Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Teaser trailer for my first short film...

Teaser trailer for my first short film... 3 years, 5 months ago #84112

• Dan Huppert
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
A husband, grieving the loss of his wife in a cycling accident, struggles to find purpose and maintain his sanity.

She Rides The Ghostbike is an upcoming short film that I wrote, directed, shot, produced, etc etc..., starring Kenneth Robert Marlo, Tamara Windt, and Christopher Lee Mannix.

Athought it is a work in process, I would absolutely appreciate any comments/criticism. I'm editing this completely with Lightworks Pro.

Re: Teaser trailer for my first short film... 3 years, 5 months ago #84967

• Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Hi Dan,

This is a cracking trailer and does exactly what a good trailer should do, make you want to see the finished feature. Good use of music to create the mood as well. Really well paced and intriguing.

My only criticism would be that I didn't have enough time to read the title text that appears at 0:17 the top and bottom line disappear too quickly to read. A good rule of thumb is allow 3 words to be read a second. It may be due to the timing of the piece or just a tweak needed to how the title fades out?

Looking forward to seeing the finished short! And don't forget to send it off for competitions etc.

EDIT: just watched the "When life gives you lemons (on the set)" Brilliant, just brilliant! Still smiling as I write this.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Cookiecutter.

Re: Teaser trailer for my first short film... 3 years, 5 months ago #84976

• Dan Huppert
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Wow, thank you for the compliments. I appreciate you taking the time to give it a look!

As far as the text at 0:17, I was a bit limited due to the pacing of the music. But, I was going for that effect regardless. The text that fades is identical to the earlier block of text. I wanted it to fade, then reveal that the stat (provided by the NY State Department of Motor Vehicles) was for NYC by itself. Basically I was trying to go for an eye-opening reveal for added gravitas.

I have full intentions on submitting for competitions.

Oh, and about that other video... yeah, we had fun with that. I had so many calls, I think it was 8 different countries. The usable ones are in the opening sequence of the film, which is a daydream the husband is having. He imagines what his wife last saw before dying. Point of view bicycle riding footage, and the voicemails are there for exposition.

Re: Teaser trailer for my first short film... 3 years, 5 months ago #84977

• Dan Huppert
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Forgot to mention, about the music... I had the composer purposfully incorporate the vocal melody of Queen's Bicycle Race (I want to ride my bicycle!) in the piano arrangement.

It's the little things.

Re: Teaser trailer for my first short film... 3 years, 5 months ago #84993

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 5 months ago
Nice work, Dan. I can do no more than echo what Cookiecutter said, except that I got the second title perfectly without first reading your justification. It's something that I could see myself doing with a title.

I also loved the "Queen" quote at the end of the trailer. Good luck. I hope the finished film goes gangbusters.

Re: Teaser trailer for my first short film... 3 years, 4 months ago #85226

• Dan Huppert
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Much appreciated!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds
Scroll To Top