• Page:

TOPIC: My latest video

My latest video 3 weeks, 6 days ago #188350

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Hello everyone

Have been learning Lightworks and adding more effects as I go along. Here is my latest. Any input and comments always welcomed.

youtu.be/p6UoOsOnTB8

Danny

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 6 days ago #188354

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Hello Danny,

Great video.

I assume it's captured in 1080p or above. Would you mind sharing an exported archive of the sequence including media on a file hosting service of your choice, e.g. wetransfer.com/. I'd like to see how that looks exported at full resolution and uploaded to Youtube.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 6 days ago #188355

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Nice bunch of drone shots - your piece is also nice gives the impression of being much about style and movement - so here's a bit of nit-picking.

At times perhaps it may be better to sacrifice the part of the shot where it becomes unsteady and spoils the visual flow - yeah I know one didn't quite get to the structures passing under camera - but for the sake of the flow ---.

The colour difference between the shots joined with the vertical wipe is extreme/jarring - perhaps could have tried to (a) grade the incoming shot (b) applied some softness to the wipe. Also given the compelling forward motion of the camera perhaps worth trying horizontal bottom to top wipes to complement the camera movement?

Given the smooooothness of the image movement perhaps a smooth curve on the wipes might have been more stylistically complementarity?

Tilting the drone camera during a wide angle fly-over (and using the tilt on-screen in the end result) is difficult. If flying time permits it may be better to do the camera reposition and go around for a second take over the bits where a camera tilt/reposition was necessary or where one didn't quite complete the fly-over the bridge thing.

It is important to be critical while shooting, assess whether or not the material acquired is, head to tail, 100% up to the desired standard - if in doubt go around for another take.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #188371

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
hugly wrote:
Hello Danny,

Great video.

I assume it's captured in 1080p or above. Would you mind sharing an exported archive of the sequence including media on a file hosting service of your choice, e.g. wetransfer.com/. I'd like to see how that looks exported at full resolution and uploaded to Youtube.

Hi Hugly

Here it is, uploaded to dropbox for ya!

www.dropbox.com/sh/b2yyoy7rmbofffd/AADsO1bYXh4qsn1PqstCEjVIa?dl=0

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #188372

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
RWAV wrote:
Nice bunch of drone shots - your piece is also nice gives the impression of being much about style and movement - so here's a bit of nit-picking.

At times perhaps it may be better to sacrifice the part of the shot where it becomes unsteady and spoils the visual flow - yeah I know one didn't quite get to the structures passing under camera - but for the sake of the flow ---.

The colour difference between the shots joined with the vertical wipe is extreme/jarring - perhaps could have tried to (a) grade the incoming shot (b) applied some softness to the wipe. Also given the compelling forward motion of the camera perhaps worth trying horizontal bottom to top wipes to complement the camera movement?

Given the smooooothness of the image movement perhaps a smooth curve on the wipes might have been more stylistically complementarity?

Tilting the drone camera during a wide angle fly-over (and using the tilt on-screen in the end result) is difficult. If flying time permits it may be better to do the camera reposition and go around for a second take over the bits where a camera tilt/reposition was necessary or where one didn't quite complete the fly-over the bridge thing.

It is important to be critical while shooting, assess whether or not the material acquired is, head to tail, 100% up to the desired standard - if in doubt go around for another take.

Good morning mate

Roger that! I will be more critical of my shooting next time I go out. In reviewing the video, you are correct in pointing out the colour difference, I should have picked that up. Thanks

Danny

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #188398

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
One does appreciate how difficult it is to achieve what you are making.

For drone shots in production there are generally two operators - a drone pilot and a camera operator.

In the olden days when we used to shoot from helicopters the in-demand pilots were the ones who had the best ability to manoeuvre, sometimes into almost extreme attitudes, that impossible flying platform to create the shot as planned and discussed pre-flight.

Seems to me that in a single operator drone situation best results might come from, as much as possible, pointing and moving with the drone platform, restricting camera adjustments to exposure control. If one must - pre-set gimbal tilt to the slowest and smoothest setting available and then anticipate the need to tilt - but possibly even then the result will not be as super-fluid as the motion of the drone itself - so don't expect every gimbal move to be usable on-screen.

Be brave - wearing the editor hat - ignore the inner camera operator - use only the best shots -
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #188401

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
I use a DJI Mavic Pro UAV which I purchased last July. I use an iPhone 5S to display the video and it is quite small for my old eyes. I do have a tripod mode which slows down the movement quite a bit and should use it more often.

Also the learning curve for Lightworks can get tough for me... but am improving.. combined with Blender which I just started (good thing I am retired).

I will be in Costa Rica for 3 months starting in mid-January so hopefully I will get lot's of practice.

Danny

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #188412

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
SgtDannySgt wrote:

Thanks for that.

This my version of it. I have no master degree in matching shots, but I tried some slight corrections for shifts in colour and exposure.

Please note: Youtube itself reduces quality visibly. A local Media player shows more.

My suggestions for your future recordings: It seems as if the aerial views are shot with automatic exposure, maybe with automatic white balance too? If true, I think disabling both will make correcting in post easier.
Shooting with a flat profile (if supported) instead of REC.709 will make grading for a certain looks much easier.
Shooting in 24 fps and reducing shutter speed to 1/60 sec or even below will give a more cinematic look. Lower shutter speeds add some motion blur to moving scenes. Beside of the cinematic, it helps reducing ringering/aliasing artifacts on very fine details which are clearly visible currently - If there are settings for in-camera sharpening, reduce the amount, for the same reason.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #188434

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
OK I will check my settings and make the adjustments. Thanks Hugly

Danny

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #188436

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Danny,

I hope you understand that it wasn't my intention to criticize your work. I find your edit great and was interested how it would look on Youtube in higher resolution and with a bit of grading.

I've attached an archive of the graded sequence without media (relinking might be needed) and, because it's impossible to create it with the Free version, you can download the file here (820MB).
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: My latest video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #188439

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
hugly wrote:
Danny,

I hope you understand that it wasn't my intention to criticize your work. I find your edit great and was interested how it would look on Youtube in higher resolution and with a bit of grading.

No worries mate, I always accept criticism in order for me to get better and better. I am still a rookie at video editing and appreciate the time and efforts put in by members of the forum to assist me and others. Cheers from a very early winter in Canada!

Danny
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top