Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me)

Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223591

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hey folks!

The trailer I made (in Lightworks) for the feature I edited last year (in Lightworks!) is now up:

Bleed With Me - FESTIVAL TRAILER

Had to do the online edit for the trailer in Premiere (because Lightworks Pro can't export custom aspect ratios yet, gahh!!!) but was a lot fun to come back to the story in a new way after about a year in between the edits.

If you want to see the full film too, tickets are on sale now for the screenings through Fantasia Festival's online version at the end of the month! Link's in video description or you can read more about the film here.

Thanks everyone!
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by SepiaStudios.

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223597

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Impressive work. Adobe Premiere, eh?

One question referring to custom aspect ratios: What Vimeo shows, at least when downloading the highest available quality from the MPEG-DASH container, is 1920x1080 16:9 with black bars on top and bottom. What custom aspect ratio do you mean?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly. Reason: typos

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223601

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks hugly!

My memory of the online edit is a little fuzzy (was a rush, of course), but I thiiink it's because the aspect ratio of the film is 1.85. Our 4K master output for the DCP was 3996 × 2160 (DCI 4K Flat cropped), but the colour corrected master file we received from the post-house is pillar-boxed 4K (4096x2160). So if you scaled down the file without cropping, you'd get black bars on every side:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Letterbox + Pillarbox example on 16x9 output

Anyway, that's a bit beside the point. Main thing is that Lightworks can export at 3840x2160 (UHD), or 4K 4096x2160 (QFHD I think it's called in the program?), but we needed 3996 × 2160 (1.85) for our clean, master output.

Of course then Vimeo/streaming version then gets letterboxed. But it was a bit of a frustrating hiccup finding out we didn't have the option at all to export our master file at its native resolution, so I just XML'd the sequence and did the output from Premiere.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by SepiaStudios.

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223603

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Ahh, edited in Lightworks and moved to Premiere just for export, I see.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Have you ever considered using 10-bit DPX image sequences for your clean master output? DCI 4K cropped is a bit hidden at the very end of the list, but it's there. Potentially, this would have the benefit of working around possibly existing hassle caused by XML interchange..
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223605

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you! Yes, I did see that while I was figuring things out. It made me slightly more frustrated that it was an option in one output and not others, ha.

DPX is great, but exporting it as an image sequence was a bit excessive for our purposes. Even for the film's DCP our post-house requested DNxHR or ProRes files of the master output, which they then turned into an image sequence to spec for the DCP.

That's why I knew from the beginning last year that I couldn't do the online in Lightworks -- there's no DNxHR support. :/ When I came back to do the trailer I thought I could get around it using Cineform, etc as I was handing off the picture output to the director so she could link it with the final sound. Exporting as DPX, then bringing it back into Lightworks to crop -- instead of just, you know, being able to set a custom aspect ratio from the get go -- introduced too many steps. Premiere was an extra step, but at least then it was easy to re-export a section if we needed to swap out a shot.

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223607

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I'm a big friend of custom aspect ratios and would be happy to see them as preview mask and on export with all supporting formats, better sooner than later.

Changes to the available formats have been mentioned from official side quite a while ago, but I'm not sure if what I'd wish to see is what we'll see, we will see.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223608

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Totally. Maybe I'll make a feature request. Because these two things (lack of DNxHR support, custom aspect ratios) are a huge wall for Lightworks on Windows being a one-stop shop for me professionally. When I bought the DNxHD license, I would've thought DNxHR would be included... alas.

Re: Trailer for feature length horror film (Bleed With Me) 2 months, 2 weeks ago #223612

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
SepiaStudios wrote:
Maybe I'll make a feature request.

My suggestion, do it! The software needs new talents and new talents need appropriate tools for commercial work.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top