Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Short Quad Split Music Video

Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94490

• raeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
I suppose better lighting would have given better picture quality, but I kind of like the way the lighting looked. I also had to crop some junk out of the shots. Oh well, I was in a hurry, writing the bass part in my head in front of the camera. All the video shot and audio recorded and the audio mixed yesterday. Did the video editing today. The audio/video sync could have been better, but I didn't have time to devote to it, and I think it is passable as is. Wish I had more time to practice that Xaphoon, but I refuse to autotune. You get what you get. The purpose of the video was to highlight the Xaphoon and the Venezuelan cuatro, both extremely badly intonated instruments. There is no mechanism to tune the Xaphoon at all, and there is no way to adjust the action or intonation on the cuatro. I guess I like to challenge myself.

Re: Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94494

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
That's sounds alright. Your output levels are too high, IMO. Here's a loudness meter that helps you comply with various standards.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=8&id=93990&Itemid=81

You had another showcase video, didn't you? The one for a friend?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94495

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Personally - I like it a lot.

To me it's it's devoutly anti-cool, perhaps a little under art-intellectualised to be up there with the best. Had I been your project producer I would have had you look at a tranche of Disfarmer photographs until your eyes popped out of your head and then asked you to build your image persona from that starting point.

Nonetheless a good piece of work - your anxiety about technicalities is a a waste of good breath - it matters not at all in context.

Well done.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94496

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
RWAV wrote:

To me it's it's devoutly anti-cool, perhaps a little under art-intellectualised to be up there with the best. Had I been your project producer I would have had you look at a tranche of Disfarmer photographs until your eyes popped out of your head and then asked you to build your image persona from that starting point.

Nonetheless a good piece of work - your anxiety about technicalities is a a waste of good breath - it matters not at all in context.

Well done.
You may want to check the dosage on your medications.

If I remember the other video correctly, I was critical of of the performance. This one hits the mark on that score. It's all very personal and the drummer is a real clown.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94511

• raeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
donkpow wrote:
That's sounds alright. Your output levels are too high, IMO. Here's a loudness meter that helps you comply with various standards.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=8&id=93990&Itemid=81

You had another showcase video, didn't you? The one for a friend?

Levels: Well, my thinking is to maximize the signal to noise ratio, without compromising dynamics. I use some compression just to get nice even sounds, but no brick-wall limiting. I do try to make my peaks as hot as possible without clipping. In digital audio, I see no reason not to do that. You can always turn your volume down.

Another showcase: I once did a similar video to "Theme from NY NY", but it was only bass, guitar, and drum. It was only the accompaniment so people could play their own lead with it, sort of instrument karaoke.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by raeditor.

Re: Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94512

• raeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
RWAV wrote:

Well done.

Thanks.

I prefer, "uber-cool", or "hep"
My wife would certainly agree with you. I definitely march to my own drummer.

The only real anxiety I have is over the three high notes that are definitely off. The rest I was just mentioning here because this forum is a lot about the technicalities of a production, and I welcome any comments on mine.

Re: Short Quad Split Music Video 3 years, 4 months ago #94513

• raeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
donkpow wrote:
RWAV wrote:

Well done.
You may want to check the dosage on your medications.

If I remember the other video correctly, I was critical of of the performance. This one hits the mark on that score. It's all very personal and the drummer is a real clown.

Thanks for the comments.

The other video was definitely 'less personal'. I made an effort to make this one a little lighter, more personal. When you don't know a tune real well, you have to concentrate on the music and so 'stage presence' can be a bit stiff. The drummer has the simplest part, just stirring the soup, so he can relax and interact a bit more. The bass player was grooving a bit too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top