Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software.

Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88691

• twilkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Hiya folks. So, a few weeks ago an admin and some very helpful members gave me some step by step tips to assist me in completing my very first project on LWKS

Here is the very first video I completed. We are doing one a week now. Feels so much more *pro* then our past video product.

Note: Since this vid I have given her tips on softening that bright glare from stage left.

Let me know what you think.

~Tatyanna
Creatrix
Egeria Consulting
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.”
― Anaïs Nin
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by twilkinson.

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88714

• avoloreloxop
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Even though this video is plain simple in setup, I have the experience it's usually best to start with something really simple and advance from there on, especially with something like Lightworks which has a slightly steep learning curve.

May I ask what kind of video product you were using before Lightworks?
Mainboard: AsusTek M5A97 R2.0
Chipset: AMD 970 (RX980) + SB920/SB950
Processor: AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core Processor @ 3,8 Ghz
Memory: 2x4GB ICIDU PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM Non-ECC at 677 Mhz
Videocard: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 with 2048 MB DDR5 SDRAM
SoundCard: Roland DUO-CAPTURE EX

Kernel-version: 3.13.0-43 (x86_64)

OS disk: 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO PRO 256GB at SATA 6GB/s
Data/video disk: Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (1000GB)

Lightworks version 12.0

Monitor: BenQ G2410HD

Camera's:
Canon EOS 60D
JVC GY-DV5000E

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88717

• twilkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Due to budget constraints, just things like Moviemaker and Wondershare. I had also tried 3 or 4 online only editors. I am a web designer, VA and transformational trainer. Editing vid is not my main gig.

As you said, our vids are simple. However, this is a new level/world of editing software for me. We just started using video for her business. However, by the time her book trailer comes along I may be able to do much fancier things.

I'm really just focusing at getting good at one or two ways to do the simple tasks in lwks in order to get these weekly videos out without too much time being drained.

I'm enjoying dabbling and look forward to deepening my knowledge in using LWKS. I am also looking forward to my client getting an external microphone and some other recording tools to improve quality. hah!
― Anaïs Nin

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88720

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Intro music is too loud. Check your meters in the mixer panel.

Arrange it so you can edit out the part where she turns on/off the camera. Give pause. Even if she clasps hand in the embracing manner or welcomes with an open gesture, don't let the viewer know that it is a video.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88741

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
I may have been too abrupt in my comments last night. I apologize if I have given offense. I know you worked very hard in the title sequence. When I clicked on the video to watch it, I had to reset the levels on my system. That's not unusual for videos on YouTube. There is no normalization in broadcast. Then, when the subject starts to talk, I had to reset my levels again. I didn't have the opportunity to feel the title sequence.

You may want to shift your relationship with ther client, adding something more like a director's role. Assist your client in producing a more professional type video. One thing that bothers me is the subject is putting out contradictory signals. Her body language suggests she would like to engage in a somewhat intimate conversation but she never looks me in the eye. If she is trying to use cue cards, she needs to learn her lines. I'm not saying she needs to put me under a spotlight gaze, but I'm not feeling the thing when she doesn't look at me. I know, there's like a rule where you don't want to look at the camera. That's not for this type of thing, that's for when you make a movie. This is more like instructional video. I am reminded of Julia Child when thinking about this type of thing. She would chat with you the whole time she was preparing the food. Then she would totally halt the process, look you straight in the eye, and give you a good talk. Maybe have your client look at the food channel or something like that for a style of presentation.

I'm guessing you weren't involved in the filming. I agree you want to be zoomed in for that intimate feel but you don't want to chop off the top of their head. Tell your client to zoom out a little. If you need to zoom in a little, you can do that with the DVE effect. Not too much, though. When you zoom in with the DVE, the video tends to look granular.

By comparison of other videos on YouTube, this looks very good. The important thing is with a slightly larger perspective, you will be achieving excellence.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88764

• twilkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Good day donkpow,

I didn't take offense to what you said. However, I have dited 4 vids and my client has taped 6 since this first video, so I was attempting to clarify and epress that we learned from this and have adjusted.

I am a virtual assistant which in my case means social media manager, communication director and project manager, designer...and many more for this client. I *direct* her for sure. She is no longer cutting off her head.

I will take your tips into consideration regarding the eye contact. She is NOT reading. She is an expert and is free wheeling it. Although I have told her she seems to be looking below the camera.

This is the 3rd video, the most recent that I have placed online:

My hope is that wihtin the next 6 weeks she will get a video setup that allows for a better product all around.

Have a great day!

~Tatyanna
― Anaïs Nin

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #88771

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Thanks Tatyanna,
I've been looking into making some videos like these for my sister. She just 'rebranded' and we were talking last night about getting that identification across in her videos. If she ever gets her act together.

I took some time to watch the second video in your series. That one looks better to me. You are lucky your client is personable by nature. Still, there are skills that need to be applied by the talent in front of the camera. Assuming no serious technical distractions, it is what matters most. I recall Gary Burghoff of the TV series "MASH". He was born with an obvious defect in one of his hands yet it was rarely apparent in any of his scenes. That demonstrates an awareness by the actor of how he presented himself to the camera. Not staying in frame is a sloppy mistake.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89520

• jabbapop
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Very interesting video. Very "taut" for a blog style video. I know donkpow called you out for not having the performer look into the camera, but I can understand the aesthetic/style that's "accomplished" in this video. The subject is not a grandiose/mythic celebrity... she is not the corporeal embodiment of our sublimated ids, but rather, a fellow traveler upon this trodden planet with whom we trek. She is perhaps a guide, but not a demi-god... and thus, to gaze into her eyes would be a breach akin to stalking... What am I saying? Simply, your video raise an interesting point about subject/audience.

Niggles?: The youtube popups and the lower-left corner watermark. The geometry of them is HARSH. To me they crop up as intrusions, as opposed to the organic supplements I take it you were going for. These aren't things I'm skilled with at perfecting, however, so I wouldn't know how to help. Only that, in general, as a viewer, exegetic information is acceptable to me when it is minimal. The information you present (recipes) are the whole shebang. I know it might change your format, but it might help to present these things as they are, ie, actual objects. A cut and pan across the chocolate balls, or a close up of the sandalwood. I don't picture any viewer pausing to write down the recipe from the youtube footnote, so you might as well provide them with something that is in the moment poignant.

Another thing that bothered me was the asymmetry. The left of the frame was filled with objects, whereas the right escapes into a texture. I can understand this in the sense that the right side of the screen is meant to be "blank space" on which to project the information, but that portion, as stated previously, is a little too hectic and raw to successfully to earn the screen space.

I really liked the end card. The play with motion background/static foreground (and visa-versa!) always engages a viewer. I think the intro could have benefited from more of non-transitional motion.

good luck! keep meddling around! In re the captions, it might be helpful to come up with a "template" in your image manipulation program of choice and insert each card as an image key.
My art is my heart, and it beats and bleeds with the life I live.
www.youtube.com/jabbapop

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89521

• twilkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Hi Jabbapop,

Thanks so much for your compliments and the constructive feedback. Your first paragraph was very poetic and esoteric. heh

I will take your suggestions, as a viewer, into consideration as we develop more videos. I really appreciate the ideas about having actual items and less notes. She wanted captions along teh bottom but I protested.

We will find the right balance and format. This feedback from everyone helps a great deal.

~Tatyanna
― Anaïs Nin

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89542

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Well, I'm impressed. I have no interest in essential oils but the third video in the series kept me glued to the screen for the entire 3 minutes 39 seconds! The talent is very good at what she does, especially when she leans just that little bit closer to me. I really should watch it again and listen to what she says this time...
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89547

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
You know, I'm giving this one a tough road but it is one of the best of its kind I have seen. Lighting needs to be improved. Ambient light only is causing problems on the subject. Can't you get some subdued lighting on her face?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89554

• doomsday
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
The videos are looking quite nice. I do agree with donkpow on the subject of lighting, however. It seems sort of harsh with only the ambient light source. There are numerous sites devoted to lighting on the internet. I would suggest looking up some info on three point lighting, it would soften things up and give a more intimate feel. The only other nit-picky point I have to give would be to raise the camera a few inches. The subject seems to be looking down along the line of her nose quite often in order to make eye contact with the camera. Again this would bring a more intimate feel and avoid any perceived "looking down upon" by the viewer.

Other than that, good job, it's looking great. The more you play with Lightworks the more fun it is to edit, and you'll find editing options opening to you that you never imagined possible.

Have a lovely Day.
Asus X99 Deluxe MB, Intel Core i7 5930K 3.50 GHz cpu, Dual SLI EVGA GTX970s, 32Gb Crucial ddr4 mem, Kingston 450/450 SSD main drive,Second SSD Working drive, Windows 10

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89601

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
I've taken the liberty of demonstrating perspective correction (the door frame is now vertical) within Lightworks. Tilt the image with 3D DVE and scale with DVE. You can do better, this is just quick and dirty.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89679

• twilkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
You should have seen the video before I told her to cover the window with a gauzy material. The light was blowing out the image.

She is out buying a small mic today recommended by an vid blogger. The lighting will take soem time to get right.
― Anaïs Nin

Re: Sensual Living. Finally Sharing. Love this software. 3 years, 8 months ago #89680

• twilkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Interesting. It's a fireplace.
― Anaïs Nin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top