Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos

My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189892

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Hello everyone

In order to practice using Lightworks as well as the Boris FX package and Fusion 9 plugins, I embarked on a project using Star Wars theme and some material. First and foremost; all of this is done for my own personal use and for the purpose of practicing my skills. In no way do I wish to infringe on copyright laws so mods if you decide that this thread could be then feel free to remove it. The reason I want to post here is to get your opinions and feedback on what I could do better and more efficiently.

Now my first part was to create a VFX of a lightsaber. Here is my first render of such, and yes, it is yours truly holding the saber. After holding the hilt, I added the FX using Fusion. The clip is 10 seconds, therefore has 240 frames. I painstakingly nudged the effect almost at every frames, skipping some near the end to see what would happen. I now realize that I will have to correct the effect in each and every frame. Also, the lightsaber could have been longer and a bit wider and the glow toned down a tad as well. Am still working on the chromakey to get it to work with the glow. (still working on it jwrl)

I have read and viewed videos about rotoscoping. For the life of me I do not see a difference... or am I viewing poor videos? I am aware that at some point rotoscoping will become necessary. Any and all input and criticism most welcomed. Thanks

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189906

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
In Star Wars the halo of the laser beam is green and as far as I know they shoot Blue Screen. Maybe worth a try (or blue halo in front of Green Screen)?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year ago by hugly.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189909

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Green and blue lightsabers are for Jedis, red for Sith. (Am such a SW geek)
Don't have a blue screen, just a green one, unless I shoot outside on a clear blue sky.

Danny

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189910

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
I think if you use blue or red primaries in front of green screen you'll have less trouble keying the halo.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189915

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
hugly wrote:
In Star Wars the halo of the laser beam is green and as far as I know they shoot Blue Screen. Maybe worth a try (or blue halo in front of Green Screen)?

I wouldn't, and they didn't, change the screen colour depending on the flare that they were going to apply in post production. Why would you do that? It would be pointless unless you already knew that you were going to get serious colour fringing artefacts. And if that was the case you would use a screen colour that matched the planned flare colour, not a contrasting one.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189917

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Yes, makes sense. I don't know how they did it, but I asked in another discussion.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189918

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
They have used various techniques over the years depending on whether they were going with a film optical finish or a digital Fx one. The very first used ScotchCal wrapped around broomsticks lit down the optical axis of the lens by a front projected light. Overlaid rotoscoped flares were then optically printed onto the camera footage.

And that is a gross oversimplification.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189928

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Hi Guys

Here is a second take with sound. Changed the color for my buddy Hugly!!

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189934

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Ahh green, it makes the actor (you, I assume) look almost like a real Jedi. However, can't remember having seen a Jedi with sun glasses, but it looks cool.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by hugly.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189935

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year ago
hugly wrote:
Ahh green, it makes the actor (you, I assume) look almost like a real Jedi. However, can't remember having seen a Jedi with sun glasses, but it looks cool.

It does, doesn't it!!!

My next step is to do a lightning attack and duplicate my lightsaber effect in order to have 2 persons in the same clip with a lightsaber.

One thing I see in my effect is an angle line in the glow, top left of the effect... I don't know where that is coming from.

Danny

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189955

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
SgtDannySgt wrote:
One thing I see in my effect is an angle line in the glow, top left of the effect... I don't know where that is coming from.

It's most likely caused by the type of blur that you're using. Blurs are produced by sampling a range of pixels around the current pixel that you're addressing. Depending on the technique used and what it does when it hits the edge of frame you can get that sort of artefact. Experiment with different blurs and blur settings and see what happens.

If you ended up doing it in Fusion, rather than use a glow, try a variblur or two directional blurs at right angles to each other. Colorgrade the blur(s) using colour curves or colour corrector.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jwrl.

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #189962

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Hi mate

The effect was done in Fusion and then edited in the clip in Lightworks. OK I will see if I can change the blur somewhat using your suggestions. Thanks jw

Danny

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 1 year ago #190085

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Here is my latest in this project. I have now learned how to do 2 lightsaber effects in 1 clip using Fusion 9, and how to clone myself in Lightworks.

It is phenomenal the amount of hours required to learn the tools and skills in order to create these. Makes me appreciate even more all the work in post-production of films, series etc...

Am now working on laser blaster effects. That one I am trying to do in Boris FX, but, as Fusion, there is quite the steep learning curve.

Am also attempting to learn how to change the eye colors in a clip and how to track it as well.

Danny

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 11 months, 2 weeks ago #190766

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Here is a chromakey clip of a Sith Lord (my son). If you observe closely, there seems to be a flicker on the clothing. I don't know what is causing this. Am thinking it could be due to my camera settings? I took the clip in a basement, in low lighting conditions so I put my shutter speed to 1/60 with ISO 400. Would that cause the "flickering"? Any way to correct it? Thanks

Danny

Re: My newest project: My Star Wars practice videos 11 months, 2 weeks ago #190774

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Looks like noise caused by the low light levels is triggering the keyer. Try adding baopao's ALE_Smooth_Chroma before the chromakey. You'll find it in COLOUR GRADING. Alternatively, his SkinSmooth effect in FILTERS might also help.

You could try an alternative keyer as well. Again, baopao has an effect called Ale_ChromaKey which I've found very useful in the past. Another one which also uses an entirely different approach to the Lightworks one is nicholas_carroll's INK. Although it's a very simple keyer in terms of the user interface, under the hood it's extremely sophisticated. The only one of my keyers that may help is Simple chromakey, but I would be more inclined to try either of the first two.

I haven't recommended Chromakey plus. It would almost certainly be able to correct the problem, but you have to have a solid grasp of keying technology to get the best out of it.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top