be instructional comedy (in a positive way)?

But again, just my opinion and one way of many how to do it.
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Schloime.

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97008

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
I tend to agree - keep it simple make it strong, stay with with basic type reveals.

In case it's of any use see the attached shows the relevant corporate fonts - maybe they could be useful?

Be aware of title safe as you compose.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97019

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the honest comments and good advice. After a good cry, I've decided to start over from scratch.

That "football" thing is a train wreck. With the other two fonts, I am trying to mimic the brand fonts. I should probably stay away from official logo material.

One thing that bugs me right up front is the aliasing on the imported png's. Natron does a much better job of keeping the images clean than Fusion so I'll be using the Fusion text tool.

I'd like some punch in the graphics. How much is the question. For myself, I prefer conventional reveals. Perhaps a subtler application of motion/scale is called for.

There is an issue with the music, I've got quite a bit of time with no visual movement elements in place. Still considering that...

@ Schloime,

My work surface is not very photogenic. More like a junk yard.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97021

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
I am trying to mimic the brand fonts. I should probably stay away from official logo material.
You may have good reason to avoid trademarks - but if mimicking is part of the idea - in my screen grab ShuttlePRO is written in a font called Belgium - which may well be a shareware/freeware thing - a rework of an earlier font called Bimini (or was that the other way around?) certainly not a trademark as far as I can tell, just the product mane.

Is the Lightworks font proprietary - suspect not but there are quite a number of similar efforts out there - 'ethnocentric' comes to mind - a bit different but the same idea (I think).

I have nightmarish recollection of completing many an on-line conform on a bunch of commercials in a couple of hours, then spending the next four or five placing graphics and supers to an ad-agency level of irrelevant precision.

Bring back fond memories jwrl? I seem to recall you were in some of those session.

Anyway, if you have even a slight suspicion your title may not quite make the statement you intend - always trust your instinct.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97022

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
The premise behind the video is that Lightworks and ShuttlePRO used together is a good tool for professional football staff.

'Selling the combo' is thin line to walk. The consumer doesn't care what the product line is as long as their football stuff is awesome.

American football is a series of highly active and very intense events. Each event requires thorough analysis for success. (The reason I have been working on freeze frames and speed changes.)

I'd like the title graphics to reflect the feeling of the sport, appeal to the consumer, and suggest the combo as a valuable asset.

It's going up on YouTube.

The sum of all that leads me to push the edges of convention in the graphics presentation. I don't know. How much is ultimately the question.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97064

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
OK. Well personally I don't see why LW or Contour Design would find any complaint in that, nor why they would object to being brand-identified in any graphics.

Seems to me 'teamwork' is the analogy of the day.

Do you have access to top class football footage? If not, perhaps you can raid a historic game and take the 'if only they had LW/SP' from the losing side's perspective.

The following may be entirely contrary to what you plan and I know nothing about American (or any other) football - see it as just a bunch of thoughts to pick over or throw away as you wish - but first plot a story outline.

Seems to me aim for probably about 3 minutes at most. I understand the concept the user will want to use it for analysis of set-piece plays but all your piece has to do is suggest it's possible/easy not actually show a full analysis sequence, and yes you will have suggest one can slow, freeze and all of that.

I'd hear nothing that one does not hear at a big match. If there is to be music then it's match band music (or whatever), the rest is from the soundscape of the match. I suspect football aficionados would be pretty worked by a montage of sounds and sights of their game.

I'd suggest one might use only great stills/freezes which are brought to life and forensically inspected by the LW/SP 'team'

Don't shoot your computer screen at all - it's just plain old boring. Do screen recordings (you know all the traps)and then see mostly just details of those. No shot will be held for very long - do a rough cut of your story structure - then convert the LW screen material to separate higher-rez image sequences. Use image keys to do the best possible moves, zooms tilts, perspective changes, whatever (maybe).

Study all the SP 'offical' images - they've been shot to best portray the product. They would be the obligatory angles on which to shoot a bunch of actions on the device - come up with other angles of your own too.

As in the LW screen it's not a whole lot of static shots - it seems to me in both cases LW and SP the images should mimic the beloved game - if a player throws, catches, kicks, tackles or whatever - complement IF POSSIBLE that action with your LW/SP treatment.

That's enough of a ramble - all the best for whatever approach you take.

As a bit to light entertainment - here is an old rather technically dated NSW Rugby League promo - different objective but using key imagery to build an overall impression.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXIzp0ok24I[/video]
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97065

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
RWAV wrote:
I have nightmarish recollection of completing many an on-line conform on a bunch of commercials in a couple of hours, then spending the next four or five placing graphics and supers to an ad-agency level of irrelevant precision.

Bring back fond memories jwrl? I seem to recall you were in some of those session.

I don't think that "fond" is the word that you're looking for, RWAV!

I didn't reply yesterday, donkpow. I saw your post and meant to come back to you but got side tracked, and any comment that I would have made has now largely been said. However, I'll add a few things. If you want to create an animated title sequence rather than just a simple pop on/pop off title it's always worthwhile storyboarding it before you do a thing. The storyboard art can be as simple as you like, but it will help you to get timing and layout issues sorted out.

Next, lay out your finished graphic before you do anything else. That will head off any layout issues. To my taste there's too much air in the finished graphic as you've created it - it almost looks like you've seen the end result then thrown the stars in to try and fill out the frame a little. That would have been avoided if you'd started from where you wanted to end and built the sequence back to the start.

The next suggestion is to pay attention to the text kerning. Just in the first line the t-w pair could be improved, as could w-o and o-r. And the less said about the kerning of the Shuttle Pro line the better! Getting the kerning right can improve the look of things enormously. It can be very subtle, but it's important.

Finally, since you're planning several of these, develop a consistent style that you can use throughout the series. It may even be be worth your while developing a standard opener for each of the videos, in which just the title of the topic changes. Use the same (small) group of fonts, work within the same layout parameters, and maintain a consistent (limited) colour palette. Then your titles will sing.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97074

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
So we're all in agreement? "The presentation is junk." That's a relief.

I'll need to absorb from the comments made. I appreciate all who share perspective and expertise.

I'd like to make the video short but I doubt I can get it under 5 minutes. It could be defined as a demonstration video with promo tilt.

The videos are highlight reels from a high school football team. High schools have teenagers up to eighteen years of age. I've in mind to screen capture editing operations and demonstrate deployment. I've got a script but it isn't fleshed out, yet. The idea is to demonstrate speed and efficiency. (Now you know where the speed changes comes into play. )

I have the feeling I will be pushing the time limit. As the intro stands right now, it's 50 seconds until the voice over introduction starts. 32 seconds of play action, 13 seconds of the Lightworks browser as seen in the video, then the 5 seconds that the graphics use to come to maturity. So you're looking at something around 1:30 of intro.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97080

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
That long a title in a 5 minute piece would be like a 12 minute title sequence in an hour long program. I can see why you're concerned!

Is it possible to abbreviate the title or even meld it with the program content in some way? With these limitations, simpler is usually better.

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97081

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
jwrl wrote:
That long a title in a 5 minute piece would be like a 15 minute title sequence in an hour long program. I can see why you're concerned!

Is it possible to abbreviate the title or even meld it with the program content in some way? With these limitations, simpler is usually better.
Maybe. The music presents the 5 second opportunity when I use the play action up front. Frankly, this is where I fall apart being an amateur. I like what I made but it is probably not effective in the scheme of things. I am considering placing the title graphics over some part of the action. The player scores a goal --> as does Lightworks and Shuttlepro. The 32 seconds of play action needs to be presented in its entirety, if at all. I like to think it engages the audience and sets the tone for the piece. I presented that clip in my "Here I am" thread.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=67&id=96249&Itemid=81
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97082

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
I think that overlaying it over action is the way to go, but would it be possible to start it with a screen cap of the Lightworks desktop with a DVE overlay of the action set into the edit viewer which zooms up to fill the screen? It might be better to hold the action as a freeze until it hits full screen, too.

It might even be worthwhile cobbling together a version that included the Lightworks text from the lobby in the top left of the screen. Then add with Shuttle Pro as a write on or zoom or whatever underneath the Lightworks text. Zoom up your action, and punch Football! over the top, hold for a few seconds, then lose the text.

You should be able to do all the titling and effects in Lightworks. Anyway, just a few thoughts...

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97098

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
That is interesting. That like puts everything right out there. What an awesome idea. I'm going to give that some serious thought.

I have all but dismissed the idea of including "football" in the graphics. I had some ideas about it but every moment that passes makes it seem to be a step too far.

The music is currently well integrated with the action. I'll have to think about that. Maybe trim the video a bit. It's a whole different concept so I need to totally rethink everything in the intro.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97124

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
but every moment that passes makes it seem to be a step too far
Will not your opening images pretty well scream 'football'? Similar but different to -

- have been trying to understand what you're footage you might have and what you might need to do with it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Title graphics? 2 years, 10 months ago #97125

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
[quote="RWAV" post=97124]

- have been trying to understand what you're footage you might have and what you might need to do with it.
That's easy. I'm using footage from this YouTube channel. I downloaded all the videos. An important issue for me is the ability to use videos with unrestricted permissions. I don't want to negotiate limits, copyright issues, etc. I e-mailed the boss over there and he trusts me. It's High School footage so anything to help the kids.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC7a_9Pzc_tKX1ZE_FxnXTyg/videos

The next issue is what I am trying to produce with Lightworks. The piece is not an entertainment video, exclusively. I'm trying to demonstrate capabilities to professional staff of the sport. You can look through YouTube with a "football analysis" and see arrows, lines, freeze frames, slow motion, ... all in an effort to represent an analysis in video. Here is one video I found that is presented by coaching staff. It's off a TV show. It's a teaching video but it does show some requirements. I won't be demonstrating in such small detail but I hope to show the possibilities.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by donkpow.
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds
Scroll To Top