• Page:

TOPIC: Norway - Trailer

Norway - Trailer 4 years, 1 month ago #78952

• Josely
  • Edu User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years, 1 month ago

Comments always welcome.
Core i7-2670(QM) 2.2 GHz, 8.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB, 500GB 7200, Windows 7 64 bit, LW 12.0 x64
Last Edit: 4 years, 1 month ago by Josely. Reason: fixed video link

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years, 1 month ago #78978

• VividHood
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
Very nice!

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years, 1 month ago #78995

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
Very nice indeed.

Any details? Camera? VFX? Anything else?

Just a personal issue - how much delay do you have between pic start and music? Currently it feels just a little rushed to me. If it were me I would be inclined to either hold on the opening graphic for maybe two and a half to three seconds, slow fade to black, hold for a beat, then hard cut to first vision in sync with the music start. Possibly also a little wind noise under the title would be a nice addition too.

But as it stands it's very nice, as I said earlier.

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years ago #79013

• Josely
  • Edu User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Thanks!

Some more details: The scenes are taken on the Lofoten islands, Norway, this summer, and I plan to make a ~20-30 minutes short film out of it.

Camera: Panasonic HDC-SDT750, most scenes shot in 1920x1080x59.94i with a flat profile. Process pipeline (for which I have written a python script which I also want to release) includes:

• Gunnar Thalin's deshaker
  • QTGMC for deinterlacing
  • full frame blending for timelapse - I used that technique in my short "Timeless" and found it to work quite well
  • LSFmod for sharpening

Of course all settings are per-clip, which - believe me - takes ages for ~250 video files.

Generally the video is pulled down to 29.97p (I have noticed that blending in this case looks quite awful, so I just skip frames) and then transcoded to prores HD.

Then edited in LW 12. I've only used colour correction - usually pulling down the blacks a bit and desaturating the scenes to give them an even look - and blending as effects in there.

@jwrl: thanks! Yes, it does feel a little rushed. I took inspiration from Tom Lowe's amazing "Timescapes" video:
vimeo.com/16369165
Maybe putting the title up front would have been a better idea? I'll listen to your advice for the actual film, thanks!

Best,
Josely

PS: as a side note - the ocean waves were filmed during the night, which to me shows what an amazing camera the SDT750 is in low light conditions. I only wish you could shoot with 30p, not only 60i/p - and 24p doesn't allow the flat profile.
Core i7-2670(QM) 2.2 GHz, 8.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB, 500GB 7200, Windows 7 64 bit, LW 12.0 x64

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years ago #79015

• RonHos
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Great intro, thanks for the viewing.
I am an expat Oz and now live in Norway (not Lofoten) and there is much of this landscape around the country. But I hasten to add that the sun does shine and often for very long hours

mvh Ron
RonH

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years ago #79031

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years ago
Spooky, isn't it!? My house here in Sydney OZ was built in 1911 as the Norwegian consular office/residence (and Danish/Swedish too for a little while - but that's long forgotten politics). One Olav Eduard Pauss being the Consul General.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 4 years ago by RWAV.

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years ago #79036

• RonHos
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years ago
Spooky indeed!
Olav Eduard Pauss was a well known figure in the shipping business and now our Australian Honorary Consul is non other than Wilhelm Wilhelmsen of shipping fame. Our little group of Oz here have met with him at his very impressive offices near Oslo.

Apologies Josely for butting into your thread but the world is getting so small.
CYa Ron
RonH

Re: Norway - Trailer 4 years ago #79057

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years ago
Apologies Josely for butting into your thread
Yes indeed, but it was his nice Norway trailer that uncovered these coincidental Norway connections.
All the best for the documentary version Josely.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Norway - Trailer 3 years, 2 months ago #97133

• Petermpa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
"Spooky, isn't it!? My house here in Sydney OZ was built in 1911 as the Norwegian consular office/residence (and Danish/Swedish too for a little while - but that's long forgotten politics). One Olav Eduard Pauss being the Consul General."

That's interesting indeed.

A picture of the former former consular office would be really great for the Wikipedia article:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olav_Eduard_Pauss
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top