Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Action cam footage filtered and compared.

Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 5 months ago #86063

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Recent purchase, a Sony Action Cam. I've been looking at the footage to see what I can do to soften it.
Source:
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

The scene is an early winter day, overcast, hand held camera facing south (in the northern hemisphere) into the obscured sun. Motion stabilization is on in the camera.

I've been trying to knock back some of the sharpness of the fast action type encode from the camera. The one I settled on is a slight blur to the luma with ffmpeg's "shape adaptive blur". Brdloush's lens correction effect is applied within Lightworks. The one thing I can't find a solution for is removal of the purple fringe out of the cheap lens. I can do it but it would encompass batch processing each frame through a graphics editor. Not going to happen.

P.S. Export from Lightworks via the YouTube preset.

Also there is a little problem with the final dissolve. I didn't feel like sorting it out.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86724

I have the same issue with the purple fringe but I just found this article that discusses it (blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html).

I was just recently filming a hooded merganser and a wood duck in the afternoon low angle light and it cast a very bright purple/magenta line just like the example in the link. I can't seem to figure out how to remove or reduce it in Lightworks. I'm running the 12.0.3b beta.

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86725

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Khaver created an effect, available for download in the effects section of the forum, to deal with purple fringe. You might want to try that on your footage. I made some additional footage last week that has one segment with a serious problem. I've been so busy this week, I haven't had time to deal with it.
Thanks for the link.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86820

Thanks for pointing those out! Is the effect you are referring to "chromatic aberration"? I have been playing around with it but I cant seem to get it to work in my situation. My problem is that the fringe is really bright and coming off of the ducks head and beak. The EF helps in some spots but not right where I need it to.

If you come up with a solution or if anyone else does it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86821

Here is an example of the issue. Look at the wood duck on the bottom right. I am hoping there is a fix for this. I am starting to think that I just need to shoot some more footage and skip this clip.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86828

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Yeah, that's the effect I was talking about. I couldn't get it to improve my footage, either. It actually made mine worse. There are techniques outlined on the internet. The ones that I have read involve the use of a graphics program to do the work. Something like that involves taking an image sequence and running batch processing on the sequence. Considering the number of types of problems, the job could be quite tedious and time consuming.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86878

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
donkpow wrote:
I've been trying to knock back some of the sharpness of the fast action type encode from the camera.

I really don't understand the question. Perhaps I'm missing something but the big issue I see with nearly all 'actioncam' footage on TV and I'm talking about broadcast quality professional productions that should know better, is shutter speed. (Not the BBC Top Gear programme or Mythbusters either, they have it sorted!)

Usually, the shutter speed is set far too high as a result of laziness or ignorance. The next time I see an aeroplane propeller blade float mystically out of shot like a Boomerang, I'll throw something at the set!

Of course CMOS 'rolling shutter' has a lot to do with it but if you fit an ND filter over your lens and set your shutter speed to 180 degrees (eg: 1/50th for 25FPS, etc) so you'll benefit from motion blur 'in camera' without needing to resort to time consuming post production.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, RAID SSD, RAID HDD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 12.5 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9000B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86893

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
The plethora of action cameras on the market are basically pin hole cameras with a mini-computer behind them. Point and shoot with something no bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

There are problems inherent in the capture using these types of inexpensive cameras. Looking at the videos posted on the internet, the problems are quite pronounced. I've got a bunch of other shots in different conditions that I am looking at to see what I can do to make 'improvements'. I have also been putting together a vibration damping mount for use on a bicycle. The first attempt was a failure and without the addition of a lanyard, I would have lost the camera.

If you've got a professional camera that can be used in such a situation, you probably know what to do to extract some good footage. The camera I am using is a Sony HDR-AS20.

Edit: The video submitted as an example is a cat video. That's the only path to success on the internet.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86920

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Yes, gorgeous cat. I live with three and even my wife's name is Kitty so maybe that's four?

Are you saying the cheap actioncams don't have a shutter speed adjustment?
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86921

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Craig Marshall wrote:
Are you saying the cheap actioncams don't have a shutter speed adjustment?

Yes, that is correct. There are no controls on the camera. With this one, you can select the format and frame rate and that is all. The only control on the camera is the on/off button.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86922

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
OK, that's good to know as I have a shoot coming up where I may need to go and buy a few of these, rather than commit my main cameras to potentially dangerous surroundings. Maybe that's why people use the more expensive GoPros?

PS: I'll bet there's a 'clone' of the GoPro camera at half the price already!
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86925

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Indeed, clones are everywhere. I liked the Sony line for the color and built in software motion stabilization. I have a problem of fogging of the lens with the waterproof housing. There are more mounting options for the GoPro cameras, since it is the market leader. Contour is another front runner brand in the market. Mobius is a brand I looked at pretty hard. A lot of people choose that brand in hazardous locations since it is a consistently cheaper camera, by comparison.

I'll see if I can get a histogram tonight to show you what the video looks like in full sun.

I got this camera because I have a couple of projects planned for this year. We are looking at consumer grade camcorders for capture so I need to become familiar with AVC encoding and the tools for manipulating the files.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86929

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
All Good. I've usually found cheap cameras let you down in the lens department but if you haven't already, download the latest ClipToolz Convert as Wayne has released it as freeware now and it has all the tools you want to convert 'toy' consumer files into full broadcast ProRes or DNxHD, MP4 etc including my favouite, the Timecode Tool which allows me to 're-stripe' timecode on files where it has become corrupted or currently exists only as 00:00:00:00.

PS: The new 'scopes' display is nearly as good as the one in Resolve!
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86959

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
I apologize for not getting this material up as promised. This is the footage I am looking at this week. AVC/mp4, 720p, 29.97 fps, motion stabilization on.The sun is low in the winter sky, giving bright sun on the right side of the street and heavy shade on the left. You'll probably want to overlook the poor quality of image in the immediate foreground. My experiment on vibration damping actually added more motion to the camera. One thing is the lens distortion. I spent several days learning to correct the issue but when it came time to apply changes, I discovered that motion stabilization interfered with precise correction. There is heavy bias on blue and red, depending on the scene. You can see purple fringe quite clearly in the trees and there is banding in the sky.

Anyway, here are the scopes from ffmpeg and Lightworks with the image. All 3 in the .zip file for full resolution.

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Action cam footage filtered and compared. 3 years, 4 months ago #86998

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
I took a close look at your big screen grab. I upscaled it to 1080, converted it to a tiff and imported it into Resolve, then viewed it at 10bit on a 55" 4K TV. There's not a lot you can do when the camera's recording bit rate is so low. The mandatory super wide angle lens common on actioncams causes the optical distortion which you can live with because that's what you get with POV cameras but apart from some noise reduction, colour correction and transcoding prior to edit, any further manipulation is probably just going to degrade the picture more.

For example, my camera records 8 bit 4:2:0 AVCHD internally at a bitrate of 28Mbps and the pictures look OK so long as there's no fine moving detail like leaves blowing in the wind. BUT take the uncompressed 4:2:2 HDMI output and feed it to a cheap 10bit ProRes recorder like the Ninja 'Star' with a bitrate of nearly 200Mbps and the result is like looking through a window.
HDvideo4K.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top