Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'?

Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38293

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
Pleased to see this new Category so prior to me putting up the production I'm currently working on, I'll start off with a bit of a rant:

As a 'retired' broadcast TV professional, I've been an enthusiastic Lightworks supporter and Forum contributor for 12 months or so now. As far as I'm concerned, it is a superb product with a 'no brainer' price tag. I was pleased to see a reproduction of the RSN article about Henry Stein's Lightworks edit of the Led Zeplin 'Celebration Day' programme in the online 'High Definition' magazine. (issue #63) Good to see the publicity 'push' by the RSN team BUT how about some more of this? 'We' know about the Hollywood movies that have been cut on LW but this is largely lost on the 'great unwashed' out there in cyberspace.

A casual read through the various on-line photo/edit/post forums reveals scarcely any references to Lightworks. Even my occasional private promotion on some consumer or semi-pro Forum has been met with the equivalent of 'blank stares'. One evening, just 'cruisin for a bruisin' I provocatively replied on one Forum: 'Simple, ditch FCP and use Lightworks instead'. That too was met with relative silence. Take a look on line at the 'hype' surrounding the announcement of the BMD 'Cinema' camera when it was first mooted at NAB just last year. With production delays that could have caused a marketing catastrophy, they seem to have survived, relatively unscathed. Even the BMD website reguarly mentions the 'big three' NLEs. Lightworks? Who? What? Where? Not a whisper.

Perhaps my enthusiasm for Lightworks stems from my broadcast television videotape editing/engineering and Fujinon TV lens Sales background or perhaps it's simply because I was 'untainted' by any bias toward the other popular NLEs but my point is, isn't it about time Lightworks became a household name? The next time I hear some young 20something, fresh out of 'indie film school' parrot off: "5DMk11 and FCP", I think I'll choke!
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, RAID SSD, RAID HDD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 12.5 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9000B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38306

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
Good call. I have the same impression, coming from a pure hobbyist background. Even there it seems that a software can't be worth anything when it's cheap or even for free (unless it has a big stamp on it saying "open source", like gimp, blender, open office etc). Of course everyone has premiere or canopus, and of course they got it for free out of dubious sources, but still... "you know how much it costs when you would buy it?"
I also searched different video forums, and had the same results as you had.

So what to do about it? How could one help besides spreading the word?
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by Schloime.

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38309

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
I put Lightworks updates on a couple of other forums and although the initial number of viewings isn't high compared to the latest cameras, there is a steady number of viewings, so the numbers catch up in the longer term. The latest cameras always get the wow hits.

There are people who are waiting for the mac version to come out, however, someone did point out that Lightworks really needs to get onto that platform soon or an opportunity may be lost. Of course, it also needs to be without bugs.

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38310

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
@Schloime

I very rarely get offended by comments made on forums, however I would be very careful with regard to making statements like "Of course everyone has premiere or canopus, and of course they got it for free out of dubious sources,".

That is an incorrect assumption to imply for most people.

As a professional editor,I pay for every piece of software on my systems and I am certain most others do whether by donation to open source developers or paid licenced software.

I have no doubt some people do source cracked software but please don't assume that of everyone.

Offended.

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38312

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
@Abcronnie and all others I offended by accident: I am very sorry, I may have chosen the wrong words. I was solely referring to the hobbyist scene, especially here in Germany. By no means I tried to imply that professionals use stolen software.
Please accept my apology for that.
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38313

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
Schloime wrote:
I was solely referring to the hobbyist scene, especially here in Germany.

Thats a wrong assumption as well. Most hobbyists use software they got as a student, as a "used" license or as some special deals (like me and my Photoshop). Only very few out there use cracked software. Even in the private area of digital editing.

But I am not offended at all

Dieter

PS:

Most of the kiddies who actually crack software have no clue how to use the software at all and only brag about how they cracked it. I guess, these are not counted as proper users.
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38314

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
@Schloime

I appreciate your appology.

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
SYSTEM 2

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38318

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
@Abcronnie: Thank you, I am relieved now.

@MediaDS: Good point, I might have exagerated a bit, but I know quite a few examples of my theory.

But the question stays: How could LW be promoted better than by just talking about it? Should it be bundled to dedicated video hardware besides editshare's own? Is it time for a "LightWorks for dummies" book?

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38320

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
I think as soon as the installation, import and export problems are solved on the various platforms, it will be a very good idear to bang the drums, but until then only very persistent newcommers will succed and have a good experience with LW, the rest tend to end up frustrated and leave it for good. In other words the state of LW is very important when/if it should go viral(again).
Left right left right left right left
I love working for uncle Sam - I love working for uncle Sam
Let's me know iust who I am - let's me know just who I am

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38337

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
I suspect they're hoping that the release version of 11.1, with the option of 64 bit, will be addressing a number of issues.
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38350

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
Hi All,

I think there might be several answers to this, ranging from the platforms it is available on to how it works with the technologies available at the time for example Thunderbolt type hardware, touch screens, portable devices and such and also the stability of the Lightworks application itself along with compatibility with cameras (Aquisition) to importing (Contribution) to eventual delivery (Distribution) and its future proofing to a certain extent.

I think the days of bundling hardware with the application or vice versa are somewhat outdated these days. One only has to look at how Avid and to a certain degree Grass Valley, have open input/output for other devices like Blackmagic and AJA products.

Personally I am probably considered a bit of junkie when it comes to I/O devices for use with my editing workstations and more recently my laptop. I would probably not have even considered Avid Symphony for example if I had been tied to use Avid's Nitris box or similar. Put simply it is a wonderful device but I won't spend $6,000 for it. I used to own Grass Valley's Elite high end box worth some $7,000 but decided to sell it after I noticed that many of these and similar products are reaching EOL (End of Life) and subsequently will not be supported by the manufacturers.

I think that the cost of hardware from certain manufacturers will eventually play an important part but not the only consideration when someone is deciding whether or not to purchase a Lightworks licence for example. Technology is getting cheaper every year and to be honest some companies just make better products than others and keep up with technological changes and improvements in design whilst others rest on their existing product range hoping to sell by volume.

I think that a lot of potential users of Lightworks also have a certain expectation of an "Editing Package'. That is to say, when Final Cut was made available, all and sundry loved it because they could do everything with it from basic cutting to compositing to producing online material or DVD's to composing their music tracks. Now, Lightworks can do some of these things but basically what it does really really well is import, edit and export. So I think there is always going to be a certain amount of comparing going on amongst the newbies.

Where Lightworks stands out from the rest of the bunch in my opinion, is its (Editshare's) commitment to making the best 'Editor' on the market and continually listening to users feedback for improvements they suggest. Their continual support for the product and an obvious awareness of the uses their software is put to, be it in a professional or hobbyist environment is testimony to their commitment.

Importantly, Editshare has always been honest and upfront about the road it is taking with regard to the development of an open source Lightworks. One of the results of which I believe, is this very forum. Some of the most extraordinarily talented people post here and what's more it is well known to be one of the most cordial forums around and what a wonderful resource for any newcomer.

Unlike other software manufacturers they have developed and maintained a very strong following in both Film & Broadcast markets, and are right on the money with emerging technologies, for example with stories and information in their digital magazine 'Redshark'.

I think these are all points Editshare has carefully considered when setting up its business model for the future and I am a firm believer that there are already a lot of people watching this space for the soon to be released Linux and Mac versions which will no doubt put Lightworks way ahead in terms of take up by new users.

Word of mouth is by far the best recommendation IMHO and am asked regularly about what platforms and editing software I use. I always take the opportunity mention Lightworks and point people to the Lightworks website along with discussing what I believe are the advantages of Lightworks vs Avid vs Edius vs Premiere Pro.

Just my thoughts

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
SYSTEM 2
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by ABCRONNIE. Reason: GRRR spelling errors

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years, 1 month ago #38357

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
The public Beta release of the Linux version will be an important moment. Linux may have a small OS market share but nevertheless it still has lots of users globally. There are some existing video editors for the Linux platform (I haven't tried them yet) but Lightworks will be the most fully featured and the only one designed for film and broadcasting.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.

Re: Isn't it about time Lightworks went 'viral'? 5 years ago #39600

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years ago
Whenever I talk with others about video, I tell them everything I know. Usually taking about two minutes. I always mention Lightworks.

I've been in quite a few conversations over the POV cameras. They seem to be very popular.The resulting videos are b-o-r-i-n-g. Riding around on the handle bars of a bicycle for half an hour. Oh the joy.

I did have a conversation with a young professional videographer in a coffee shop. He does some kind of rough editing before submitting his video for the news program. For a guy like that, a low cost professional editor is a meal ticket. I imagine his side projects will be edited in Lightworks, too.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 5 years ago by donkpow.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds
Scroll To Top