Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scrutineers Animation

Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224606

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Fun volunteer project I just completed for Scrutineers, an election integrity organization.
My first real foray into serious FX compositing in Lightworks. Quite a learning curve especially on layering and timing multiple DVE's and building layers of composited keys, cropped animation elements with masks and background mattes.
The original animated graphics art was a single full screen animation with all of the different elements you see in the video drawn in a circular pattern around the logo in an order that somewhat matched the script visually but was half the time length. The final version incorporates more than sixty individual elements in three layers roughly corresponding to upper, middle, and lower thirds elements.
The soundtrack was edited in Mixbus from the best parts of four different narration tracks and a looped music bed. Then the video was constructed and timed to the soundtrack.
I would especially appreciate some feedback on the sound mix since I'm not trusting my old ears so much these days. Reference monitor is a pair of AKG Studio 240 headphones with Sonarworx Dirac EQ and phase correction applied. I was trying to match the narration quality to the music bed for timbre and reverb so it sounds like it is all in the same environment.

Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224607

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
First, my aged ears felt that the mix was OK. But as a previous part-time election official here in Australia, I find that video horrifying. The edit is good and compelling, but the voting process is so obviously open to corruption.

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224608

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Some years ago used the concept of the Gene Krupa Buddy Rich drum battle (percussion only studio recorded sound-alike not the actual track) for a series of election ads; an election our candidate won handsomely and for all the right reasons.

For a bunch of advertising jargon justification dividing the call to action list into individual challenges with repetitive dynamic unstoppable travel on the Z axis to create a compelling pathway to change - which of course finally resolved on a transition to the candidate/party animation complete with 3 word slogan.

BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224621

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
First, my aged ears felt that the mix was OK. But as a previous part-time election official here in Australia, I find that video horrifying. The edit is good and compelling, but the voting process is so obviously open to corruption.

Horrifying is an accurate description of what we face in this year’s election process. If you have access to HBO, see if you can stream their documentary “Kill Chain”.

The electronic voting systems all have what the vendors tout as a “feature” in their software that allows for weighted elections. It allows votes to be counted as fractions with values of more or less than one. The vendors say this is needed for local election issues on land use in jurisdictions where votes are weighted by how much land you own. But anyone with access to program that feature can rig an election.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224639

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
In our country we have an independent electoral body to manage elections and define electoral boundaries. They are also responsible for setting up and manning polling places. Paper ballots are used, voting is one person, one vote and cannot be weighted, and absentee and mail-in voting is provided for. Voting is preferential, which means that the initial result may be overturned on a count of preferences. Each polling place counts their ballots at the end of polling and sends the result along with the bound ballots to a central body in each electorate.

We do have scrutineers - they are a single nominated person per polling place per candidate, and can only attend when polling ends and the count begins. If they in any way come into contact with ballots they will be ejected. I've seen that done to a scrutineer who represented the candidate for the government of the day. He was furious and only left when threatened with the police. There was no comeback from his party then or subsequently in the court of disputed returns.

And finally, we don't have an electoral college and we don't ask voters to identify the party that they support when they enrol. That is their own business. The process isn't perfect, but it works for us.

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224646

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
In our country we have an independent electoral body to manage elections and define electoral boundaries. They are also responsible for setting up and manning polling places. Paper ballots are used, voting is one person, one vote and cannot be weighted, and absentee and mail-in voting is provided for. Voting is preferential, which means that the initial result may be overturned on a count of preferences. Each polling place counts their ballots at the end of polling and sends the result along with the bound ballots to a central body in each electorate.

We do have scrutineers - they are a single nominated person per polling place per candidate, and can only attend when polling ends and the count begins. If they in any way come into contact with ballots they will be ejected. I've seen that done to a scrutineer who represented the candidate for the government of the day. He was furious and only left when threatened with the police. There was no comeback from his party then or subsequently in the court of disputed returns.

And finally, we don't have an electoral college and we don't ask voters to identify the party that they support when they enrol. That is their own business. The process isn't perfect, but it works for us.

Wish we could get back to hand marked and hand counted paper ballots here. It is so much simpler and easier to manage than what we have now. Certainly more transparent and easier to monitor. Not to mention a lot cheaper. The new voting systems they purchased this year in SC cost $52 million and do print out a paper ballot that is readable, but the electronically tabulated vote of record is a f*ing barcode, not the readable text. A paper ballot system counted by optical scanners would have only cost $10 million. The only reason to buy the computers is to cheat, keeping a minority party in power against the wishes of the people.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224648

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
David Rasberry wrote:

Horrifying is an accurate description of what we face in this year’s election process. If you have access to HBO, see if you can stream their documentary “Kill Chain”.

The electronic voting systems all have what the vendors tout as a “feature” in their software that allows for weighted elections. It allows votes to be counted as fractions with values of more or less than one. The vendors say this is needed for local election issues on land use in jurisdictions where votes are weighted by how much land you own. But anyone with access to program that feature can rig an election.

So far up here in the Great White North, paper ballots are used.
As long as the software and hardware in the voting machines is not open source they can not be considered trustworthy.
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Scrutineers Animation 1 month, 2 weeks ago #224649

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Who can forget the Florida 2000 hanging chad?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Our system here is fair and strictly supervised but still complex in many ways - being a preferential voting system where one's vote is passed on from first to subsequent marked preferences - and while a voter can elect to limit the preferences to a political party endorsed selection with a single "1" or a personal choice of a minimum, depending on each election's rlules, of about 10. Of if they prefers voters can still elect to number each candidate in their order of preference - so for a Senate paper that may mean 60 or 80 candidates to be numbered in one's preferred sequence without missing any - not easy.

The key to fair and accessible elections there is that they are the responsibility of and controlled by a Federal or state Electoral Commissions; entities which are answerable to national and state laws and ultimately to the courts instead of self-interested political parties, governors, prime ministers or presidents.

We do not directly elect our head of government - the Parliament does that and the Parliament has the power to replace the head of government - in recent years we have had a number of Prime Ministers from a political party replaced by an alternative from the same party - as the majority party they can appoint the prime minster of their choice by party room ballot.

We don't have a head of state equivalent to your president. Seems form a distance that the modern USA head of state is less a figurehead and inspirational national leader and more and more just another political apparatchik pulling strings.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds
Scroll To Top