Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question

Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43517

• jjsgt84
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Id like some feedback on my color correction here. The original footage was pretty warm, so the color correction on the skin tone was a little tough for me. I think maybe it needed a touch in the pink direction to be more natural? What do you think? I definitely missed focus a bit, its kind of soft.

Also a question: Is there any way to add a mask to the area around her face and brighten ONLY that area with keyframes to move with the face?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by jjsgt84.

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43530

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

For your first question I have no answer. Looks different on every screen... But if you know how to use the vectorscope in LW, you could judge the skintone by yourself. There is a replacement picture somewhere here in the forum which adds a skinline to the vectorscope. If you don't know about vectorscopes, learn it, it is an extremely useful tool (same with all the other scopes).
But if I had to answer, I would say that there is too much blue. Looks like you changed the color of her hair and the couch quite a bit in trying to correct her face. Did you try the selective color correction?
Second question: In the userFX thread here in the forum there is a "mask" effect with a chooseable number of cornerpoints. These masks should be able to be keyframed, so yes, it should be possible (and I say "should" because I don't have LW in front of me right now).

Hope I could help so far.
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43540

• jjsgt84
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Youre right, after staring at it for so long when adjusting it I didnt realize how far Id gone in some areas. Thanks for the feedback!

About the mask, I havent had a chance to try it yet, but I wonder if its an "invisible" mask or if it actually puts a big black box on your video?

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43542

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
If you use the mask on only one videotrack, you get the black hole. But actually it really cuts a hole in your video, so if you have another track underneath, it will show through.
So for a masked colorcorrection add a mask, keyframe it to stay on the face, and have the same video on both tracks. So you can correct as much as you want in one track, and frame it with the other track. The borders of the mask can be feathered to hide the transition a bit. You should also use selective color correction.
This is only a workaround. LW has no trackers to automatically keep track of the face.
I guess you heard, but there is a free version of DaVinci Resolve out there, a high-end color grading software, which has all you need: Trackers, masks, unbelievable control over color. Downside is, it needs at least 12 GB of memory.
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43548

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
@Schloime: I don't think that you need to duplicate your video into 2 tracks. That seems unnecessary and performance-unwise to me..

What you can do instead is "forking" your V1 into 2 streams. One stream will be the original unchanged video, the other one will be the video with CC applied. Finally you just use Masked blend to join them together. Note: you need to check "Show mask" in Poly effect.

Here's a screenshot:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43549

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
brdloush, you should just be able to feed the CC route and the source fork directly into the Poly12 effect and not even use the Masked Blend effect (fewer effects means better performance).
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43555

• jjsgt84
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
There is some great info here, thank you all for your input. Ill check out DaVinci Resolve, I have 16Gb RAM so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again!

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43560

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
@brdloush: Good point, I definitely have to learn about nodes and routing. Besides some threads here, is there any tut or helpfile out there about routing?

@jjsgt84: There are quite a few threads about DaVinci interacting with LW here, too. And DV is definitely a software where you need to read the manual (which is also in their download section). But when you get into it, it is fascinating.

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43579

• 3rdHalf
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
First of all, your corrected video has that blue-ish hipster look, that is frequent problem when someone is trying to correct already quite saturated and colorful footage.

How to prevent it?
When you are shooting(I assume you'r using DSLR) try to use very flat color profile.
For Canon, try Technicolor Profile.
For Nikon, create flat custom color profile.

More info abuot flat color and technicolor here: CineStyle for Better Images
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by 3rdHalf.

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43618

• jjsgt84
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
3rdHalf wrote:
First of all, your corrected video has that blue-ish hipster look, that is frequent problem when someone is trying to correct already quite saturated and colorful footage.

How to prevent it?
When you are shooting(I assume you'r using DSLR) try to use very flat color profile.
For Canon, try Technicolor Profile.
For Nikon, create flat custom color profile.

More info abuot flat color and technicolor here: CineStyle for Better Images

I actually shot this with the Similaar Flaat_10p PS. This is a little better for shadow/midtone noise and skin tones than Cinestyle, I think. Even still, the original footage was fairly saturated, so I should have tones that down some. I actually was going for a little of the Sweeney Todd bluish look. I obviously need much more practice though!
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by jjsgt84.

Re: Need feedback on my color correction, + a question 5 years, 6 months ago #43619

• 3rdHalf
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
One thing, I forgot to mention: When shooting jpeg, or video- one of the most important things is proper white balance. I usually carry around an old greycard in my bag, that helps me to set custom white balance.
When you get the colors right in camera - you will be able to get that Sweeney Todd look without the bluish tint.

BTW: Your edited video was actually quite good.
keep up the good work!
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by 3rdHalf.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top