Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Photo Mosaic video

Photo Mosaic video 3 days, 19 hours ago #209135

• markst3ph3n
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 19 hours ago
I'm a beginner and have been wanting to do a photo mosaic video where the video image stops then explodes with multiple photos (something similar to at the 0:33 mark).

I've tried searching, but couldn't find any tutorials. maybe i'm using the wrong keywords.

IS there a way to do this in lightworks? If anyone can point me to the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Re: Photo Mosaic video 3 days, 17 hours ago #209138

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 days, 17 hours ago
You could, but it will be extremely hard work. There isn't an effect that will just do it for you. You will have to map the images that you want and where you want them to go. Work out the timing and the path you want them to follow, then progressively build the layers, moving and scaling them with a 2D DVE or a 3D DVE. If you want anything like the numbers in your example you will almost certainly need to break the complete effect into grouped submasters which you will need to render.

Since you're a free user that will mean exporting each group as you go, and since you're limited to a maximum frame size of 720p and can only use a reasonably heavily compressed MP4 your final picture quality will likely be pretty abysmal.

The best free tool to do this is probably Blender, but if you've never used it before it has an extremely steep learning curve. With Blender 2.81 you can use the image tool to map images onto planes in 3D space. That will let you do exactly what you see there. Again, it will be a time consuming process, and will involve a fair degree of planning. You could probably also work out a way to do it using particles to drive the image motion, but that isn't something that I've explored.

Re: Photo Mosaic video 3 days, 15 hours ago #209143

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 15 hours ago
markst3ph3n wrote:
I'm a beginner and have been wanting to do a photo mosaic video where the video image stops then explodes with multiple photos

The video you've linked to shows a demo of picturemosaics.com. The task of putting something like this together piece by piece, with whatever software not specialized on creating animated picture mosaics, is very hard, as mentioned by jwrl. I think it's practically not doable for beginners.

Have you ever considered trying their online solution? I gather that downloading the result in high quality costs some money, but regarding the effort of creating this without specialized software, it might be worth a thought?

If you decide going this way, let us know how it worked for you.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 days, 15 hours ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top