Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Green Screen Music Vid

Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 10 months ago #91718

• raeditor
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Please watch my two minute video. I welcome any feedback about any aspect of it, and would really like to hear what you think.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhqMtWV2cA[/video]

I went from vague concept to published video in about 4 hours of one-man production. I think that is reasonable considering I had to do many takes, install new version of Lightworks, create a green screen and figure out how to use it. Yes, the video isn't the greatest, but it is good enough for what I wanted and I was in a hurry and had a horrible green screen. Here is a shot showing the green screen:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Notice the wavy wrinkly poorly lit screen with plenty of shadows on it. My original shot even went beyond the screen, I had to crop. Probably made about every mistake possible. Nevertheless, with a little experimental button-pushing I was able to produce a decent effect. This was my first experiment with green screen. Yay Lightworks!

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 10 months ago #91748

• evolutionist
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
well, i have to admit that is pretty decent, considering the screen! i have no experience with green screens, aside "fake" green background added to still images, and i'm very impressed by the results..i guess it's not too hard to fix the problems..thanks for sharing an example of green screen use!

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91765

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
There is still a tinge of green on the performer. That can be dealt with. I don't know what the intent of the video is so I'll just talk through my hat. One thing I always had trouble with as a performer was I was always quite reserved in my behaviour. Teachers, show managers, everybody told me to work to be more appealing to the audience. At least to communicate more of the music in my actions. Sure, it's a technical thing to perform but the audience wants more than to close their eyes and listen.

Just plug that into your "for what it's worth" file.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91772

• raeditor
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
donkpow wrote:
There is still a tinge of green on the performer. That can be dealt with. I don't know what the intent of the video is so I'll just talk through my hat. One thing I always had trouble with as a performer was I was always quite reserved in my behaviour. Teachers, show managers, everybody told me to work to be more appealing to the audience. At least to communicate more of the music in my actions. Sure, it's a technical thing to perform but the audience wants more than to close their eyes and listen.

Just plug that into your "for what it's worth" file.

Thanks, that's very helpful. The "intent" was mostly simple entertainment, hopefully to get a smile from some people. My friend "Aaron" that I mention had a heart attack last week and is a big Ellington fan. I was also hoping to get some musicians to critique my playing.
RE: "Performer behavior" - Yes, my wife is always telling me to smile more. I will work on that in the future.
RE: "green on the performer" - I think I see what you're talking about, mostly on the left side of the face. So, I'm assuming that is caused by being too close to the green screen, and catching green reflected light from it. I think that may also explain why the top edge of the guitar neck got 'shaved off' in parts. I'm guessing that would be best fixed by moving the green screen further back? Are there other ways to deal with it?

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91775

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
I don't work with green screen nor am I a professional. I believe the remnants of green are called "spill". Perhaps others can help with the technical details of improving the effect.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91778

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
There are several quick guidelines for green- and blue-screen work:

1. Put the green screen back as far as possible from the artists as you can.
2. Stretch it as smooth as you're able to.
3. Light the green screen as flat as you possibly can but don't over light.
4. Make sure that any light hitting the screen is the same colour temperature.
5. For green screens avoid using LED lighting unless it is flat spectrum.

Point 1 will help minimise spill. You will still get some, caused by both coloured light bounce from the screen and subject reflection of the screen colour. This will be much easier to control than if you're backed up against the screen.

If you need to make use of shadows in your matting, point 1 obviously can't apply. Point 2 most definitely will in that case.

Point 3 is important. Over lighting will desaturate the screen colour, while increasing the amount of unwanted colour in the shadow areas. Lighting that isn't flat will require trade-offs in the keying process, and can make what should be a simple process quite hard.

Point 4 is something that is easily overlooked. I know a gaffer who uses fluoros to light blue and green screen and tungsten and/or LEDs for lighting the subject. But he is careful to ensure that the subject lighting and screen lighting don't impinge. If you mix colour temperatures you can have yellow and/or cyan patches on your green, making getting a good matte more of a challenge.

Point 5 is becoming quite problematic nowadays. "White" LED lights typically have a gap in their spectrum in the green region. I'm currently on a special effects project with a lot of green screen work. The green was lit with LED studio lighting. It has photographed cyan, even though to the eye it appeared green on set.

This would not be so bad, but one of the actors had wardrobe with significant amounts of cyan in it. In fact her leggings photographed almost the same colour as the green screen, even though the cyan of her leggings on set appeared to the eye to be almost blue. When you spend a week rotoscoping a running woman in a shot that should have taken maybe half an hour to do you quickly become bored, let me tell you.

That's all that immediately occurs to me. I hope some of that helps.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91784

• raeditor
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
jwrl wrote:
There are several quick guidelines for green- and blue-screen work:

1. Put the green screen back as far as possible from the artists as you can.
2. Stretch it as smooth as you're able to.
3. Light the green screen as flat as you possibly can but don't over light.
4. Make sure that any light hitting the screen is the same colour temperature.
5. For green screens avoid using LED lighting unless it is flat spectrum.

Point 1 will help minimise spill. You will still get some, caused by both coloured light bounce from the screen and subject reflection of the screen colour. This will be much easier to control than if you're backed up against the screen.

If you need to make use of shadows in your matting, point 1 obviously can't apply. Point 2 most definitely will in that case.

Point 3 is important. Over lighting will desaturate the screen colour, while increasing the amount of unwanted colour in the shadow areas. Lighting that isn't flat will require trade-offs in the keying process, and can make what should be a simple process quite hard.

Point 4 is something that is easily overlooked. I know a gaffer who uses fluoros to light blue and green screen and tungsten and/or LEDs for lighting the subject. But he is careful to ensure that the subject lighting and screen lighting don't impinge. If you mix colour temperatures you can have yellow and/or cyan patches on your green, making getting a good matte more of a challenge.

Point 5 is becoming quite problematic nowadays. "White" LED lights typically have a gap in their spectrum in the green region. I'm currently on a special effects project with a lot of green screen work. The green was lit with LED studio lighting. It has photographed cyan, even though to the eye it appeared green on set.

This would not be so bad, but one of the actors had wardrobe with significant amounts of cyan in it. In fact her leggings photographed almost the same colour as the green screen, even though the cyan of her leggings on set appeared to the eye to be almost blue. When you spend a week rotoscoping a running woman in a shot that should have taken maybe half an hour to do you quickly become bored, let me tell you.

That's all that immediately occurs to me. I hope some of that helps.

That is some awesome information. Thanks a lot. I'm confident I can do a lot to improve the flatness of my screen. But I'm a little concerned about lighting. Any suggestions for micro-budget lighting?

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91787

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91788

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
PS.
as it is a locked topic (www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=85049&Itemid=81#91782)
when does that make sense?
enable/disable all tracks is a shortcut in lwks.
s
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91789

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
raeditor wrote:
That is some awesome information. Thanks a lot. I'm confident I can do a lot to improve the flatness of my screen. But I'm a little concerned about lighting. Any suggestions for micro-budget lighting?

Tungsten Halogen Worklights can be a low budget solution, using two lights. with one on either side, will assist with even lighting with small lighting units.

Ideally keep the talent clear of the green screen, without them casting shadows onto the screen. If possible light the screen separately .
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91790

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Since you are using a green sheet, you could probably wash it and iron out the wrinkles. Maybe store the sheet on a roll. PVC pipe or something like that.

I like the idea of using album art in the background while performing a cover version of a song. It's probably illegal (copyright infringement) but at least it pays respect to the original artist.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91792

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Something that goes hand in hand with the chromakey is a garbage matte. It removes things from the image that are not within the limits of the chromakey's parameters. In this case, if the background had been lighter, shadows from the sheet could have created unwanted effect. The garbage matte could be used to remove the shadows or more accurately, portions of the sheet that included shadows.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91806

• raeditor
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
donkpow wrote:

I like the idea of using album art in the background while performing a cover version of a song. It's probably illegal (copyright infringement) but at least it pays respect to the original artist.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the details. At least I am not pirating recordings, I only post my own recordings. I also don't make, and have no intention of making, a penny from any of this. If that ever changed, I would certainly make sure everything was 100% legal.

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91807

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, I don't believe it's a problem in the US. Unless you make a few million dollars or get it wrong.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Green Screen Music Vid 2 years, 9 months ago #91817

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
First, I'm glad that you found my comments helpful, raeditor. As lghtwrks has pointed out, I've also included them in my intermittently maintained tutorial thread.

lghtwrks wrote:
PS.
as it is a locked topic (www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=85049&Itemid=81#91782)
when does that make sense?
enable/disable all tracks is a shortcut in lwks.
s

This is about two macros that I wrote because I needed to be able to do that in another much more complex macro. As such it is well off this topic. If you want to continue that discussion you will find the feedback thread here. Please don't hijack this thread.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.80 seconds
Scroll To Top