Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Short Film made with Lightworks, Generous Volunteers and a Pretend Coffin

Short Film made with Lightworks, Generous Volunteers and a Pretend Coffin 2 years, 8 months ago #93969

• Catboxman
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Hello all, I'm really proud of the short film I made in Lightworks.
I don't know if there's a home-made coffin forum but if so I think I'll post it on there as well.

Its also entered into a competition if you'd like to vote for it here;
www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/1212

It'd mean the world to me if you did
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Catboxman.

Re: Short Film made with Lightworks, Generous Volunteers and a Pretend Coffin 2 years, 8 months ago #93973

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
I voted, even though I had to register with Rode.

Would you like to share the details of the production?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Short Film made with Lightworks, Generous Volunteers and a Pretend Coffin 2 years, 8 months ago #93975

• Catboxman
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank you so much donkpow!

I'm not sure what to say in terms of details - we made a behind the scenes video because Rode asked us to;

but I'm not sure how helpful it really is.

We filmed the entire thing on one Canon DSLR, I'll stick the lens we used in this bracket (Canon ef -s 18-135mm 3.5-5.6) once I ask my friend what its specs were, I forget at the moment. This limited us to mid-range shots sadly but we made do.

Some of the audio was captured on a Rode mic pro on the top with a dead-cat to keep the wind noise down but I ended up scrapping most of that because the road nearby varied in noise too much. Luckily we had a lavmic which we hooked up to my iPhone and stuck in back pockets, which mananged to catch most the audio clearly enough and at a decent level, but I had to manually balance the dialogue levels out on the one stereo track, which was clumsy but worked. Then I added some ambient noise underneath again which we'd captured accidently - the whole shoot was over the course of a day and was really hectic, we were forgetting shots left right and center - which I think shows in the final product.
Some of the sound effects we made ourselves - banging and flapping etc into the rodemic pro hooked up to my iPhone againn - but I ended up resorting to some freesound.org screams to tie it together, I need to link to them properly in the description now I'm not under the threat of deadline.

I think the most interesting thing about the production was the Cineskates (cinetics.com/cineskates/ link for the curious) we used for the pan in the first long shot - sadly we didnt end up using them again really, we had the camera attached to the skates on top of some spare wood from the coffin which I had on my lap in a wheelchair. This let me use the controls on the camera for focusing while panning it. I stayed in the wheelchair for the 'Dolly Zoom' shot but the ground and the wheelchair didn't really make matters easier so the shot used was the best of a very bad bunch.

It was a case of big ideas and little time/experience but I'm really happy that it turned out as well as it did.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Catboxman. Reason: spelling mistake

Re: Short Film made with Lightworks, Generous Volunteers and a Pretend Coffin 2 years, 8 months ago #93980

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank you.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds