Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need help to polish up a 9 min video

Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194452

• robgreatrex
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Need help to finish off a 9 min video with a couple of transitions and general tweaking. The video was shot on a GoPro (regrettably) and I have created the basic story line with title, main content and credits but the transitions are clunky and need smoothing out. Since being a newbie to the lightworks program I underestimated the technical learning curve needed and am frustrated. Happy to pay for some one to sit and tweak the work. Regards Rob Greatrex

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194465

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Where are you?

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194474

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Failing that, leave it for a day or two and revisit the edit. Make a copy of the current sequence and then start the next "draft" of your video using the copy.

Editing is rather like writing, which is more about the rewrites than the writing.

Time will give you fresh eyes, so you can quickly spot the sections that jar you.

This video tutorial on trimming may assist you. Ignore the layout (it's basically like the flexible layout in the V14 series), the procedures are pretty similar regardless of the layout.

I would create a test sequence to play around with, rather than your main sequence. You can create as many sequences (and copies) as you want within a project, so you can safely play.

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194499

• robgreatrex
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for our response, I am currently in Long Beach, CA.

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194501

• robgreatrex
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
replying to Brianrys.... Thanks for your response. The trouble for me is that I have dyslectic fingers. To put that in context, I am told that today (03/12/19) is the 30th anniversary of the WWW. 30 years ago I was running around with 3 kids, a seemingly never ending mortgage and a burning desire to change the world. Having out grown all of those, I am left with a retired mind, failing appendages and a 9 min Lightworks video that frustrates the hell out of me. I have learned in 30 years to know when, with cap in hand, to call in the cavalry.

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194521

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
That response from briandrys is perhaps the best that you'll get. It's amazing how often coming back and looking at your cut with fresh eyes shows you the glaringly obvious problem(s) that somehow slipped under the radar the first time round.

Don't assume that age will stop you - 30 years ago my kids were all in their late teens, and I have just been called out of retirement to work on a special effects project for a feature film. Let your mind retire when you decide and no sooner.
Last Edit: 8 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194530

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Using the keyboard, rather than drag and drop may assist you with some of the operations. The keyboard is often faster and more accurate.

Here's the first video in a series of 4, on keyboard short cuts found here: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=246&start=QuickStart

You can find print outs of the keyboard here:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=24&id=25384&Itemid=81

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 4 weeks ago #194538

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
If briandrys's approach does not suit - exactly what is your plan - for someone to sit with you while they are doing final tweaks??
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 3 weeks ago #194575

• robgreatrex
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Lightworks professionals are not an easy breed to find, (hence my call out on this forum), so with my back to the wall I can either
1) get lucky and find some one in my area (Long beach) to do the works in person for a paid sum.
2) Send the file over dropbox and then do a skype / teamviewer call to run thru, again for a do and charge basis
3) forsake lightworks and give the raw file and instructions to start the whole thing again in another software platform where there are more gig players.

I am at the point where it would be nice to have had lots of time to do this myself but for various reasons this is not likely to happen.

Hope this clarifies.
Last Edit: 8 months, 3 weeks ago by robgreatrex.

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months, 3 weeks ago #194578

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Yes it does, perhaps it may arouse interest from users reading this.

It does seem there is an intent to remain very active in the finishing process, and that's quite reasonable, but it does sound a little more demanding than the original post might indicate.

The other alternative may be to obtain the shortest possible Pro licence and export the project in an interchange format compatible with handover to other software.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Need help to polish up a 9 min video 8 months ago #195774

• smyrf
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months ago
All I can say is it took me one or two projects of relatively significant complexity and length to get really comfortable with editing in LW - the kbd shortcuts, etc. - as well as understanding what I was actually doing, and how each action affected other tracks, keeping sync, etc. Although I should add I was learning the art of editing itself in addition to Lightworks...

And although I'm not familiar with other NLEs, I think I can confidently say that I'm glad I discovered LW, whose philosophy and elegant (keyboard-based!) simplicity sits very well with me.

But I think for this very reason you'll probably find it has a much steeper learning curve than other NLEs, where everything seems to be mouse-based. Easy to just jump in and start using, but (IMO) cumbersome and time-consuming.

So maybe just sticking through it is the best option; it might turn out to be a rewarding experience!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.56 seconds
Scroll To Top