Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How is my 1st video?

How is my 1st video? 3 years, 3 months ago #92644

• david.holmes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
Hi,

I recently finished my first video using Lightworks!

Its on YouTube, link is here:

I am now making a 2nd video for my employer and would appreciate any feedback/comments from the 1st video I made to make it look more professional or generally improve the editing.

Thanks.

David

I have moved this thread from the "Editing" forum to the "Community showcase" forum. It's the most appropriate place for it in my opinion - jwrl.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: How is my 1st video? 3 years, 3 months ago #92665

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
Do you mean to have 3 different formats?

Is there audio or am I missing it?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: How is my 1st video? 3 years, 3 months ago #92671

• PaulKerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
I hear no audio, either, Don.

Do you want some, David?
If you let me have a script, I'll do you a voice-over and if you have music to go with it, I can do a complete mix and master and provide layback audio which you can drop straight into LW.
(I can provide some examples of previous voice-overs I've recorded if you so desire. My voice is British English and has been described as "BBC" English by many who hear my work)

Paul..

Re: How is my 1st video? 3 years, 3 months ago #92676

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
In general I find the image quality quite decent.
Assuming you left the audio on purpose try at least to add a track with royalty free music (search the internet for it, there's lots of free stuff as well).

Use the waveform of the video analysis tool to ensure you preserve the same levels for brightness and contrast during the whole film. E.g. the scene from 12 to 20 seconds definitely has less contrast than most of the other footage (while at least the scenes before and after have a good contrast for my taste).

And try to prevent different resolutions respectively frames, e.g. at 50 seconds the image gets cut respectively smaller which is never good, especially not at a "promotional" video
The further clips even vary in resolution

Make sure you either use source material with the same resolution, or scale respectively crop individual clips to get them all to the same size if quality (default resolution) allows it.
Both scaling and cropping can be achieved with the DVE effect

Hope this helps.
Lwks x64 14.5 RC1 (pro license), on Windows 10 1709
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by timzett.

Re: How is my 1st video? 3 years, 3 months ago #92699

• david.holmes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
Hi,

Thanks for comments!

Audio was purposely deleted as was just banging and sound of lorries moving around. I will have a look for suitable music for next video.

In regards the resolutions, the footage was filmed at different sites using different cameras, hence differences in resolutions. I do have some footage which is 30f/s but I cannot figure a way to use this in the editor. The footage I have used in the youtube video is all 25f/s. Is there a way to convert this?

Thanks.

Re: How is my 1st video? 3 years, 3 months ago #92904

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
From what I read in another thread is that you can mix footage with different frame rates by using the 24 fps setting when creating a new project.
If all your footage has the same frame rate (e.g. 30 fps) the "Auto" setting should do it well for you.

Frame rate conversion though is a science of itself. I had some success with MediaCoder (which is difficult to use because of its many settings), another people claimed EyeFrame to achieve that.
If you ever need to convert footage with variable frames, e.g. from mobile phones, Handbrake is one of the free tools which does the trick (possibly it might even convert fix-framed footage to another frame rate, I never tried that).
Lwks x64 14.5 RC1 (pro license), on Windows 10 1709
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by timzett.

Re: How is my 1st video? 3 years, 2 months ago #93080

• zikade
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
Different framerates and/or -sizes are my personal ingredients for nightmares before the editing starts. I use Adobe Media Encoder for that, which delivers pretty good results if you know how and what to tweak but you'll have to have a CC subscription to use it. On the other hand, you do get PhotoShop & After Effects as well.

Now for the critic - for my personal taste it has too many dissolves, especially the one where they move the stuff. Slows the pace down too much for my taste. I do try to avoid having an insert which describes in writing what I'm seeing my talents are doing, but that depends on what's the audience supposed to be.

Having said that: if your client is happy, so be it. Its always easy to sit in the backseat row and comment
There are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who can't...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top