Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First serious effort.

First serious effort. 5 years, 3 months ago #39964

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
It is a promo piece for an online art gallery. All movement effects are with lwks tools, mostly image key. No color correction or anything like that. Conversion for upload with EyeFrame Converter at the default setting. The sound track is established before I start work. I did have to shorten one of the musical selections to fit the video content.

Artists submit a photo of their work for presentation. I try to make sure each submission is treated equitably. The structure is kind of awkward and I still have a heavy hand on the timing.

"Inspired by Music"

I also did a lower res copy for YouTube with the same video. 854x480. I am not happy with the quality there.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by donkpow. Reason: change res for display ???

Re: First serious effort. 5 years, 3 months ago #40415

• MGagnon
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Good job. This is nice and well balanced between art and music.
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by MGagnon.

Re: First serious effort. 5 years, 3 months ago #40416

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Thank you. I do need to hone my skills, though. I've got around 30 of these to do in the next year, half of which will be constructed in Lightworks.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: First serious effort. 5 years, 3 months ago #40485

• figmo124
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
I liked it! Thanks for posting.
Robert
Mesa AZ USA
-
LW Free v14 with Contour Shuttle Pro v2
Dell Inspiron 660, Windows 10, 64 bit
i3-2120 processor 3.30 GHz, 6GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics

Re: First serious effort. 5 years, 3 months ago #40488

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Nice video, donkpow! Very peaceful.

Can you share with us some thoughts regarding what difficulties you experienced during creation of this video and how you managed to solve them.

I can imagine that compositing all those image animations wasn't exactly easy, so my questions are: Was it worth it? Will your second (similar) video be way easier to make?

Btw how many fps does that video have?

Re: First serious effort. 5 years, 3 months ago #40498

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Thanks, guys.

Compositing that many images does take a long time. Generally speaking, the hardest part for me is presenting the images in a transparent manner. I'd like the viewer to be drawn into each image, explore it, and find it appealing. That is what I want the effects to accomplish.

The most difficult image to deal with was the panorama. Everybody who submits, pays the same amount. The panoramic image needed more time for proper presentation. I ended up representing only the focal point and scale.

Since I don't make the music to fit the video, the video has to fit the music. The number of images doesn't fit well with the structure of the music. Like, an odd number of pictures but an even number of measures. Thankfully the music is designed expressly as "background" music. The last video I did, I had to cut the audio down by editing the music. The guy who does the music is an excellent craftsman and designs the music to be cut, looped, etc.

I believe I pushed the limits of lwks' effects. I see a lot of jumping on the big movements. I'm thinking my next project will not include such big movements. I'd like to run the thing at 60 fps and see if I can smooth out the jumps. The trouble is the presentation goes to Vimeo and Youtube. They have guidelines. This one is 29.97 fps 720p HD.

The credit section of the video is just plain bad. I heard one guy say he didn't look at the credits. What's that tell you?

Really, my skills need refined. That is where my next effort will be concentrated. This one was rushed. I was trying the beta release. Everybody was late. I had to interpret the material, select the music, create the graphics, and put it all together in 3 days.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top